Hal Higdon 10k Training Program: Novice (Progress Thread)

Replies

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    That dewd2 guy is an *kitten*. :D

Great run.

Yeah. I don't know why I listen to that "kitten" dude. :)
  • OldAssDude
    BTW - At least 2/3 of the nutjobs I run with were out on the trails early this morning in the snow. I slept in. I'll run tomorrow instead. Way to be dedicated @OldAssDude

Thank you soldier!

Did your nutjob running buddy's call you a "kitten"?
  • OldAssDude
    I am a little stressed about this weeks long run on Sunday, since the plan is calling me to run further than I have ever run before. Plus my short run is now what I used to consider a long run.

I CAN DO THIS!!!
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    I am a little stressed about this weeks long run on Sunday, since the plan is calling me to run further than I have ever run before. Plus my short run is now what I used to consider a long run.

I CAN DO THIS!!!

You got this.

As you're aware, the ole' slow and steady gets those longer distances achieved, building that endurance level up. Just go out and enjoy the time on your feet. :smile:
  • getfitfaster18
    getfitfaster18 Posts: 62 Member
    I've scanned through this thread (I'll be honest, I didn't read it all but got a good feel for whats in here).
    I've repeatedly been just terrible at following structured training plans so I was working with distance (increasing by about 10% per week).

I went C25K and then some time after that (about 3 years ago) I went 5 to 10K but didn't have any structure.
    Do you feel / know that the structured plan was better? Did it help your times?

My main goal while running is to enjoy it but getting faster is always fun / rewarding too.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member

I CAN DO THIS!!!

Of course you can. When you started, you couldn't run 3 miles. Then you couldn't run 5, until you tried it and did it. You've run 6, so what's one more mile? One of the great things about following a plan is discovering that you are capable of so much more than you thought you were.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited January 2019
    Not sure what the forecast is for your area @OldAssDude but here in the Harrisburg area it looks like we're about to get dumped on big time. Perhaps switch up and do your long run on Saturday or Monday if your weather looks the same.

Good luck. You got this!
  • OldAssDude

I CAN DO THIS!!!

You got this.

As you're aware, the ole' slow and steady gets those longer distances achieved, building that endurance level up. Just go out and enjoy the time on your feet. :smile:

Thanks. I definitely do the long ones slow. I step it up just a little on the short ones though.
  • OldAssDude
    I've scanned through this thread (I'll be honest, I didn't read it all but got a good feel for whats in here).
    I've repeatedly been just terrible at following structured training plans so I was working with distance (increasing by about 10% per week).

I went C25K and then some time after that (about 3 years ago) I went 5 to 10K but didn't have any structure.
    Do you feel / know that the structured plan was better? Did it help your times?

My main goal while running is to enjoy it but getting faster is always fun / rewarding too.

I never followed a plan before this. I started to do the C25K a while back, but did not like the fact that a plan to run 5k was based on running for time instead of distance. Do they assume that everyone can run their first 5k at under a 10:00/mi pace?

So I just randomly started running further each time (to the next bench, or the next tree, etc...), and within 6 months I worked my way up to running 5 miles.

My initial goal with this plan was to be able to at least double my distance, but the 10 mile plan did not have the optional run/cross day on Wednesday, so I opted for the half marathon novice plan.

As far as helping my time, it has helped my 5k time. Last Sunday their was a 5k race on my schedule. I did not enter a race, but I ran it hard and wound up getting my fastest 5k time (average pace of 13:16/mi). I think I could have done a minute better, but I had to run in snow, plus I ran about the first half mile slow.

I'm not really concerned about pace until I can run at least 10 miles first.
  • OldAssDude

I CAN DO THIS!!!

Of course you can. When you started, you couldn't run 3 miles. Then you couldn't run 5, until you tried it and did it. You've run 6, so what's one more mile? One of the great things about following a plan is discovering that you are capable of so much more than you thought you were.

Yeah. I used to consider 3 miles as a long run. Now 3 miles is my short run. I did cheat once on one of my long runs and ran 6.84 miles when I was scheduled for 5 miles, but I felt really good that day and decided to do an additional lap around the lake.

