Veggie/vegan meal prep for work lunches?

Meginkg
Meginkg Posts: 23 Member
I cook dinners and meal prep and have done for a long while. However, for this new year I've decided to go veggie for breakfast, lunch and two dinners a week. I'm enjoying it so far but getting sick of taking soup into work! Any good alternatives that last four days and are satisfying?

Replies

• snugglesworthjr
    snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
    Does veggie include dairy and/or eggs to you? There's a breakfast that I really love that's super easy and scalable to whatever amount desired. Refrigerator oatmeal! In individual jars or tupperware, add the following:
    -1/4 cup rolled oats
    -1/4 cup greek yogurt
    -1/4 cup milk
    -1 tbsp chia seeds
    -1-2 tbsp dried fruit

Mix together, put in the fridge at night, enjoy tasty breakfast! You can play with the ratio of each to add, it doesn't have to be precise. You can also sub non-animal milk and yogurt, and it still tastes great. This is something that'll last all week in the fridge.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Chillis, curries and couscous dishes all keep well and work nicely for lunch. And are very forgiving if you mess around with the recipe :)

Black bean chilli (3 portions, probably something like 350 kcal each I can't be bothered to check):
    Black beans (about 120g dried, or whatever the equivalent is tinned) (can substitute pretty much any other kind of beans, if you go to the cupboard and discover you misremembered what you had)
    A tin of chopped tomatoes (or passata)
    An onion
    A red pepper
    Some fresh tomatoes
    1 tbsp honey or sugar
    1 tbsp vinegar (probably not malt)
    2 tsp cumin
    Chilli to taste (powdered, fresh, dried, whatever)
    Salt, pepper, and any other condiments that seem good to you, to taste

Do whatever you have to with the beans to render them safely edible.
    Fry the onion until soft.
    Put everything except the fresh tomatoes and pepper in a saucepan and simmer for ten minutes or so.
    Add the fresh tomatoes and pepper and simmer for another ten minutes or so.
    Optionally serve with a spoonful of yoghurt, fresh baby corn, etc.

Similarly, I make couscous by roasting a ton of veg (especially butternut squash and onions) and combining them with some cooked couscous, raisins, dried apricots, fresh mint and coriander, and powdered cumin. In whatever proportions currently work with my macros and my fridge contents.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I've found that chilis and curries keep very well for several days. I will make big batches of these and eat them all week for lunch (they also often freeze very well if you want to make even bigger batches). I like pasta salads with vegetables too.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    edited January 2019
    Meginkg wrote: »
    I cook dinners and meal prep and have done for a long while. However, for this new year I've decided to go veggie for breakfast, lunch and two dinners a week. I'm enjoying it so far but getting sick of taking soup into work! Any good alternatives that last four days and are satisfying?

Some Ideas off the top of my head:

Grilled Veggie Panini/Sandwich. Cook the veggies in advance and portion.
    Mushroom Risotto
    eggplant parm (there are good grilled/roasted versions)
    Hummus and/or Babaganouj Wraps
    Greek salad wrap
    Butternut Squash Cous-Cous/risotto
    Vegetable Fried rice
    Vegitarian Chili (ok - still soup-like)
    Mapo Tofu (some versions don't use meat - or use TVP to replace meat)

Message me if you want any of the recipes - except the greek salad. I don't have a recipe for that. Or the fried rice. That is "toss in a pan and cook whatever I have" type of deal. A little soy, some 5 spice, sesame, rice and veggies.

or the grilled veggie one - just grill veggies
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    I've been obsessed with this work lunch lately. It's so easy to make. It's so fresh and delicious, and I look forward to lunch every day.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/greek-chickpea-salad/
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    Don't bother deep frying the onions. Pan fry half the quantity to cook with the dish and use ready made fried onions for the garnish.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/oct/09/mejadra-recipe-yotam-ottolenghi
  • nikkibrianne64
    nikkibrianne64 Posts: 89 Member
    sx3v0t1eoixw.jpg

Onions, kidney beans, celery, broccoli, sweet peppers, veggie broth, pinch of black pepper,
  • hgallee731
    hgallee731 Posts: 4 Member
    Pasta is a go to for me. Usually penne with a bunch of veggies and marinara sauce, olive oil, or pesto (I love the Trader Joes vegan pesto). Rice dishes are also something that will last a while. I make rice bowls with roasted veggies, beans or tofu, sometimes roasted potato or sweet potato, and a sauce. My favorite sauce is goddess dressing on top.
  • callmecarina
    callmecarina Posts: 145 Member
    Black bean tacos with corn tortillas are a staple for my lunches! So easy, low-calorie, filling, and delicious if you dress it properly. Add cotija cheese for more flavor and added protein and some pineapple salsa and you can’t go wrong! Slice up some cucumbers for a side of veggies and some crunch and you’re set. It takes me less than 10 mins to prepare in the lunchroom at work, or 2 minutes if I make ahead and just heat it up I. The lunch room.
  • LCASU96
    LCASU96 Posts: 7 Member
    I like to make roasted veggies with brown rice or quinoa and a side of black beans. It’s filling and tastes great reheated!
  • allieeveryday
    allieeveryday Posts: 85 Member
    I do this "recipe" at least a couple times a month: get three kinds of veggies. Stir fry in EVOO with whatever seasonings you like (I like garlic powder/paprika/chili powder). When the veggies are soft (or to your preferred level of crunch), pour in a can of coconut milk, and a tablespoon or two or chili paste. When that's warmed up, throw in some pineapple chunks. Serve over rice (cilantro on top is optional, sriracha is not) :wink: This keeps beautifully for several days in the fridge and makes a great lunch. You can also throw in chickpeas for more protein.