@MadisonMolly2017 We are so much alike! :heart:

@Orphia
    Yes, we are! ♥️ back atcha!
  • tab03mh
    tab03mh Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks @Orphia!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    I just got caught up on this thread, seems like people have lots of great things they want to work on. I personally am focusing on a few things this year, all of which are about making ME the priority.
    I'm doing a dry January with hopes that I'll keep going. I gained weight and I know alcohol is a contributor.
    I am starting a new business venture. It's overwhelming and scary but I'm so ready for this step in my career.
    I am taking the final step to wrap up all things left over from my divorce a few years ago.
    I'm reading books that are both in a genre I love (fantasy and sci-fi) and self help. I just downloaded The Naked Mind to see if I can modify my thinking about drinking. I don't want to abstain forever-I love the occasional mixed drink at a restaurant and LOVE cider, which has really become a big thing in my region.

Positive juju to all of you.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Great goals @htimpaired Let us know how youre getting on with them.

• Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    edited January 2019
    I like the sound of this challenge.

1, Alcohol a maximum of two days a week except Christmas week
    2, Run half marathon distance for the first time since my surgery
    3, Log every day not just when I can be bothered
    4. Finish off all the DIY jobs around the house
    5. Keep in touch with family at least once a month

I've been alcohol free since new year but might have a couple tonight as I got my dream job today :)

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    @Runaroundafieldx2 _ Congrats on the job!!

Feeling pretty positive this week. Eating better to help shed those couple of holiday pounds. Back on track with the exercise and feeling good about doing a more well-rounded routine instead of devoting all of my time and energy to running. I took a plyometrics class on Monday and really enjoyed it. Keeping my alcohol consumption to a planned minimal amount. I also had my review with my boss this week and he was so complimentary it almost made me feel guilty because I have been feeling unfocused and unproductive for the past 2 or 3 months. It gave me a little inspiration to try and do my job as well as I can because I know he relies on me a lot. I also did a lot of cleaning around my house last weekend and worked on some de-cluttering (I am an anti-pack rat, so clutter just sucks the life out of me). I know we are only 10 days into the new year, but so far it's off to a pretty good start.

Biggest thing I still need to work on: I waste a lot of time in the morning and before bed playing math games like Sudoku and Ken-ken on my phone, probably to the point that it is unhealthy. Need to work on trading that time for something more productive.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,960 Member
    Jan 10 Update:

Relaxation - need to work on this...I resist it - I think because I’ve worked so hard to become more active throughout my day & to exercise daily...
    ✅Did this today!!🎉

Exercise - Great. Daily. Can feel the increased strength.
    ✅Daily, some very fast walks, HIIT, definitely feeling more muscles!

Creativity - making progress, but want to do this daily...hard to find the time - I may have to do it first thing each day or make it my top priority...
    ✅Did this today & 2 days ago. Improving :)🎨

Home - Really becoming quite organized, beautiful, spacious after much decluttering! I’ve never lived it so much before!
    ✅Home is going really well. In fact, now doing some lite decorating.

Work - a new daily habit to create a to do list each morning is helping me to get much more done!
    ✅I do get a lot more done, but I also feel the to do items hanging over me. Thinking about how to manage this.

Eating in moderation - Going well, but must get back to not eating out!
    ✅Didn’t eat out yesterday & today FINALLY!!! 🎉White-knuckling it, but I know it will get easier & is Definitely healthier for me.

Learning - Signed up for a mixed media class - now to find/make the time to do it!!
    ✅Making more time for this. In-process

Life! Is Lovely! I’m very grateful to be healthy & alive!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Weekly check-in

Relaxation - Got a bit more sleep than usual this week, and aim to stick to that bedtime again.
    Exercise - Back to maintaining running distance after two lighter rest weeks.
    Alcohol usage - none, and very happy.
    Creativity - a few minutes drawing daily, so maintaining.
    Home - looking perfect and nice for my other half to come home to after a trip away.
    Work - been asked to do an extra half an hour a day, and happy about that.
    Eating in moderation - just under the middle of my goal range; in the sweet spot.
    Learning - 112 days ongoing doing 5 minutes Greek on Duolingo.
    Life! - Great!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    Sometimes I get a sense in the challenge threads that people are struggling to get by by only managing one aspect of progress in their lives.

