Coffee ideas

jesseme
jesseme Posts: 51 Member
This has probably been posted thousands of times, but...
Any suggestions on how to make coffee taste good and be healthier? I love my morning coffee. For my husband and son's sake, I need my cup or two. I also love cream and sugar in my coffee. I've tried the whole stevia route, but just cant get used to the aftertaste.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited January 2019
    I had better luck getting used to coffee with no sweetener at all than with artificial sweetener. I drink diet soda all the time, but it just didn't taste right in coffee.

I just had to ween myself down, started with less and less sugar until it was out. I still prefer my coffee with about a third of a cup of 2% milk, and I can live with that 40 cals.

You could also try sugar-free coffee syrups that you can find on Amazon, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, or flavored coffee beans.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    I just add 1/2 & 1/2. It’s 40 cals for 2 tbsps!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    good beans and drink it black
    or if you need to
    skinny syrups are a thing too. add a splash of milk.
  • banditinker
    banditinker Posts: 6 Member
    I use a couple of Splenda packets and 2 TBSP. of Coffeemate sugar free hazelnut creamer in a large mug of coffee. It's worth the 40 calories to me!
  • RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    Have you tried date syrup? It's supposed to have more nutritional benefit than honey or molasses. Then add a splash of dairy or non dairy milk to lighten it up if you wish. I like coconut milk in mine.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    I put what I like in it and log the calories. Lately it's 40 calories of half and half and a sprinkle of cinnamon. The 40 calories are worth it to me!
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but a friend of mine uses caramel premier protein shakes as her creamer to make iced coffee.
  • jesseme
    jesseme Posts: 51 Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions!
    For me, it’s less about calories and more about sugar and saturated fats.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great ideas!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2019
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Step nine - drink you coffee and enjoy and zero calorie heavenly tasting and smelling black liquid

^^Just saying, coffee has 3 to 5 calories.

I usually drink mine black, but for a treat, I add a teaspoon of Hills Brothers White Chocolate Caramel Cappuccino. It’s 120 calories per serving (3 tablespoons), but I only use 1 tsp so it’s less than 20 calories and plenty sweet for me.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    one cup of coffee for me is like 40 calories. I just use regular milk and tsp or so of sugar.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Good coffee starts with good beans and freshly grinding them. For the most part I drink my coffee black because I want to taste that delicious bean. I prefer a medium roast...occasionally my wife will pick up a dark roast which is a bit bitter for my taste and in those situations I just add a little 1/2 and 1/2 to cut it.
  • callmecarina
    callmecarina Posts: 145 Member
    Cashew milk! If you like creamy, sweet coffee then a few oz. of cashew milk and add sweetener as needed.

I usually use almond milk because it's easier and cheaper to buy shelf stable than cashew milk is. But if I have a choice I use creamier cashew milk. Less calories, it's an interesting (in a GREAT way) flavor and can be a lot more creamy than almond milk. Plus you get to control the amount of sugar! I use turbinado sugar for the richer flavor, and this makes me feel like I need less.

Also, I have found almond milk chai to be an amazing coffee substitute when I'm at a coffee shop. That, or a cafe au lait. It's less milk than a normal latte because it's about half coffee half milk, so there's a calorie reduction there.

Since switching dairy milk with nut-alternatives, I've found the beverage side of things to be so much more weight-loss friendly. And I feel a smidge better about being environmentally conscious, but take that with a grain of salt. :P
  • sandy061988
    sandy061988 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2019
    Monkfruit was a life saver for me when I was totally off of real sugar. It is literally the only artificial sweetener that I can tolerate. I want to enjoy coffee without sugar but I just have to have it sweetened.
  • ci_svufan223
    ci_svufan223 Posts: 5 Member
    I just use International Delight Sweet Cream in mine. I measure out one tablespoon and just drink it that way. I don’t need sugar cause the creamer is sweet enough on its own. It’s the only way I can drink it.
  • MsBuggity
    MsBuggity Posts: 1 Member
    Try different types of stevia. Some taste better than others. If you have a Trader Joe's by you, theirs is good. You can also look for one called Sweet Drops by SweetLeaf.

Lastly, I've not tried it, but heard a bit of protein powder can make it better, too.
  • bhaney10
    bhaney10 Posts: 12 Member
    I am an avid coffee lover too. I drink my first, GUILT FREE cup with cream and sugar, and the rest of my coffee through out the day, I drink black. It took me awhile to get used to the taste, but sometimes I prefer it black:)