An update 3.5yrs later to my original “success story”

I posted this success story in June 2015.

Most of you know about my journey through weight loss and plastic surgery. You have heard the things I struggle with, and now I would like to share the last chapter. My success story.

I have lost 102lbs through calorie counting and portion control. To give you a little insight to how I got to that place, I would like to share a post my 21year old brother posted In December of 2014.

"Yesterday was filled with overwhelming sadness and grief. It seem like there was nothing to look forward to, no silver-lining at all. But after lots of tears something amazing happened. To put this into perspective I will have to do a little more explaining. six years ago, my brother Stephen was killed in a car accident. It happened on Halloween, which in itself was tough, but on the following day, November 1 my sister Jennifer was scheduled to be married. Because of the accident, Of course the ceremony was canceled. Jennifer had the wedding of her dreams taken from her. The party, the dancing, the dress, and most importantly the memories never happened. Fast forward to yesterday, we just buried our third brother. We were sad, angry, and confused with nothing positive to look forward to and we sat seating food provided by the church, telling stories of a lost brother, and finding comfort in each other, Jennifer got up and left the room. After about 10 minutes the door reopen to a Jaw-dropping site. We were awestruck as my sister(who, I should add, has lost over 70lbs to be able to do this) stood in her wedding dress. She didn't have the hair, the make up, or even the shoes she would have, But there she stood, in her everyday wear make up, hair in a mess, looking more beautiful than I have ever seen her. This is proof in that even in the hardest of times, there is always something to look forward to. Thank you for not only being my sister, but my best friend also." Below is the picture the picture he posted.

I battled my first weight problem at 18years old. My brother Matthew, was killed in a car accident October of 2003, I was 17, he was 21. Through my teens I always stayed around 110-120, but battling the grief of loosing Matthew took a toll on my body. My weight reached 180lbs. However I didn't stay at that weight long. I was able to get my weight under control just before I met the love of my life in 2007. Weighing 150lbs and finally being able to enjoy happiness, we planned a wedding for 11/1/2008. Many in my family(a blended family that started with 10children), believed this wedding was like a statement for us, a statement of coming out of grieving. This was not going to be a normal ordinary wedding. It was very much a "dream" wedding. we had planned a Cinderella wedding. Complete with a carriage, horses, a dance floor over my moms pool, lights, cabana, cigar bar, a sit down formal dinner...The works.
The night before the wedding, On 10/31/2008, my brother Stephen, his girlfriend, Caroline, and friend Will left the wedding rehearsal dinner. As it was close to our parent's house, and we all began to leave also, we drove up on a wreck. Stephen at 20years old was pronounced dead at the scene, along with Caroline. Will was transported to hospital and survived. It's one thing to receive a call a family member has been in a wreck and it's another to drive up only a few minutes following the accident. Not only did we lose Stephen and Caroline, but something else died in our family that night. It's hard to explain, but those who have experienced a great loss know what I'm talking about. A part of your spirit dies with each person you love dies.
Following that and the birth of my two boys, my weight reached an all time high in 2013. I weighed 240lbs. I was beginning to see what toll my weight was taking on not only my health but my marriage. Something had to change! I made the commitment I would lose my weight, and after I did, I would get back in my wedding dress, and we would renew our vows and have a ceremony that I have always dreamed of.
Starting February of 2014, I began my weight loss journey. Although I had hoped this time would be "the time", I never imagined I would have the self-control to actually reach my goal weight of 150. I downloaded MyFitnessPal and started tracking. Little by little, week by week, I started to see the pounds drop. I stayed at a consistent 2lbs per week for the majority of the time. Come December, I was at 155, just a few pounds within my goal.
Then tragedy struck again. We lost our 3rd brother on 12/12/2014. Our once family of 10 children now a family of 7 kids. After the funeral, I sat there in my mother's house, and wondered if my family would make it through this death. When a glass breaks, you can glue the pieces back together, but it won't be as strong as it was before. If it breaks a second time, you might get lucky and be able to glue the pieces back together but chances are there will be some pretty big chips in the structure though, and it may not be able to hold liquid, the very thing glass was created for. A third break would surely render the glass unfixable, leaving the chips too small to put back together. Never again will the glass be strong enough to support liquid. How will we be able to put the pieces back together in our family?
I decided I needed motivation to stay on track, and my family needed something to smile about.
I didn't know if my wedding dress would fit, but I knew it still hung up, in its bag, in the guest bedroom of my mothers house. Other than pictures of my bridal portraits, most had not seen the dress in person.

