Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    cory17 wrote: »
    cory17 wrote: »
    My mother is also a paper hoarder. Because she donates to charities, she's now on virtually every mission, charity, whatever mailing list out there. The solicitations come in bunches and she's so afraid of identity theft (nevermind that her info is ALREADY being sold and resold) that insists on cutting out name & address from every one of those solicitations and shredding it. So the amount of time involved to actually do what she wants is horrific and overwhelming and her desk has mounds of this trash piled and falling off. (She was hospitalized last year and I stole piles of this junk mail and disposed of it.)

Oh my god, this is my landlady (and friend)!! I had offered to help her organize and I went by her house twice to help. She hoards these charity mailers, but I did manage to convince her to throw most of them out the last time I was there. But she is insistent on shredding her address, even though her info is out there already...

I haven't helped her with that in a while. I should go over next week and do another round. Thanks for reminding me! :blush:

ANGEL WINGS!! <3o:)

ANGEL WINGS INDEED!
  • snoo61
    Cleaned out the expired meds today. They are soaking in a Ziploc bag of water, I will throw them out in the morning.
  • snoo61 wrote: »
    Cleaned out the expired meds today. They are soaking in a Ziploc bag of water, I will throw them out in the morning.

Great work!

I threw out a bottle of NoDoz this weekend that expired in 2009! Ugh! Obviously I rarely used them, but that’s still pretty bad. Going through all items is helpful, because it’s so easy not to “see” things we don’t use, even though they take up space.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 wrote: »

Great work!

I threw out a bottle of NoDoz this weekend that expired in 2009! Ugh! Obviously I rarely used them, but that’s still pretty bad. Going through all items is helpful, because it’s so easy not to “see” things we don’t use, even though they take up space.

Exactly! I am constantly amazed by things I'm finding, that I look at all the time.
  • lemonita12
    lemonita12 Posts: 52 Member
    Thank you for this lovely post!
    I have started with the toxic people. Ongoing project.
    I'd like to do stuff now. It sounds liberating!
  • snoo61
    lemonita12 wrote: »
    Thank you for this lovely post!
    I have started with the toxic people. Ongoing project.
    I'd like to do stuff now. It sounds liberating!

I've been so much happier every day. There's a peacefulness that comes from it. I have a long way to go, but even 15 minutes a day, makes a huge difference.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,341 Member
    edited February 2019
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    nooie19 wrote: »
    My coworker is now using Kondo as a verb. As in “I Kondoed my scarves last weeend.” She just Kondoed me into dumping the contents of two file cabinet drawers. They were filled with stuff from the last person who had my position eight years ago.
    Then my other coworker started pulling stuff out of our recycling bin! LOL!

We watched this on Weds. I was aiming to have my gf see it and want to clear her stuff - and she does!! woohoo! so we are doing step 1: clothes tomorrow. Excited!!
    We are both excited to Kondo the kitchen and make the drawers all neat and tidy

Great job - sounds like you are being motivating in a very positive, supportive manner. Any chance of before and after photos? sharing is caring ;)
  • I have been reading this thread for a while now, constantly thinking, "Yep, I must sort my house out." I rarely get time to deal with "stuff" as I like to get out and about a fair bit plus I have four children, two of whom are home educated full time, one who has just started college and needs support with the transition from HE to college and one who is very much a "needy" adult who is in her last year at college and preparing for university.

I was pretty much snowed in yesterday so decided to clear out the area under the stairs. It took all day, between dealing with life stuff (such as meals, playing with the children, etc) but I have managed to get rid of everything that wasn't needed. I mean, who needs VHS videos when you don't have a video player? Who needs an A4 sticker sheet with just one sticker on it? And old magazines? What on earth was I saving it for?

The only stuff I didn't throw out that I didn't really need was some artwork that my adult daughter did as a child. But I am going to photograph it and then offer it back to her. If she doesn't want it then it'll be recycled.

