Less Alcohol - January 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    @Lilylady3k I really like how you are planning your stratigy to either drink or be AF for the month. Impressive.

THank you for all your supportive comments @MissMay ! And sorry to hear of your rum struggle, although I had to giggle a little because it sounds just like something my hubby would do for me, thinking he was being helpful. :)

And @BuffMom84 I feel your pain! I have been having the worst mood swings over the past couple of weeks. :( I also deleted my Dry Jan app because for some reason it logged me out and when I went to log back in, I couldn't remember my password. I was already in a grumpy mood (and having to search down passwords is one of my pet peeves) so I just deleted it. It was the British one anyway, so everything was in pounds so whatever. Maybe I'll try the one @Fitness327wk recommended!
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Happy Dry January! I have saved over 10,000 calories of not drinking wine! I am going to do dry January besides for a few days! What are your plans in Feb?

I have saved so many calories and so much money over the past few weeks!

I plan to continue AF in February, minus my birthday dinner at a local German restaurant/brewery. My over all plan is to stay (minus two days) AF till I hit my goal weight, which may take up to three months (hopefully not that long but however long it takes, I'll do it!).

I have my girls beach weekend in May I'm working towards. I initially wanted to lose 20 lbs by then, but at this rate, I'll be happy with 10. My goal weight is a lonnnng way away (-60 lbs). Not even thinking about that now.

@MonkeyMel21 how much have you lost so far?

Well, on January 1st I weighed 147 (after a lot of alcohol and fried foods the night before) and now I weigh 141. But I got to 141 like two weeks ago so it’s blah. I’m only trying to get to 135 but with .5 lb loss a week calorie goal it’s still likely to be another 2-3 months. Which is really hard for me to grasp, but it’s the only way I’ll be able to stick with it because when I’m “starving” each day I end up making bad choices. I’m not eating back my work out calories but so far it hasn’t helped much. I’m definitely noticing more changes in the mirror than on the scale at this point.

FYI: I haven’t been able to get back down to 135 in over three years, after no less than two failed attempts per year.

Just to make you feel a little better, 135 is my ultimate goal weight as well. I haven't been there since probably high school when I played soccer. I've got a lot further to go than you, so everytime you get frustrated, just think to yourself, "at least I'm not that woman from the internet!" LOL ;)
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited January 2019
    @Fitness327wk
    Thanks for the encouragement. We are not alone in this journey.
    I've been drinking hot tea in the evening after dinner as well :)
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Happy Dry January! I have saved over 10,000 calories of not drinking wine! I am going to do dry January besides for a few days! What are your plans in Feb?

I have saved so many calories and so much money over the past few weeks!

I plan to continue AF in February, minus my birthday dinner at a local German restaurant/brewery. My over all plan is to stay (minus two days) AF till I hit my goal weight, which may take up to three months (hopefully not that long but however long it takes, I'll do it!).

I have my girls beach weekend in May I'm working towards. I initially wanted to lose 20 lbs by then, but at this rate, I'll be happy with 10. My goal weight is a lonnnng way away (-60 lbs). Not even thinking about that now.

@MonkeyMel21 how much have you lost so far?

Well, on January 1st I weighed 147 (after a lot of alcohol and fried foods the night before) and now I weigh 141. But I got to 141 like two weeks ago so it’s blah. I’m only trying to get to 135 but with .5 lb loss a week calorie goal it’s still likely to be another 2-3 months. Which is really hard for me to grasp, but it’s the only way I’ll be able to stick with it because when I’m “starving” each day I end up making bad choices. I’m not eating back my work out calories but so far it hasn’t helped much. I’m definitely noticing more changes in the mirror than on the scale at this point.

FYI: I haven’t been able to get back down to 135 in over three years, after no less than two failed attempts per year.