IT FIT!!

I went downstairs to where everybody was, and quietly walked in wearing my dress. Which lead to the story I started with. The post by our youngest brother, Christopher.
Loosing 100lbs+ was hard. Talking about successful weight loss, somebody once said to me "it just has to click one day, when will it click for you". It finally had clicked for me. I would love to say I eat all vegetables and never have the craving or eat bad foods, but that just isn't true. For me it's about portion control. If I want something higher in calorie, for example chicken fettuccine Alfredo, I eat it. But I plan for it. Through out the day I will eat fruits and vegetables so I can enjoy the pasta for dinner, and I serve myself 1/2 the serving I normally would. I give in to all my cravings, but now I just make them a part of a plan for the day/week. With children, it is hard to eat healthy. I didn't want to make two meals for dinner, so I came up with just little adjustments for meal time. Instead of frying chicken, I baked it. When we had hamburger night instead of me having beef, like them, I enjoyed venison or turkey burger on thin wheat bun. If they were eating subs, I had a wrap. Every meal has a vegetable and typically a "kid friendly carb". I would double my portion of vegetables, and give myself only a sampling taste of the other. If at night for some reason I go over my allowed calories, I do more exercises to burn those calories. I have been seen doing arm circles at 9pm while my husband and I watch tv, because I wanted to enjoy a glass of wine.

I am proud to say on today, 6/18/2015 I weigh 138lbs. I am a strong woman, sister, wife, daughter and mother that set my mind to a goal and didn't let anything get in my way. After my weight loss, I had extra skin and really struggled with my self image. I decided to have a mommy make over done. In which I had a tummy tuck, breast lift and implant. I am now 15days after my surgery, and I can honestly say for the first time, I am happy with the results and my body.

I cannot describe how happy it makes me to say Jamie and I have plans to renew our wedding vows on Septemever 5th, 2015! My husband and I will finally get the chance celebrate our love with family and friends.

Thank you for listening to my story and I hope it can inspire others.

1/30/2019
Here I am almost 4 years later.

My weight dropped as low as 128 but that felt impossible to maintain. So I 130-138 seemed to be a good range for me. I had set a couple safety rules in place to help keep myself in check. 1. I set 145 as my a caution weight. The first two times I reached 145 I immediately went back into full calories counting mode and was able to drop it fairly quick. 2. My “red zone” weight was 155. This was reached twice since 2015. The first scared the crap outta me and like the two other attempts I was able to drop the weight fairly quick with calorie counting and working out. The 2nd time, being currently. I not only hit my “red zone” I also had promised myself I would never buy up a size in jeans. This helping me keep my self in check. Well, I reached 155+(I didn’t weigh myself until after a week of dieting) and was down to only wearing jeans that had stretch fabric.
I knew this was coming. I’ve hovered in the area for the past 2 months but for whatever reason I couldn’t just get it “to click”. I couldn’t bring myself to making the commitment.
In the last 4years ive noticed a habit.. I start avoiding the scale. Because if I ignore it, I can plead ignorance, right?!? Wrong! I start reaching for the yoga pants, legging/dresses vs my jeans. So I knew it was coming. I knew it needed to be done. So seeing 155 show up on scale last week after a week of dieting was enough for me! I just finished two weeks of calorie counting and 1 week of work out videos everyday, and I’m already seeing progress! This week I’m down 5lbs. still have ab 15 more lbs to go but I’m determined. A few random things I’ve learned to help stay in shape but obviously I have not perfected.

-dont ignore the scale. It’s not that you have to “live” by the number but you need to be aware of it as it’s a great guideline
-once at goal weight.. working out is a great way to stay in shape w/o having to restrict diet as much. *this is perhaps where I fail the most. I have to say I’m just not somebody who naturally enjoys working out. I work out bc I love food. So finding unique fun ways to get a work out in is key for me.
-moderation is key. To everything.
-Sharing my plan with somebody or even better- starting with a friend makes me more likely to achieve my goals(and faster too). something about the accountability.

****If I mess up with a meal that doesn’t cancel the entire day. If I have an unplanned cheat day the rest of the week is not a “lost cause”. If I make bad choices for a week, that doesn’t give me the excuse to just give up on the month. Life happens. Life and food is meant to be enjoyed. So enjoy it! If u fall behind then pick yourself up and start again. Don’t make excuses. Don’t allow food to control you. But MOST importantly- DO NOT allow the scale nor the size you wear control your self worth. You are special, unique, and your body is an amazing thing- LOVE YOURSELF AT ALL TIMES!!

