My C25K diary

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    @kirstyfoy I’m so excited for you finishing the training.
    I ran week 5 day 2 today and next run is 20 straight minutes of running. It was so nice to get out of the house after my entire family being sick.
    Stats: 240 calories and 2.4 miles
  • kirstyfoy
    kirstyfoy Posts: 139 Member
    Well done @amgreenwell you're doing amazing! I'm a bit nervous of finishing!
  • kirstyfoy
    7gywmxys0ary.jpg

@redjanuaryuk day 17 😮 Couch to 5k Week 9 Run 1. The end is in sight! I ran for 30 minutes! I can't believe it! Still didn't quite hit 5k though... 🏁2.99miles/4.81km
    🏃‍♀️13.41
    💖147
    🔥637

14 more days for you to donate money to @mindcharity www.mind.org.uk/donate
  • amgreenwell
    @kirstyfoy what program are you doing? My c25k app is only 8 weeks. I'm jealous that you get a little extra time.
    I ran my week 5, day 3 today, 20 minutes of running. Felt great and I'm so ready to keep going!!
    Stats: 2.4 miles, 246 calories
  • kirstyfoy
    @amgreenwell It's the nhs app x
  • kirstyfoy
    19th Day of @redjanuaryuk and Week 9 Run 2 of Couch to 5k! Today I ran over 3 miles! Hence the celebratory 🤟 (closest I can get to 3 finger emoji) picture.

I really thought I had gone a lot slower than Thursdays run and had resigned myself to a distance of below 2.99miles. So when I looked at the Fitbit at the end of the programme I was pleasantly surprised.

It was COLD this morning. No frost, just cold. Had to do the warm up with my hood up! Once again I forgot my pre run drink but unlike Thursday I didn't get stitch!

The dog is definitely getting bored of 5 laps of the park 🤣 9 weeks ago we would do 1 with the kids in tow. Now he comes with me for 5 laps and we go out later with the kids for an extra lap. Every lap we do after 2 he runs to the gate to go home 😂

So I have been following a lot of people's c25k journeys and wondering how people have been struggling with some of the runs and then it hit me. Some of you are doing this on the treadmill 😮. There is no way I would have got as far as I have without having to repeat any weeks on a treadmill. The faff of hitting the speed button up and down when you're starting to struggle. Running outside means you can change your pace as and when you need to. Wind in your hair cooling you down. If you're struggling and haven't tried it go for a run outside. Some people have said they aren't brave enough to run outside yet, but I tend to go before sunrise or after sunset so no one sees me anyway except my dog or the odd dog walker and my mum and her dog. The only people who have ever commented have been fellow dog walkers who compliment me on how well I'm doing. Honestly it's not that scary.

🏁3.01miles/4.84km
    🏃‍♀️13'34
    💖151
    🔥648

Now off for another dog walk and then swimming with the kids and finally getting my hair done!
    zyaba2e7amsz.jpg
  • stoked2b
    stoked2b Posts: 136 Member
    Is W9D3 the last day of the NHS app? So the only thing left is to run an actual 5k distance of course ;)
    If you add in the 5 minute warmup and cooldown that's some pretty serious distance - around 3.4 miles I'm guessing
  • stoked2b
    edited January 2019
    I hope you don't mind me commenting on my journey in your thread, but otherwise this group seems pretty dead lately. I bought new running shoes last year but didn't put many miles on them. So I started new on Dec 31 with the Zenlabs C25K app (8 weeks). I have a treadmill but I live in the southern US so I tell myself I can run anytime it's over 40F, which it has been a lot lately. Also I set specific running days and settled on MWF because I go for a run on my lunch break at work and that's usually the warmest time of day.

I had some some light running in October so I jumped straight into week 2 since the amount of time running in week 1 is the same. I felt pretty good and kept going.into week 3. W3D1 seemed rough running that 4th time for 3 minutes. But the same run on W3D2 seemed easy, so I jumped right into W4D1 last Friday. Four runs of 3/5/3/5 but I aced it. I did it again today with W4D2 with major cold wind (20mph) in my face so I think next time it's this cold I'll dust off the treadmill.

