Daily weigh-ins? Yes! What are your thoughts?

Replies

• bolty264
    bolty264 Posts: 2 Member
    If it helps you with accountability then fantastic.

I wouldn’t get caught up on the numbers though. There are sooooooo many variables that can effect what you weigh on a given day. Such as:

Hydration status.
    How much food is in your digestive system.
    If you’ve been to the bathroom or not.
    Stress levels.
    Muscle loss or gain.
    Stored muscle glycogen.

And that’s just the similarities for both men and women. For the fairer sex you also have to account for your monthly cycle. This means that day to day can give you a inaccurate representation. A fair comparison would be between the same points in your cycle.

I don’t weight daily. Actually I hardly weigh myself at all. I go off how I look the mirror. I do this by taking a weekly photo. Taking measurements could also be a good option.
  • jonewe05
    jonewe05 Posts: 5 Member
    Weigh myself once every few weeks or so. I like seeing a bigger shift in the numbers, and day to day fluctuations are meaningless anyway.

I tend to measure shorter term progress by how loose my belt feels.

The belt don't lie!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    The happy scale app is awesome! Plugged in my info yesterday and will start putting in my daily weight,
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Ahh you need to buy the scale for the Libra app. 👍

??.

No, Libra doesn't need a particular scale. You can use the app and put your weight in it daily.
  • gizzi246
    gizzi246 Posts: 1 Member
    I have tried it both ways - and settled somewhere in the middle - weighing daily taught me how much my weight can fluctuate so I actually obsess less. Now I weigh myself most days, only recording my weight when there is a loss. If I stay at a plateau for more than 2 weeks (no additional loss), I know I need to change something in my routine - add more exercise, change the types of foods, watch my salt more...… so far I have seen slow but steady loss since September a total of only 22 pounds but many NSV's as I have been steadily changing my habits
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Ahh you need to buy the scale for the Libra app. 👍

??.

No, Libra doesn't need a particular scale. You can use the app and put your weight in it daily.

Thanks! I went back and now using!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    I weigh in daily, but I have a long term and realistic mindset. I've run a few self experiments to see how much hydration impacts my weight and noted that my weight varies ~5 lbs throughout the day.

I would say that if someone has an issue with daily weigh ins they either don't understand the process very well and/or need to seriously consider changing their mindset.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I weigh in daily, but I have a long term and realistic mindset. I've run a few self experiments to see how much hydration impacts my weight and noted that my weight varies ~5 lbs throughout the day.

I notice this most after a night of drinking. As long as I don't go overboard, and don't hit the snacks that go along with drinking, I can see 2-3 lbs loss the next day.
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    I just down loaded “My Weight” app. That I like very much.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »

I notice this most after a night of drinking. As long as I don't go overboard, and don't hit the snacks that go along with drinking, I can see 2-3 lbs loss the next day.

I noticed the same. Since weighing daily and reviewing the data I see several trends at play.

If I have an unusually intense workout session I gain and hold weight for about a week. Drinking results in a slight loss. Travelling results in a slight gain.
  • Lazy_Bones_1985
    Lazy_Bones_1985 Posts: 49 Member
    I travel heavily for work so I weigh in every morning that I am home and able to use the same scale. I log each weigh-in.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    I really like the app Happy Scale and weighing daily!
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Never.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    I weigh daily and also use Happy Scale for trending and comparison purposes.

It turns out that my weight is very stable unless I binge eat; it also turns out that I very reliably gain water weight in the week before my period.

I now weigh less to track my weight, and more to predict my period :)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I'm so addicted to weighing daily that my wife put her makeup kit on the scale (we're preparing for a move) and the watch batteries are out. I don't know what to do!!
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Daily weigh in.

I'm accepting of a max 5 pound differential from one day to the next. Otherwise, I risk my weekly average being off-goal.