Other times, I see familiar faces in multiple threads, and feel there are a lot of us trying to thrive overall.

It’s good to work on making small changes one day at a time.

I’ve found that small changes in one area can lead to changes in many things over time.

Let’s discuss how we’re working on:

Relaxation
    Exercise
    Alcohol usage
    Creativity
    Home
    Work
    Eating in moderation
    Learning
    Life!

REACHWELL!

Hmm ... well ...

Let’s discuss how we’re working on:

Relaxation: haven't done much of that in the past year
    Exercise: building up again
    Alcohol usage: haven't touched it since about April 2018 ... rarely drank before that
    Creativity: been playing with photography in the past week ... not much of that over the past year
    Home:
    Work: doing more and more
    Eating in moderation: not bad, could be better and will be
    Learning: I did 4 Master's level uni courses this past year
    Life!

Home and life ... yes, well ... of course most of my focus has been on my husband.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited January 2019
    January Progress so far:

Relaxation: Doing OK on this one.
    Exercise: Winter is my slug season. I struggle, but I'm trying to at least get my minimums done while I wait for Spring to emerge. Not breaking any records this time of year, for sure.
    Alcohol usage: Not an issue for me. I had a glass of sparkling wine and some of those chocolate candies filled with booze on New Year's eve. I probably have maybe 3-4 drinks in a whole year...
    Creativity: I have really let myself down in this area. Something to think about for future improvement...
    Home: Continuing on with my de-cluttering project. Just finished painting my office a lovely, serene, warm, pale blue color.
    Work: I work seasonally, and this is my off-season. B)
    Eating in moderation: Sticking within calories, working on keeping within my sugar goals.
    Learning: I just got back from a trip to Sacramento where I visited many historical sites and learned lots of fascinating things about it's past.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Over my life I've collected a bunch of exercise equipment.
    It's mostly cardio equipment, with a small variety of bars, plates, and kettlebells for lifting.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,960 Member
    Jan 17 Update:

Relaxation - improving

Exercise - Great. Daily. Heavy rains began today- will need to figure out some other exercise options

Creativity - huge improvement this week. Most days (30 min to 2-3 hours)

Home - shifting focus to Art, but maintaining clean spaces. Doing some decluttering but not if it’s an avoidance of art making

Work - a new daily habit to create a to do list each morning is helping me to get much more done! Shifted this to a few days per week — helped with art & relaxatuion

Eating in moderation - Much improves!!

Learning - Signed up for a mixed media class - and it is fueling art making & insights!!

Life! Is Lovely! I’m very grateful to be healthy & alive
  • Orphia
    I'd been very busy for a while with volunteer activities and personal improvement daily activities, and also increased my daily work hours by half an hour, so this week I made a point of getting more sleep. I let my participation in my favourite FB running groups and MFP threads lapse a bit instead, and it wasn't the end of the world! :smile: Feeling a lot less worried about burning out.

Relaxation - Better, yay!
    Exercise - Did a comfortable half marathon this morning, so feeling great.
    Alcohol usage - None.
    Creativity - Happy with my drawing.
    Home - Maintaining.
    Work - All going very well.
    Eating in moderation - Great.
    Learning - Did a Level 1 Run Leader course last week. Major step! :smile: Maintaining Greek lessons.
    Life! - Great!

Next Saturday I will be Run Director at parkrun, which means extra duties, and often a bit of anxiety, but that's improved a lot since I started 20 times ago.

This week I will need to keep a very low participation on FB/MFP again to keep up with parkrun duties and sleep.
  • Orphia
    Relaxation - Want more!
    Exercise - Very good.
    Alcohol usage - None.
    Creativity - Good.
    Home - Good.
    Work - Very good.
    Eating in moderation - Very good.
    Learning - Good, but have a high study load that I might not get done as soon as I'd like.
    Life! - Nice.