You have got this!
-jenn.

I’ve included the two pics originally posted with this post. 1. The pic my little brother took of me the day of funeral. 2. The before and after.
jhv53fhzdofy.png
z7pladqjdbbh.png

I am also including a few updated photos.
3. The college of bathing suit photos was 230lbs, 200lbs, and then 130, then was taken about 3weeks after tummy tuck.
4. Then since I mentioned how we would get to renew our vows, I found it only fitting to include a photo of our vow renewal in 2015.
5. bathing recent full body photo is me with monkey 12/2018 4uta22ncjm7s.jpeg
lt2oobluu3fi.jpeg
vyoulx907w4t.png
8qwqj2bmy8xd.png

Replies

• pkweier
    pkweier Posts: 349 Member
    So inspiring
  • FarmerCarla
    FarmerCarla Posts: 470 Member
    You've been knocked down a lot, but I commend you for not staying down. You look great!
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Thank you for sharing your story. I can relate closely to your story with the recent deaths of many family members in accidents, to cancer and suicide. Proud of you for hanging in there.
  • Jenepher1202
    Jenepher1202 Posts: 27 Member
    pkweier wrote: »
    So inspiring

Thank you
  • Jenepher1202
    You've been knocked down a lot, but I commend you for not staying down. You look great!

Thanks, it hasn’t been easy and I fail a lot but as long as we keep trying, right?
  • Jenepher1202
    Fivepts wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing your story. I can relate closely to your story with the recent deaths of many family members in accidents, to cancer and suicide. Proud of you for hanging in there.

It a good and bad feeling when somebody can relate to my story. It lets me know I’m not alone but my heart goes out to those who have experienced extreme lost. Life is hard and a death in the family can send everything into a downward spiral. Thank you for the encouragement.
  • Jenepher1202
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Stories like this should be pinned for all to read and see. Just another proof there is no magic pill, no magic diet. Its about hard work, determination and most of all calorie counting.

Thank you. I agree. It’s crazy how people react when they ask me how I lost the weight. Once they hear it was just good old fashion calorie counting, it’s like they immediately check out of the convo. Then they will ask aren’t you hungry... well heck yea but only on the days where I use up my calories on high cal/low nutrition foods. The days I make good choices I actually feel full and sometimes even have a few calories extra at the end of the day. But it’s all about balance. There are days where I’ll ask myself is this cheese dip/nachos really worth the calories and the answer is absolutely yes! Then there are times I’ll ask the same question, and I’m like “nah, not really.
  • 60doggydog
    60doggydog Posts: 2 Member
    Wow, what a story. You are doing so good. You are an inspiration.
  • Jenepher1202
    60doggydog wrote: »
    Wow, what a story. You are doing so good. You are an inspiration.
    Thank you!
  • lemonita12
    lemonita12 Posts: 52 Member
    Situations like these tend to drive people to self-destruction. You managed to turn them into something so positive. Lovely post, truly inspirational, for those of us who have the little obstacles in life but think they are enormous. Take care!
  • patbruns1
    patbruns1 Posts: 1 Member
    Great to hear your story. Keep your chin up girl. You’re amazing!!
  • Jenepher1202
    lemonita12 wrote: »
    Situations like these tend to drive people to self-destruction. You managed to turn them into something so positive. Lovely post, truly inspirational, for those of us who have the little obstacles in life but think they are enormous. Take care!

Thank you for the encouragement!
  • Jenepher1202
    patbruns1 wrote: »
    patbruns1 wrote: »
    Thank you so much
  • mbonacci12
    mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
    What an inspirational story! My weight and goals are similar to yours. Can I ask what your normal day looks like in calories when you want to lose or maintain?
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    <quote>My weight dropped as low as 128 but that felt impossible to maintain. So I 130-138 seemed to be a good range for me. I had set a couple safety rules in place to help keep myself in check. 1. I set 145 as my a caution weight. The first two times I reached 145 I immediately went back into full calories counting mode and was able to drop it fairly quick. 2. My “red zone” weight was 155. This was reached twice since 2015. The first scared the crap outta me and like the two other attempts I was able to drop the weight fairly quick with calorie counting and working out. The 2nd time, being currently. I not only hit my “red zone” I also had promised myself I would never buy up a size in jeans. This helping me keep my self in check. Well, I reached 155+(I didn’t weigh myself until after a week of dieting) and was down to only wearing jeans that had stretch fabric.
    I knew this was coming. I’ve hovered in the area for the past 2 months but for whatever reason I couldn’t just get it “to click”. I couldn’t bring myself to making the commitment.
    In the last 4years ive noticed a habit.. I start avoiding the scale. Because if I ignore it, I can plead ignorance, right?!? Wrong! I start reaching for the yoga pants, legging/dresses vs my jeans. So I knew it was coming. I knew it needed to be done. So seeing 155 show up on scale last week after a week of dieting was enough for me! I just finished two weeks of calorie counting and 1 week of work out videos everyday, and I’m already seeing progress! This week I’m down 5lbs. still have ab 15 more lbs to go but I’m determined. A few random things I’ve learned to help stay in shape but obviously I have not perfected.