So technically, it's only a little further than that run. Just hope I feel that good tomorrow as I did that day.
  • OldAssDude
    Not sure what the forecast is for your area @OldAssDude but here in the Harrisburg area it looks like we're about to get dumped on big time. Perhaps switch up and do your long run on Saturday or Monday if your weather looks the same.

Good luck. You got this!

Yeah @dewd2 I've been watching the weather closely. Looks like we are getting mainly rain, and looks like there are a few hours or so of no rain mid day tomorrow before the temperature plummets. I'm going to shoot for that.

I don't mind the weather much anyway.

I think my main stress is that the plan is now calling for longer runs than I have ever done before, and it's just messing with my head a little.
  • spiriteagle99
    Wait until you try marathon training for the first time. Then almost every long run is a new distance, taking 2-3 or more hours. Figuring out safe routes, fitting it into the schedule, fueling before and during the run - it certainly messes with my head. And yet, somehow you manage to get it done, and it feels so good to know that you can.
  • OldAssDude
    Week 7 complete...

odzj4uvjooci.png

I was a little worried about the 7 mile run to begin with, and to top it off I came down with some sort of chest congestion and cough over the past couple days, which made me wonder if I could make the 7 miles.

Well I made it. I just kept it slow and steady the whole time.

Here is the activity in garmin connect...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3316841521

I will say that the laps around the lake are getting mentally shorter (if that makes any sense).

Also, when I come to the end of the long run, I ask myself if I think I can run another mile. Not to talk myself into it, but to mentally prepare myself for the next long run. :)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    You're almost done! Next week is 8 miles, then you get a drop back week, then on to 9, 10, and a HM!

I will say the jump from 10 to 13 is usually aided by an actual race. Running a race gives you the boost you need to make that jump (you can't help but get caught up in the excitement). Without signing up for anything I'd be tempted to keep the progression going instead of making the leap to 13.1. Maybe add an 11 and 12 miles long run in there (with one more drop back week after the 11 mile run).
  • spiriteagle99
    If you're coughing, it's best to take it easy until you stop. Continuing to run tends to prolong the congestion, at least for me.
  • OldAssDude
    You're almost done! Next week is 8 miles, then you get a drop back week, then on to 9, 10, and a HM!

I will say the jump from 10 to 13 is usually aided by an actual race. Running a race gives you the boost you need to make that jump (you can't help but get caught up in the excitement). Without signing up for anything I'd be tempted to keep the progression going instead of making the leap to 13.1. Maybe add an 11 and 12 miles long run in there (with one more drop back week after the 11 mile run).

On the 13.1 run, I will see how I feel at 10. If I don't think I can make it, I'll extend the program, but I'm going to do my best to make it :)
  • OldAssDude
    If you're coughing, it's best to take it easy until you stop. Continuing to run tends to prolong the congestion, at least for me.

I actually felt better after the run. I coughed up a bunch of icky stuff, then I felt much better. :)
  • OldAssDude

@dewd2

Another idea would be to just add a little distance to each long run starting this week to split up that 3.1 mile jump into the rest of the long runs.

How would that be?
  • spiriteagle99
    Alternately, since you don't have a real deadline, just do 8, 9, 10, 8, 11, 12, 10, 13.
  • OldAssDude
    Alternately, since you don't have a real deadline, just do 8, 9, 10, 8, 11, 12, 10, 13.

The place I have been doing the long runs for this plan has been the lake near my apartment. Each lap around the lake is 1.7 miles.

So I was thinking something like this...

8 (plan), but do - 8.5 (5 laps)
    10k (plan), but do - 6.8 (4 laps)
    9 (plan), but do - 10.2 (6 laps)
    10 (plan), but do - 11.9 (7 laps)
    13.1 (plan), but do - 13.6 (8 laps)

Then I would not have to extend the plan.

If I have to extend the plan, in my mind I would kinda feel like I failed to a certain extent. :(