Less Alcohol - January 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,547 Member
    @Lilylady3k that is a super quote. Your retirement is coming up...party time!

@Ed_Zilla yup gotta admit that is way creepy.

@dawnbgethealthy hope your having a nice time away.

28th day of my DRY JANUARY in the books.

• dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,546 Member
    Aim: 4-5 AF per week - so 20 AF minimum in 31 days

January 1st - AF
    January 2nd - AF
    January 3rd - AF
    January 4th - 3 drinks Friday night. I actually had 4, but then threw up lol. This is the reason that I never have more than 3 if I choose to have drinks. Good reminder. Yes, I can never be "drunk" because I can't have more than 3.
    January 5th - AF So curious that each and every day that I have drinks I am down 2 pounds the following day. I think that I read somewhere on this post that it dehydrates you. It comes back the next day of course : - )
    I don't log my AF or not AF until the following morning for the night before.
    January 6th - AF - 5 days out of 6. Very busy week, so more AF days to come.
    January 7th - AF - 6 days out of 7 for the month
    January 8th - AF - 7 days our of 8 for the month so far
    January 9th - AF - 8 days out of 9
    January 10th - 1 champagne, later on 3 drinks
    January 11th - 2 drinks - 8 out of 11 AF. I am pleased with that.
    January 12th - 3 drinks - 8 out of 12 AF. Going to rack up some more AF days.
    January 13th - AF - 9 days out of 13
    January 14th - AF - 10 days out of 14. Began logging at night before bed instead of waiting until the next morning. No danger of sleep drinking I don't think : - )
    January 15th - AF - 11 days out of 15.
    January 16th - AF - 12 days out of 16
    January 17th - AF - 13 days out of 17 - I took December 31st out of the count.
    January 18th - 3 drinks - 13 AF days out of 18, definitely ahead of where I was in December.
    January 19th - 2 drinks
    January 20th - AF - 14 AF days out of 20
    January 21st - AF - 15 out of 21
    January 22nd - AF - 16 out of 22 - I believe that I had 16 AF days total in December
    January 23rd - AF - 17 out of 23.
    I am going away for 5 days, birthday parties, concerts, get togethers with friends, lavish dinners. We will see how I do. I have had dismal weight loss this month even though my calories have been less, worked out more, drank way less alcohol. I don't want to blow the slight progress that I have made. Having said that, I definitely don't want to annoy my friends with calorie counting and trying to squeeze in workouts. I think being moderate with the booze won't be a problem, they are not heavy drinkers. I do usually imbibe when I am there. Maybe time to change that habit.
    January 24th - AF 18 out of 24 - 1st day away, not tempted
    January 25th - AF 19 out of 25 - offered drinks but stuck to water.
    January 26th - 1/2 bloody Mary at a birthday celebration, glass cab out at a show, Cointreau night-cap
    January 27th - 750ml bottle of wine over the course of dinner and a night
    January 28th - 3 drinks
    January 29th - AF - Back home. 20 AF days out of 29.
    January 30th -
    January 31st
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited January 2019
    MissMay wrote: »
    @Lilylady3k that is a super quote. Your retirement is coming up...party time!

Thank you @MissMay ! I agree I do like the quote "You’ll never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine. - John C. Maxwell"

My 2019 motto is Changing my Life ... achieving some of my personal goals after reducing the stress by retiring :) It is time to celebrate! Though it has been interesting ... everyone wants to go out to eat! Dining out with 20 friends tonight and I stayed away from the wine. Tomorrow a luncheon in my honor but the plan is to stay away from the margaritas.

January accountability ~29 days so far
    Me (no alcohol): 18 days
    Alcohol: 11 days (26 drinks)
    Goal: AF days 4 per week / 16 per month
    To view the weekly count toward 4 ... AF Mon Dec 31!
    Jan 1 - AF
    Jan 2 - Dinner out with hubby after challenging day at work transitioning my role. Looks like it will take weeks to ramp them up. Didn't leave chair for 9 hrs. (excuses) - limited myself to 1 glass of wine
    Jan 3 - Bunco - limit 1 glass wine. Slipped up and had 2-3 (I call it 12 oz 3 if light pour / 2 if heavy pour) What happen to my resolve to drink water after 1 glass?
    Jan 4 - Traveling with my mom & sister 7 hrs today for a funeral Saturday. Plans to limit to 1 glass of wine was blown. I lacked the willpower which I need to work on. 1 margarita at mexican restaurant, 1 glass of wine in hotel suite everyone gathered at after dinner.
    Jan 5 - AF Driving 7 hours return trip
    Jan 6 - AF
    *This past week Monday thru Sunday I hit my 4 days of AF by reigning it in Sat and Sun! No social challenges next week. It will be just me and my own willpower to bank AF days for the month to offset challenging weeks ahead.

