Clean Eating High Iron B12 Recipes

Hello, New here! I was just informed I'm severely anemic and I would prefer to avoid supplements. Does anyone have any high Iron & B12 clean recipes they could share? Thank you in advance! :)

Replies

• Laurahenson29
    Laurahenson29 Posts: 54 Member
    I don't know of any. I take supplements daily for fat loss not anemia. Good luck.
  • rlaur2000
    rlaur2000 Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2018
    Hi Laura,
    Try having a green smoothie every day. Whatever liquid you use add to the blender spinach or kale.If you have a juicer green juices will help you with the anemia. When juicing (celery, cukes) add a few dandelion leaves to juice. So either drink a green juice or make a smoothie.
    You need to find out why your iron is not being absorbed. Its important to find the culprit. Same thing with B12. I know certain medications will interfere with absorption (example: Metformin interferes with the B12). A doctor who is trained in Functional Medicine can usually trace the culprit. I would also google this to find further reasons. If you are not a meat eater (B12) you can take sublingual B12 tabs from a health food store. You may need to do this for the B12.
    Hope this helps.
  • cynhkr1300
    cynhkr1300 Posts: 14 Member
    If you are vegan, that may be the problem. B12, especially, is found in animal foods. But if you're a mostly plant-eater, I recommend the World's Healthiest Foods website. According to them, the top 5 for iron are soybeans, lentils, spinach, sesame seeds, and garbanzo beans. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=70 And for B12 they list sardines, salmon, tuna, cod and lamb as the top 5, and yogurt and milk are the top foods that don't involve consuming an animal - though still not vegan. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=107

Don't know how vegans get their B12, especially in middle age and later, when the body can't absorb the vitamin as well from foods. There are probably websites devoted to this issue for vegans, though. I take a daily B12 sublingual supplement, myself.
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Do you eat soup? You can buy wakame and other types of seaweeds from a Co-Op or Health Food store, such as Trader Joes, Wegmans, etc. Just put one in your soup to simmer for 20 minutes or so. Only vegan source I know of, from whole foods. I have some cheescake recipes made with the red moss one, i'll see if I can find them......... :)
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Hello, New here! I was just informed I'm severely anemic and I would prefer to avoid supplements. Does anyone have any high Iron & B12 clean recipes they could share? Thank you in advance! :)

Blackstrap molasses is what I use. Everyday I have a tablespoon
  • luvmoreau
    luvmoreau Posts: 1 Member
    I think I read somewhere once that if you cook in a cast-iron skillet you will improve your iron intake. Also maybe eat more raisins....
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    I cook exclusively in cast iron. Unless you are a Vegan, getting B-12 through diet should be doable - meat, eggs, dairy, etc.

Supplements aren't the devil though. Sometimes they are needed to replenish a depleted vitamin/mineral and there is nothing wrong with that. They also should not be taken long term, ideally, you are getting what you need through a whole foods diet, and once your stores are replenished, you should be able to discontinue the supplement.
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    I eat clams everyday for iron
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Check out cricket protein!
  • Aloha, Cook quinoa, top with marinated artichoke hearts and alfalfa sprouts on top; which are all full of iron.
  • supposedtobeapril
    supposedtobeapril Posts: 12 Member
    so, just quinoa then dump on some artichoke hearts and alfalfa sprouts and eat? do you add anything else for flavor? (like like even salads with no dressing, but making sure not missing part of your "recipe")
  • cobalt108
    cobalt108 Posts: 60 Member
    Hello! I have a similar issue and did not react well to pill supplements. Increasing iron rich foods did not get the iron levels up high enough and I do have to take a liquid supplement now. I take an imported liquid iron called Floradix from the health food market that’s also has B vitamins it and have not experienced the negative side effects. It has really helped.
    I do continue to eat iron rich foods as well, specifically lentils and kale/spinach have been easy to incorporate into almost every meal and are pretty cheap.
    Good luck and hope you feel better soon:)