I got a $100 discount on a Fitbit Charge 3 through work and it arrives Wednesday, so I'm hoping I can watch my heart rate for these longer runs that are coming up soon (esp. the Week 5 Day 3 20 minutes)
  • amgreenwell
    So freaking cold this morning so I didn't run but I'm at it again tomorrow to finish week 6 day 2 of this journey. My 5k is the second weekend in February so I've got to get these runs under my belt.
    So proud of you @kirstyfoy ! Keep it up!
  • kirstyfoy
    @stoked2b I've still got week 9, run 3 to go. Was supposed to be this evening but it hasn't stopped snowing so looking more likely to be tomorrow!

@amgreenwell I've admitted defeat. There's no way I'm running in this 🤣 Either weights or just a dog walk for my redjanuary!
  • amgreenwell
    Finished week 6, day 2 this morning with warm (41degrees) weather. It is strange how our weather fluctuates here so drastically. Anyway, it's done. just a few more runs until my race. I'm so excited!
    I run in my neighborhood at 5 a.m. and it is pitch black and cold...and sometimes a little scary b/c I'm not sure if shadows are chasing me or bears or dogs. LOL!
    My 5k race is at 9 or 10 a.m. on a riverwalk downtown. I'm so looking forward to the change in pace and scenery.
  • kirstyfoy
    aym16w6czozi.jpg

I DID IT! Well sort of... I graduated couch to 5k... without actually making it to 5k 🤣 I did however get a PB distance. It was COLD tonight. Hood up and sleeves down for the first lap!

Not why GPS map thinks I took a short cut across the field... I definitely didn't. Slightly dissappointed I only ran 0.01miles further than Saturday because I felt like I was on fire. Never mind.

🏁3.02miles/4.86km
    🏃‍♀️13'32
    💖145
    🔥638 calories

This run has also just taken me over the 25miles I signed up to do to get an @raceatyourpace medal

So Next steps are

✔Try and run 5k.
    ✔Go and do a park run.
    ✔Continue to run 3 times a week.
    ✔Run 25 miles in February to get my next Race at your pace medal.

@redjanuaryuk day 23! I have done some form of exercise every day for 23 days! Even when I've been tired and not bothered I've done it. Please feel free to visit www.mind.org.uk/donate to make a donation to @mindcharity.

#C25k #Couchto5k #RunningforBeginners #RaceAtYourPace #REDJanuary #REDer #ImNowARunner
  • stoked2b
    Way to go!
  • kirstyfoy
    xl9p2r9gpms4.jpg

Well there was 1 thing left to be done on my couch to 5k journey and that was to actually run 5k!

This morning I did it. 5 and a half laps round my park in 41 minutes and 59 seconds but whose counting 🤣

I'm so pleased I can now say I can run 5k. No walking involved. And I ran for 10 minutes longer than I have been running all week.

It actually wasn't a struggle. I knew what I had to do and paced myself. So who knows. Maybe a park run next week to celebrate the end of @redjanuaryuk and the beginning of Fitbruary.

So day 26 of Red january done. 5 days left for you to donate and me to keep going. Www.mind.org.uk/donate

#c25k #couchto5k #runningforbeginners #iamarunner #REDJanuary #REDer #Mind #running
  • stoked2b
    Woot! But did your dog make it 5k?
  • kirstyfoy
    @stoked2b yes that's him in the green light up collar! He could carry on going all day!
  • amgreenwell
    @kirstyfoy Congratulations on making your 5k!! Way to go!
    I finished week 7, day 3 this morning. VERY cold here, 21degrees at 5:30 a.m. !!
    Distance: 2.87
    calories: 283
    not sure of pace but I'm doing alright. My 5k race is next weekend so I've got the last week of runs to do to make it to my goal.
  • amgreenwell
    Finished week8 day 1. 37 degrees this morning and beautiful. I went 3.15 miles and burned 311 calories. I'm so glad to finally see the calories over 300. My race is next weekend!
    Two more days of training and I'll probably do a walk/run Thursday as to not miss a day.
  • stoked2b
    I've been skipping ahead a little bit. After the W5D3 20-minute run, I jumped straight to a 22-minute run and then a 26-minute run. So I'm essentially at W7D1 now. I will probably follow up with one more 25-min run and then jump to 28-min and 30-min next week.

One slight issue... I feel a slight pain in my right heel. This may be an excuse to buy new shoes.
  • kirstyfoy
    @stoked2b definitely sounds like a reason for new shoes or running socks!