Jan 7 - AF
    Jan 8 - AF
    Jan 9 - AF
    Jan 10 - AF - Driving 6 hours this evening
    *Last 3 nights I skipped the beer and bourbon & did not join DH in drinking. Patting myself on the back for the resolve to stick to 4 nights AF this week M-Th. Planning for wine with dinner Fri & Sat but I'm feeling so much more in control these days with this resolve.
    Jan 11 - 4 glasses (2 red, 2 white) Opened 2 bottles of wine with DH should have limited myself to 1 glass from each; almost doubled my number of drinks for the month in one night sitting outside with neighbors looking out over the water and grilling steaks.
    Jan 12 - Used 3/4 cup of the 1 bottle of white for cooking the Risotto. 2 smaller glasses. Success in that everyone else had 1 drink before I started pouring wine for myself and DH with dinner.
    Jan 13 - AF - proud that I did not just join the crowd this evening
    *5 AF days this week!

Jan 14 - AF - ding ding ding DH & I had steak without red wine!
    Jan 15 - AF
    Jan 16 - Bookclub - intention was to limit 1 glass wine but after rough day at work had 2; splitting a bottle with my daughter
    Jan 17 - AF
    Jan 18 - 2 glasses of wine with dinner
    Jan 19 - AF - Party, friend’s fully stocked tiki bar, drank 2 bottles of water instead of everything offered. Designated driver 50+ miles from home though DH did not drink but 1.
    Jan 20 - AF, company w/ steak & roasted veggies dinner for all, Saints game … no alcohol for 6 of us … my sister brought orange cosmos but she was the only one that drank it.
    Beat my goal ... 5 AF days this week!

This week I have three scheduled challenges with a plan to limit my consumption. The other 4 days I need to stick to my AF plan. Slipped 1 day this week. Goal is to hold to the rest of the plan! I just need one more day to meet my 16 AF goal for the month! I can do this!
    Jan 21 - Bookclub - limit 1 glass wine; finally lived up to my plan to not have a second glass in a social situation!
    Jan 22 - AF
    Jan 23 - Unplanned. Frustrating day brother/sister inlaws ended with DH & I out for Italian & wine. 2 glasses
    Jan 24 - AF
    Jan 25 - Planned dinner out to begin celebrating my early retirement next week. Didn’t stick to the plan to limit 2. gasses of wine. 1 drink before and after dinner @ bars + 3 glasses of wine with dinner. Total 5.
    Jan 26 - Hiking with my son & his Fiancée then they want to go to a brewery. Plan: Limit 1 beer Well limited myself to 1 beer in the afternoon at the brewery. But then 2 margaritas in the evening.
    Jan 27 - AF (while everyone else drank wine I had water).

Achieved my monthly goal!!! Now to stretch my weekly goal of 4 AF days per week into February.
    Jan 28 - AF
    Jan 29 - AF! Yeah me! Dining Out group.
    Jan 30 -
    Jan 31 - Retiring from company after 30 years - plan to celebrate but limit 2 glasses
    Feb 1 -
    Feb 2 -
    Feb 3 -
  • BuffMom84
    BuffMom84 Posts: 180 Member
    I caved last night and had three beers. I said to myself that I've been doing so well this month, school was already cancelled for today and we can't go anywhere because it's so cold (-45 degrees cold!). I know none of those are really excuses to drink but at least I cut myself off after three. And this morning I still woke up with a headache! Seems like when I do drink now, the hangovers are worse.

But I'm still proud of myself. I drank 8 days last year January and this January I drank 5 so I'm making progress. I hope to continue this into February. I won't be mad at myself if I have a slip up here and there but I don't want to go back to drinking 2 or 3 days a week every single week.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    @MonkeyMel21 - wow, fantastic weight loss! Congrats!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    kittybenn wrote: »

Thank you! I'm just so pleased with myself for sticking to it this time. But I am starting to worry about February. There's a lot more events and my brain is picking at my willpower, lol.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    kittybenn wrote: »

Thank you! I'm just so pleased with myself for sticking to it this time. But I am starting to worry about February. There's a lot more events and my brain is picking at my willpower, lol.