-dont ignore the scale. It’s not that you have to “live” by the number but you need to be aware of it as it’s a great guideline
    -once at goal weight.. working out is a great way to stay in shape w/o having to restrict diet as much. *this is perhaps where I fail the most. I have to say I’m just not somebody who naturally enjoys working out. I work out bc I love food. So finding unique fun ways to get a work out in is key for me.
    -Sharing my plan with somebody or even better- starting with a friend makes me more likely to achieve my goals(and faster too). something about the accountability.

****If I mess up with a meal that doesn’t cancel the entire day. If I have an unplanned cheat day the rest of the week is not a “lost cause”. If I make bad choices for a week, that doesn’t give me the excuse to just give up on the month. Life happens. Life and food is meant to be enjoyed. So enjoy it! If u fall behind then pick yourself up and start again. Don’t make excuses. Don’t allow food to control you. But MOST importantly- DO NOT allow the scale nor the size you wear control your self worth. You are special, unique, and your body is an amazing thing- LOVE YOURSELF AT ALL TIMES!!</quote>

Us maintainers need to read this a few times. I could have written these same things over the years many times over and over again. Esp the knowing you were over but not being able to get it to CLICK or commit to in to a deficit again.

Congrats to you on hanging in there and turning things around through all the adversity. And thank you for posting!
  • Jenepher1202
    mbonacci12 wrote: »
    What an inspirational story! My weight and goals are similar to yours. Can I ask what your normal day looks like in calories when you want to lose or maintain?
    Thank you. When I’m full calorie counting/ trying to lose my goal should be 1200. However I LOVE food so I work out so I can get more calories. With working out, as long as I stay under 1500, normally I’m good. Some days those calories consists of high nutritional foods and im not hungry. Other days I’ll use calories on “junk”, but always staying under my limit. When I’m maintaining I don’t really count my calories and rely on working out to maintain. If I stick to a consistent work out routine, it hasn’t been a problem to keep my weight in check. It’s when I stop working out that my weight creeps back up.
  • Jenepher1202
    <quote>My weight dropped as low as 128 but that felt impossible to maintain. So I 130-138 seemed to be a good range for me. I had set a couple safety rules in place to help keep myself in check. 1. I set 145 as my a caution weight. The first two times I reached 145 I immediately went back into full calories counting mode and was able to drop it fairly quick. 2. My “red zone” weight was 155. This was reached twice since 2015. The first scared the crap outta me and like the two other attempts I was able to drop the weight fairly quick with calorie counting and working out. The 2nd time, being currently. I not only hit my “red zone” I also had promised myself I would never buy up a size in jeans. This helping me keep my self in check. Well, I reached 155+(I didn’t weigh myself until after a week of dieting) and was down to only wearing jeans that had stretch fabric.

****If I mess up with a meal that doesn’t cancel the entire day. If I have an unplanned cheat day the rest of the week is not a “lost cause”. If I make bad choices for a week, that doesn’t give me the excuse to just give up on the month. Life happens. Life and food is meant to be enjoyed. So enjoy it! If u fall behind then pick yourself up and start again. Don’t make excuses. Don’t allow food to control you. But MOST importantly- DO NOT allow the scale nor the size you wear control your self worth. You are special, unique, and your body is an amazing thing- LOVE YOURSELF AT ALL TIMES!!</quote>

Us maintainers need to read this a few times. I could have written these same things over the years many times over and over again. Esp the knowing you were over but not being able to get it to CLICK or commit to in to a deficit again.

Congrats to you on hanging in there and turning things around through all the adversity. And thank you for posting!

Thank you so much! It’s a constant struggle. And to think I thought once I lost the weight I’d be good to go. Lol
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Thanks for the great story and post.... best of luck!
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 321 Member
    This is a great story. Thank you for sharing and esp. for the updates. You've done an amazing job!
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    What a remarkable and inspiring story. Thanks for sharing your journey!