Just to make you feel a little better, 135 is my ultimate goal weight as well. I haven't been there since probably high school when I played soccer. I've got a lot further to go than you, so everytime you get frustrated, just think to yourself, "at least I'm not that woman from the internet!" LOL ;)

Hahaha. Well at least I'm helping someone!! I am not good at all at restraint (alcohol being a BIG factor), in anything really. But after the last few years, that mindset is what got me to where I'm at now and I'd rather deal with 10 lbs now, then more in the future! Being AF this month has been a very positive thing for me, so even though the scale isn't necessarily doing what I'd like, I do have this great feeling of control that alcohol has taken from me over the past few years. I hope when this weight loss is all said and done, that I can keep some of that control, with regards to alcohol, and just be an occasional drinker instead of a "pretty much every day" drinker.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Yes, definitely second the Dry January app. You have to translate pounds to $ but no big deal.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,515 Member
    edited January 2019
    My goal is 4-5 AF days per week.

January 1st - AF
    January 2nd - AF
    January 3rd - AF
    January 4th - 3 drinks Friday night. I actually had 4, but then threw up lol. This is the reason that I never have more than 3 if I choose to have drinks. Good reminder. Yes, I can never be "drunk" because I can't have more than 3.
    January 5th - AF So curious that each and every day that I have drinks I am down 2 pounds the following day. I think that I read somewhere on this post that it dehydrates you. It comes back the next day of course : - )
    I don't log my AF or not AF until the following morning for the night before.
    January 6th - AF - 5 days out of 6. Very busy week, so more AF days to come.
    January 7th - AF - 6 days out of 7 for the month
    January 8th - AF - 7 days our of 8 for the month so far
    January 9th - AF - 8 days out of 9
    January 10th - 1 champagne, later on 3 drinks
    January 11th - 2 drinks - 8 out of 11 AF. I am pleased with that.
    January 12th - 3 drinks - 8 out of 12 AF. Going to rack up some more AF days.
    January 13th - AF - 9 days out of 13
    January 14th - AF - 10 days out of 14. Began logging at night before bed instead of waiting until the next morning. No danger of sleep drinking I don't think : - )
    January 15th - AF - 11 days out of 15.
    January 16th - AF - 12 days out of 16
    January 17th - AF - 13 days out of 17 - I took December 31st out of the count.
    January 18th - 3 drinks - 13 AF days out of 18, definitely ahead of where I was in December.
    January 19th - 2 drinks
    January 20th - AF - 14 AF days out of 20
    January 21st - AF - 15 out of 21
    January 22nd - AF - 16 out of 22 - I believe that I had 16 AF days total in December
    January 23rd - AF - 17 out of 23.
    I am going away for 5 days, birthday parties, concerts, get togethers with friends, lavish dinners. We will see how I do. I have had dismal weight loss this month even though my calories have been less, worked out more, drank way less alcohol. I don't want to blow the slight progress that I have made. Having said that, I definitely don't want to annoy my friends with calorie counting and trying to squeeze in workouts. I think being moderate with the booze won't be a problem, they are not heavy drinkers. I do usually imbibe when I am there. Maybe time to change that habit.
    January 24th -
    January 25th -
    January 26th -
    January 27th -
    January 28th -
    January 29th -
    January 30th -
    January 31st
  • Lilylady3k
    January accountability ~23 days so far
    Me (no alcohol): 14 days
    Alcohol: 9 days (18 drinks)
    Goal: AF days 4 per week / 16 per month
    To view the weekly count toward 4 ... AF Mon Dec 31!
    Jan 1 - AF
    Jan 2 - Dinner out with hubby after challenging day at work transitioning my role. Looks like it will take weeks to ramp them up. Didn't leave chair for 9 hrs. (excuses) - limited myself to 1 glass of wine
    Jan 3 - Bunco - limit 1 glass wine. Slipped up and had 2-3 (I call it 12 oz 3 if light pour / 2 if heavy pour) What happen to my resolve to drink water after 1 glass?
    Jan 4 - Traveling with my mom & sister 7 hrs today for a funeral Saturday. Plans to limit to 1 glass of wine was blown. I lacked the willpower which I need to work on. 1 margarita at mexican restaurant, 1 glass of wine in hotel suite everyone gathered at after dinner.
    Jan 5 - AF Driving 7 hours return trip
    Jan 6 - AF
    *This past week Monday thru Sunday I hit my 4 days of AF by reigning it in Sat and Sun! No social challenges next week. It will be just me and my own willpower to bank AF days for the month to offset challenging weeks ahead.