I am worried about February as well, reason being I also have events, dinners in Feb that I know I will want to drink. I am setting myself up for success as Super Bowl Sunday will be my first drink. I will only have two glasses of wine. I am not getting back into my daily habit! I want to also hit my weight target. After Sunday I will not drink for 7-10 days just to continue to create good habits.
  • Sub4_2018
    Sub4_2018 Posts: 52 Member
    Glad to hear everyone is doing well as we near the end of the month! I'm on day 30 AF over here and feeling great. I finished This Naked Mind last night and it really re-shaped how I view my relationship with alcohol. I don't know how I want to proceed in February, but trying to moderate seems exhausting. To constantly be in my head about how much to have and how to resist that next glass, and how much is too much, etc.

Like I said, I don't know how I'm going to proceed in February, but I'm giving it a lot of thought which is much better than I can say for previous years.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,546 Member
    Aim: 4-5 AF per week - so 20 AF minimum in 31 days

January 1st - AF
    January 2nd - AF
    January 3rd - AF
    January 4th - 3 drinks Friday night. I actually had 4, but then threw up lol. This is the reason that I never have more than 3 if I choose to have drinks. Good reminder. Yes, I can never be "drunk" because I can't have more than 3.
    January 5th - AF So curious that each and every day that I have drinks I am down 2 pounds the following day. I think that I read somewhere on this post that it dehydrates you. It comes back the next day of course : - )
    I don't log my AF or not AF until the following morning for the night before.
    January 6th - AF - 5 days out of 6. Very busy week, so more AF days to come.
    January 7th - AF - 6 days out of 7 for the month
    January 8th - AF - 7 days our of 8 for the month so far
    January 9th - AF - 8 days out of 9
    January 10th - 1 champagne, later on 3 drinks
    January 11th - 2 drinks - 8 out of 11 AF. I am pleased with that.
    January 12th - 3 drinks - 8 out of 12 AF. Going to rack up some more AF days.
    January 13th - AF - 9 days out of 13
    January 14th - AF - 10 days out of 14. Began logging at night before bed instead of waiting until the next morning. No danger of sleep drinking I don't think : - )
    January 15th - AF - 11 days out of 15.
    January 16th - AF - 12 days out of 16
    January 17th - AF - 13 days out of 17 - I took December 31st out of the count.
    January 18th - 3 drinks - 13 AF days out of 18, definitely ahead of where I was in December.
    January 19th - 2 drinks
    January 20th - AF - 14 AF days out of 20
    January 21st - AF - 15 out of 21
    January 22nd - AF - 16 out of 22 - I believe that I had 16 AF days total in December
    January 23rd - AF - 17 out of 23.
    I am going away for 5 days, birthday parties, concerts, get togethers with friends, lavish dinners. We will see how I do. I have had dismal weight loss this month even though my calories have been less, worked out more, drank way less alcohol. I don't want to blow the slight progress that I have made. Having said that, I definitely don't want to annoy my friends with calorie counting and trying to squeeze in workouts. I think being moderate with the booze won't be a problem, they are not heavy drinkers. I do usually imbibe when I am there. Maybe time to change that habit.
    January 24th - AF 18 out of 24 - 1st day away, not tempted
    January 25th - AF 19 out of 25 - offered drinks but stuck to water.
    January 26th - 1/2 bloody Mary at a birthday celebration, glass cab out at a show, Cointreau night-cap
    January 27th - 750ml bottle of wine over the course of dinner and a night
    January 28th - 3 drinks
    January 29th - AF - Back home. 20 AF days out of 29.
    January 30th - AF - 21 AF out of 30
    January 31st
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    You’ll never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine. - John C. Maxwell

January accountability ~30 days so far
    No Alcohol: 19 days
    Alcohol: 11 days (26 drinks)
    Goal: AF days 4 per week / 16 per month
    To view the weekly count toward 4 ... AF Mon Dec 31!
    Jan 1 - AF
    Jan 2 - Dinner out with hubby after challenging day at work transitioning my role. Looks like it will take weeks to ramp them up. Didn't leave chair for 9 hrs. (excuses) - limited myself to 1 glass of wine
    Jan 3 - Bunco - limit 1 glass wine. Slipped up and had 2-3 (I call it 12 oz 3 if light pour / 2 if heavy pour) What happen to my resolve to drink water after 1 glass?
    Jan 4 - Traveling with my mom & sister 7 hrs today for a funeral Saturday. Plans to limit to 1 glass of wine was blown. I lacked the willpower which I need to work on. 1 margarita at mexican restaurant, 1 glass of wine in hotel suite everyone gathered at after dinner.
    Jan 5 - AF Driving 7 hours return trip
    Jan 6 - AF
    *This past week Monday thru Sunday I hit my 4 days of AF by reigning it in Sat and Sun! No social challenges next week. It will be just me and my own willpower to bank AF days for the month to offset challenging weeks ahead.

