Today I Learned...

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    cee134 wrote: »
    TIL Martin Short, Steve Martin and Tom Hanks have regular ‘colonoscopy parties’ where they prep together overnight and share one car on the ride to get their colonoscopies the next day.

You’re making that up

6yblo049jqx1.jpg

https://www.today.com/health/martin-short-tom-hanks-steve-martin-have-colonoscopy-parties-t131499
  • RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    TIL Martin Short, Steve Martin and Tom Hanks have regular ‘colonoscopy parties’ where they prep together overnight and share one car on the ride to get their colonoscopies the next day.

You’re making that up

6yblo049jqx1.jpg

https://www.today.com/health/martin-short-tom-hanks-steve-martin-have-colonoscopy-parties-t131499

I love when you cite your sources. 🤗

DMV guy needs more of this kind of clear communication

You mean D/M/V guy?
  • SirMxyzptlk
    SirMxyzptlk Posts: 841 Member

I met Steve Martin at an event. He doesn't shake hands and is a huge germaphobe, so this would not surprise me.
  • Den_of_Iniquity
    Den_of_Iniquity Posts: 424 Member
    edited January 2019

Speaking of Steve Martin, hes a really good banjo player, even won a Grammy for best bluegrass album. I did not know this.

https://youtu.be/CbA9JHkkaAk
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member

Speaking of Steve Martin, hes a rally good banjo player, even won a grammy for best bluegrass album. I did not know this.

https://youtu.be/CbA9JHkkaAk

Oh man, I still remember his banjo routines from "Let's Get Small". The bit about Nixon and how you can't be sad when you're playing the banjo. Actually I remember SO much of that and the "Wild and Crazy Guy" album.
  • BrandNewMan1970
    BrandNewMan1970 Posts: 373 Member
    2 things both sports related.

Mariano Rivera gave up 11 runs in post season in his entire career. More men can say they walked on the moon than can say they scored a run on him in the postseason.

Tom Brady (goat) has been in the afc championship game over 75% Lebron shoots free throws at 72%. You are more likely to see Brady in the AFC championship game than see Lebron make a FT.

Now hate away haters #stillhere
  • cee134

Mariano Rivera gave up 11 runs in post season in his entire career. More men can say they walked on the moon than can say they scored a run on him in the postseason.

Tom Brady (goat) has been in the afc championship game over 75% Lebron shoots free throws at 72%. You are more likely to see Brady in the AFC championship game than see Lebron make a FT.

1. Labron is injured. I'm not sure if he is still out or not.
    2. The frequency of Labron going to the free throw line is much more common then the amount of AFC championship games in 1 year. Since Labron goes to the line an average of 4 times a game, and makes 74% of them, and has played 1177 games so far, and there are 82 games a year in the regular season. It is statistically impossible to see Brady go to the AFC championship game more then watch Labron drain Free throws.
  • BrandNewMan1970
    BrandNewMan1970 Posts: 373 Member
    Thanks for Graham’s number. My mind is officially blown. We used arrow notation in an upper level math class in college. In a video the guy explains Graham’s number as a number i can’t even begin to grasp. Good lord.
  • Iscah13
    Iscah13 Posts: 1,954 Member
    There is an actual Cadbury world you can visit. Dreams do come true.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2019

1. Labron is injured. I'm not sure if he is still out or not.
    2. The frequency of Labron going to the free throw line is much more common then the amount of AFC championship games in 1 year. Since Labron goes to the line an average of 4 times a game, and makes 74% of them, and has played 1177 games so far, and there are 82 games a year in the regular season. It is statistically impossible to see Brady go to the AFC championship game more then watch Labron drain Free throws.

Agreed math is all wrong on the original post. Just because he has a higher percentage doesn't mean you are more likely to see him.

For example, if a player goes to one super bowl and wins it, he has won 100% of the super bowls he's been to. Yet, you are more likely to see Tom Brady in a super bowl even though his win percentage is lower.

That said I've seen Lebron drain more free throws in a game than Brady has been to AFC Championships.

Correction: Math is right, logic is wrong.

Correct. The odds of lebron making any single free throw are less than the odds that Brady makes the AFC championship game in any single season (assuming lebron is shooting the free throw and Brady is playing that season).
  • cee134
    TIL that in 1946, a trapped moth caused a malfunction in the early computer which resulted in the term 'bug' to be coined for all software errors.
  • cee134
    TIL that in 1946, a trapped moth caused a malfunction in the early computer which resulted in the term 'bug' to be coined for all software errors.

But wouldn’t that be a bug in the hardware?

ETA: also, I think it’s a phrase that predates computers.

Ever wondered where the term ‘bug’ came from? Well, on September 9, 1945, U.S. Navy officer Grace Hopper found a moth between the relays on the Harvard Mark II computer she was working on. In those days computers filled (large) rooms and the warmth of the internal components attracted moths, flies and other flying creatures. Those creatures then shortened circuits and caused the computer to malfunction.

The term ‘bugs in a computer’ had been used before, but after Grace Hopper wrote in her diary “first actual case of bug being found” the term became really popular, and that’s why we are still using it today.

a90la4k7prpc.jpg

https://thenextweb.com/shareables/2013/09/18/the-very-first-computer-bug/
  • RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member

But wouldn’t that be a bug in the hardware?

ETA: also, I think it’s a phrase that predates computers.

Ever wondered where the term ‘bug’ came from? Well, on September 9, 1945, U.S. Navy officer Grace Hopper found a moth between the relays on the Harvard Mark II computer she was working on. In those days computers filled (large) rooms and the warmth of the internal components attracted moths, flies and other flying creatures. Those creatures then shortened circuits and caused the computer to malfunction.

The term ‘bugs in a computer’ had been used before, but after Grace Hopper wrote in her diary “first actual case of bug being found” the term became really popular, and that’s why we are still using it today.

a90la4k7prpc.jpg

https://thenextweb.com/shareables/2013/09/18/the-very-first-computer-bug/

She loves it when you cite your sources.