Jan 7 - AF
    Jan 8 - AF
    Jan 9 - AF
    Jan 10 - AF - Driving 6 hours this evening
    *Last 3 nights I skipped the beer and bourbon & did not join DH in drinking. Patting myself on the back for the resolve to stick to 4 nights AF this week M-Th. Planning for wine with dinner Fri & Sat but I'm feeling so much more in control these days with this resolve.
    Jan 11 - 4 glasses (2 red, 2 white) Opened 2 bottles of wine with DH should have limited myself to 1 glass from each; almost doubled my number of drinks for the month in one night sitting outside with neighbors looking out over the water and grilling steaks.
    Jan 12 - Used 3/4 cup of the 1 bottle of white for cooking the Risotto. 2 smaller glasses. Success in that everyone else had 1 drink before I started pouring wine for myself and DH with dinner.
    Jan 13 - AF - proud that I did not just join the crowd this evening
    *5 AF days this week!

Jan 14 - AF - ding ding ding DH & I had steak without red wine!
    Jan 15 - AF
    Jan 16 - Bookclub - intention was to limit 1 glass wine but after rough day at work had 2; splitting a bottle with my daughter
    Jan 17 - AF
    Jan 18 - 2 glasses of wine with dinner
    Jan 19 - AF - Party, friend’s fully stocked tiki bar, drank 2 bottles of water instead of everything offered. Designated driver 50+ miles from home though DH did not drink but 1.
    Jan 20 - AF, company w/ steak & roasted veggies dinner for all, Saints game … no alcohol for 6 of us … my sister brought orange cosmos but she was the only one that drank it.
    Beat my goal ... 5 AF days this week!

This week I have three scheduled challenges with a plan to limit my consumption. The other 4 days I need to stick to my AF plan.
    Jan 21 - Bookclub - limit 1 glass wine; finally lived up to my plan to not have a second glass in a social situation!
    Jan 22 - AF
    Jan 23 - Frustrating day brother/sister inlaws ended with DH & I out for Italian & wine. 2 glasses
    Jan 24 -
    Jan 25 - Planned dinner out to begin celebrating my early retirement next week. Plan: Limit 2 gasses of wine
    Jan 26 - Hiking with my son & his Fiancée then they want to go to a brewery. Plan: Limit 1 beer
    Jan 27 -

Jan 28 -
    Jan 29 -
    Jan 30 -
    Jan 31 - Retiring from company after 30 years - plan to celebrate but limit 2 glasses
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    ~Your Daily Summary 365 DAY STREAK~
    This is what was on MFP home page this morning,
    It's all about accountability.

Congrats @MissMay! :smiley:
    I'm coming in at 40 days behind you, my page said yesterday that I have logged in for 325 days in a row.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member

Congrats @MissMay! :smiley:
    I'm coming in at 40 days behind you, my page said yesterday that I have logged in for 325 days in a row.

Oh......thank you so much. And also congrats back at you for your 325. Heck I was excited when it was at 90 days. NOW look at us! YAY.
  • cupotea
    cupotea Posts: 89 Member
    Hello all, hope you’re all getting there - nearly the end of the month woo! Happy to report I’m still going strong after last Fridays slip up but glad I popped in today as have been very busy this week and even texted my husband saying I would love to have a drink tomorrow night but coming on here has helped strengthen my resolve to have an AF weekend!

k1bdu8e5265y.png
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    24 days AF and counting. The second longest (after 40 days) since 2016. If I get past 40, it'll be the longest dry stretch since I started drinking.
    @Will_Run_4_Food I see that as as little personal challenge? If you want a buddy to go to that 41 day dry mark, let me know. I would be up to doing that with you.
  • RubyDarling
    RubyDarling Posts: 171 Member
    That app looks awesome, @cupotea !

I had my first glass of wine on Wednesday for the year - I had lunch with a girlfriend to celebrate her birthday. Even after one drink, I could feel that voice in my head saying "you want more" but I ignored it. Hopefully I can last another 20+ days before my next tipple.
  • cupotea
    cupotea Posts: 89 Member
    That app looks awesome, @cupotea !