Have a few things I need to work on this long weekend, and I'm starting to think I'm procrastinating, but I need some downtime after being in charge of parkrun and a running club committee meeting on Saturday.

Eating and sleeping are good.

Dead in the middle of my goal range overall this week.

Ran 30 km this morning, which was my January running goal.
  • jenilla1
    I'm recovering from surgery right now, and I hate it. It's actually becoming depressing. It's supposed to be a long, gradual recovery. And that's exactly the way it's been going so far. Not sure I can handle weeks and weeks more of this being trapped on the couch, doing next to nothing. Ugh. I just need to suck it up and be patient. And grateful that I'm doing as well as I am. :s
  • Orphia
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I'm recovering from surgery right now, and I hate it. It's actually becoming depressing. It's supposed to be a long, gradual recovery. And that's exactly the way it's been going so far. Not sure I can handle weeks and weeks more of this being trapped on the couch, doing next to nothing. Ugh. I just need to suck it up and be patient. And grateful that I'm doing as well as I am. :s

@jenilla1

Hugs!

I follow the monthly Self-Care challenge threads, and it occurs to me that they might help.

Here's a list of self-care tips for the times we are struggling:

1. Get out of bed.
    2. Brush your teeth.
    3. Wash your face.
    4. Shower, even if you just get in and rinse off! The water might feel amazing for you.
    5. Eat something. Even if it’s just a cracker or some bread. Just get something in your belly!
    6. Walk out onto your back porch. Stand there for 10 seconds and then if you want, go back inside. Great job, you made it outside! If you feel like it, take a short walk. Get some sunshine!
    7. Put on your favorite TV show or movie.
    8. Check your email and clear your inbox. Respond to anything that is important.
    9. Change your sheets.
    10. Check your actual mail.
    11. Stay hydrated. Fill up a water bottle and keep it close by.
    12. Take your medication.
    13. Stretch. This can be a small quick stretch on the couch or some yoga.
    14. Check your text messages and answer those from people who are important or worried about you.
    15. Pay any bills you might have to avoid late fees.
    16. Change your clothes if you didn’t when you first got out of bed.
    17. If you have a pet, make sure they are good on their food and water. Nothing feels worse than your pet having an empty water or food bowl and you not being aware of it!
    18. Do a creative hobby that you like.
    19. Open up the blinds to let the light come into your house.
    20. Watch a funny video. Laugh.

https://themighty.com/2018/08/realistic-self-care-ideas/

February's self-care challenge thread is here if you're interested:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10724376/february-2019-self-care-challenge
  • jenilla1
    Two weeks since my surgery! I'm allowed to drive again and will start walking daily. So sick of laying around on the couch. Longest 2 weeks of my life is over! Still have to wait several weeks to start running, strength training and mountain biking again. That's depressing. But at least I can move more now...the struggle will be trying not to overdo it! :D

u7l1t1jaofda.jpg

• jenilla1
    This looks like my kind of challenge! I have lots of things I want to do and achieve and this challenge just may be what it takes to help me out.

...Work } work has been good, no issues at work currently. My moto at work is to stay positive, stay out of gossip, don't get involved in issues that don't effect me, don't take things personally and just do my best. And this seems to be working...

Boom! The secret to success! B)
  • jenilla1
    Just prior to my surgery, I had proudly achieved my fastest ever running pace (8:44 minute mile) which is pretty freaking amazing for me (even though I've been running for decades, I have struggled with asthma, which has slowed me down).

Almost 3 weeks after surgery, I'm not so proud of the 32 minute mile I just completed on the treadmill at the gym. I was literally the slowest person there, and I was exhausted going turtle pace at 2 mph. But I'm not ashamed, either. I'm recovering and it's a step forward. I'll get back to greatness...and I won't ever take my fitness for granted again! o:)
  • Orphia
    edited February 2019
    Love your book, @FeelinFooFoo ! Lots of good plans and insights, and you're already making progress!

Perhaps with exercise, just be creative and rack your brain for something you really want to do. It could be dancing, skating, try a HIIT class, or even just go for a walk somewhere you've always wanted to explore.

Yay, @jenilla1, starting walking again is awesome.