Jan 7 - AF
    Jan 8 - AF
    Jan 9 - AF
    Jan 10 - AF - Driving 6 hours this evening
    *Last 3 nights I skipped the beer and bourbon & did not join DH in drinking. Patting myself on the back for the resolve to stick to 4 nights AF this week M-Th. Planning for wine with dinner Fri & Sat but I'm feeling so much more in control these days with this resolve.
    Jan 11 - 4 glasses (2 red, 2 white) Opened 2 bottles of wine with DH should have limited myself to 1 glass from each; almost doubled my number of drinks for the month in one night sitting outside with neighbors looking out over the water and grilling steaks.
    Jan 12 - Used 3/4 cup of the 1 bottle of white for cooking the Risotto. 2 smaller glasses. Success in that everyone else had 1 drink before I started pouring wine for myself and DH with dinner.
    Jan 13 - AF - proud that I did not just join the crowd this evening
    *5 AF days this week!

Jan 14 - AF - ding ding ding DH & I had steak without red wine!
    Jan 15 - AF
    Jan 16 - Bookclub - intention was to limit 1 glass wine but after rough day at work had 2; splitting a bottle with my daughter
    Jan 17 - AF
    Jan 18 - 2 glasses of wine with dinner
    Jan 19 - AF - Party, friend’s fully stocked tiki bar, drank 2 bottles of water instead of everything offered. Designated driver 50+ miles from home though DH did not drink but 1.
    Jan 20 - AF, company w/ steak & roasted veggies dinner for all, Saints game … no alcohol for 6 of us … my sister brought orange cosmos but she was the only one that drank it.
    Beat my goal ... 5 AF days this week!

This week I have three scheduled challenges with a plan to limit my consumption. The other 4 days I need to stick to my AF plan. Slipped 1 day this week. Goal is to hold to the rest of the plan! I just need one more day to meet my 16 AF goal for the month! I can do this!
    Jan 21 - Bookclub - limit 1 glass wine; finally lived up to my plan to not have a second glass in a social situation!
    Jan 22 - AF
    Jan 23 - Unplanned. Frustrating day brother/sister inlaws ended with DH & I out for Italian & wine. 2 glasses
    Jan 24 - AF
    Jan 25 - Planned dinner out to begin celebrating my early retirement next week. Didn’t stick to the plan to limit 2. gasses of wine. 1 drink before and after dinner @ bars + 3 glasses of wine with dinner. Total 5.
    Jan 26 - Hiking with my son & his Fiancée then they want to go to a brewery. Plan: Limit 1 beer Well limited myself to 1 beer in the afternoon at the brewery. But then 2 margaritas in the evening.
    Jan 27 - AF (while everyone else drank wine I had water).

Achieved my monthly goal!!! Now to stretch my weekly goal of 4 AF days per week into February.
    Jan 28 - AF
    Jan 29 - AF ! Yeah me! Dining Out group.
    Jan 30 - AF
    Jan 31 - Retiring from company after 30 years - plan to celebrate but limit 2 glasses
    Feb 1 -
    Feb 2 -
    Feb 3 -
  • gymbunny09
    gymbunny09 Posts: 69 Member
    Delighted to report only had planned drinks for celebration so had 29/31 alcohol days free. Planning the same for February. So pleased evening cravings for a glass of wine or G&T have diminished. Which has helped me lose 8lbs and more importantly feeling a lot happier & healthy which is my main goal.
  • MissMay
    @dawnbgethealthy that is a beautiful picture of you and your St. Bernard friend. ( big dog fan here).

• MissMay
    Guess I am hosting a Super Bowl gathering Sunday night.

We have tons of parking at our place, most places up here right now are limited on parking because of the snow being in heaps. So we said people could come to our home to cheer on our team. Made it clear everyone has to BYOB and TYBH (take your booze home). I do not want a variety of alcohol left over to stare me down.

Going to be a long day Sunday because there is a pre-Super Bowl party in town from 12:00-4:00, then back here to get ready for the game that will last until about 10:30pm.

My plan~~~ is a dry Super Bowl Day. I did it dry last year too and still had fun (even though we lost last year).

Happy last day of January to each and everyone of you. Just being here (lurking or not) makes you all winners.

My accountability: 31 days dry in January 2019