I had my first glass of wine on Wednesday for the year - I had lunch with a girlfriend to celebrate her birthday. Even after one drink, I could feel that voice in my head saying "you want more" but I ignored it. Hopefully I can last another 20+ days before my next tipple.

it's just called Drink Less on the app store :)
  • Lilylady3k
    edited January 2019
    January accountability ~24 days so far
    Me (no alcohol): 15 days
    Alcohol: 9 days (18 drinks)
    Goal: AF days 4 per week / 16 per month
    To view the weekly count toward 4 ... AF Mon Dec 31!
    Jan 1 - AF
    Jan 2 - Dinner out with hubby after challenging day at work transitioning my role. Looks like it will take weeks to ramp them up. Didn't leave chair for 9 hrs. (excuses) - limited myself to 1 glass of wine
    Jan 3 - Bunco - limit 1 glass wine. Slipped up and had 2-3 (I call it 12 oz 3 if light pour / 2 if heavy pour) What happen to my resolve to drink water after 1 glass?
    Jan 4 - Traveling with my mom & sister 7 hrs today for a funeral Saturday. Plans to limit to 1 glass of wine was blown. I lacked the willpower which I need to work on. 1 margarita at mexican restaurant, 1 glass of wine in hotel suite everyone gathered at after dinner.
    Jan 5 - AF Driving 7 hours return trip
    Jan 6 - AF
    *This past week Monday thru Sunday I hit my 4 days of AF by reigning it in Sat and Sun! No social challenges next week. It will be just me and my own willpower to bank AF days for the month to offset challenging weeks ahead.

Jan 7 - AF
    Jan 8 - AF
    Jan 9 - AF
    Jan 10 - AF - Driving 6 hours this evening
    *Last 3 nights I skipped the beer and bourbon & did not join DH in drinking. Patting myself on the back for the resolve to stick to 4 nights AF this week M-Th. Planning for wine with dinner Fri & Sat but I'm feeling so much more in control these days with this resolve.
    Jan 11 - 4 glasses (2 red, 2 white) Opened 2 bottles of wine with DH should have limited myself to 1 glass from each; almost doubled my number of drinks for the month in one night sitting outside with neighbors looking out over the water and grilling steaks.
    Jan 12 - Used 3/4 cup of the 1 bottle of white for cooking the Risotto. 2 smaller glasses. Success in that everyone else had 1 drink before I started pouring wine for myself and DH with dinner.
    Jan 13 - AF - proud that I did not just join the crowd this evening
    *5 AF days this week!

Jan 14 - AF - ding ding ding DH & I had steak without red wine!
    Jan 15 - AF
    Jan 16 - Bookclub - intention was to limit 1 glass wine but after rough day at work had 2; splitting a bottle with my daughter
    Jan 17 - AF
    Jan 18 - 2 glasses of wine with dinner
    Jan 19 - AF - Party, friend’s fully stocked tiki bar, drank 2 bottles of water instead of everything offered. Designated driver 50+ miles from home though DH did not drink but 1.
    Jan 20 - AF, company w/ steak & roasted veggies dinner for all, Saints game … no alcohol for 6 of us … my sister brought orange cosmos but she was the only one that drank it.
    Beat my goal ... 5 AF days this week!

This week I have three scheduled challenges with a plan to limit my consumption. The other 4 days I need to stick to my AF plan. Slipped 1 day this week. Goal is to hold to the rest of the plan! I just need one more day to meet my 16 AF goal for the month! I can do this!
    Jan 21 - Bookclub - limit 1 glass wine; finally lived up to my plan to not have a second glass in a social situation!
    Jan 22 - AF
    Jan 23 - Unplanned. Frustrating day brother/sister inlaws ended with DH & I out for Italian & wine. 2 glasses
    Jan 24 - AF
    Jan 25 - Planned dinner out to begin celebrating my early retirement next week. Plan: Limit 2 gasses of wine
    Jan 26 - Hiking with my son & his Fiancée then they want to go to a brewery. Plan: Limit 1 beer
    Jan 27 -