The area is much less cluttered now and so tidy (it was spilling out everywhere). Pretty much filled the recycling boxes. I have lots of stuff to go to the charity shop and about 100 items to put on Ebay, which will be done tonight. If it doesn't sell on the first listing period on Ebay then it too will join the stuff at the charity shop. Later on, I am going to walk through the snow and take the stuff to the charity shop. It WILL be gone today.

Then I am going to start on the bathroom as I know that there is stuff in there that hasn't been touched for about 7 years. Time for it to go.

Then after that, either my bedroom or the kitchen. Then, the big one, the lounge.

Looks like I'll be snowed in again today (apart from walking anywhere) so I will get started on the bathroom. I can't wait to get stuck into it!

Who knew de-cluttering was addictive?

A good addiction to have, sounds like you’re on a roll! Good luck with your de-cluttering mission. I love the idea of photographing the artwork. I’m drowning in papers from my kids, everything they do seems precious and it’s hard to know what to keep and what to throw out.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,689 Member
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    nooie19 wrote: »
    My coworker is now using Kondo as a verb. As in “I Kondoed my scarves last weeend.” She just Kondoed me into dumping the contents of two file cabinet drawers. They were filled with stuff from the last person who had my position eight years ago.
    Then my other coworker started pulling stuff out of our recycling bin! LOL!

We watched this on Weds. I was aiming to have my gf see it and want to clear her stuff - and she does!! woohoo! so we are doing step 1: clothes tomorrow. Excited!!
    We are both excited to Kondo the kitchen and make the drawers all neat and tidy

That’s good that you are both on board with it. My hubby likes holding onto things more than me so I’ve learned to adapt.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,689 Member
    I have been reading this thread for a while now, constantly thinking, "Yep, I must sort my house out." I rarely get time to deal with "stuff" as I like to get out and about a fair bit plus I have four children, two of whom are home educated full time, one who has just started college and needs support with the transition from HE to college and one who is very much a "needy" adult who is in her last year at college and preparing for university.

I was pretty much snowed in yesterday so decided to clear out the area under the stairs. It took all day, between dealing with life stuff (such as meals, playing with the children, etc) but I have managed to get rid of everything that wasn't needed. I mean, who needs VHS videos when you don't have a video player? Who needs an A4 sticker sheet with just one sticker on it? And old magazines? What on earth was I saving it for?

The only stuff I didn't throw out that I didn't really need was some artwork that my adult daughter did as a child. But I am going to photograph it and then offer it back to her. If she doesn't want it then it'll be recycled.

The area is much less cluttered now and so tidy (it was spilling out everywhere). Pretty much filled the recycling boxes. I have lots of stuff to go to the charity shop and about 100 items to put on Ebay, which will be done tonight. If it doesn't sell on the first listing period on Ebay then it too will join the stuff at the charity shop. Later on, I am going to walk through the snow and take the stuff to the charity shop. It WILL be gone today.

Then I am going to start on the bathroom as I know that there is stuff in there that hasn't been touched for about 7 years. Time for it to go.

Then after that, either my bedroom or the kitchen. Then, the big one, the lounge.

Looks like I'll be snowed in again today (apart from walking anywhere) so I will get started on the bathroom. I can't wait to get stuck into it!

A good addiction to have, sounds like you’re on a roll! Good luck with your de-cluttering mission. I love the idea of photographing the artwork. I’m drowning in papers from my kids, everything they do seems precious and it’s hard to know what to keep and what to throw out.

You are kicking it! My friend bought one of those portable hanging file folders for each child, all of their artwork for the year got put in and at the end of the year she sorted out her favourites and kept it. When the kids left home they were given their own box to take with them. I wish I had done that, but I do have a few items from my girls childhood, mostly though it was thrown out.
  • I have been reading this thread for a while now, constantly thinking, "Yep, I must sort my house out." I rarely get time to deal with "stuff" as I like to get out and about a fair bit plus I have four children, two of whom are home educated full time, one who has just started college and needs support with the transition from HE to college and one who is very much a "needy" adult who is in her last year at college and preparing for university.

You are kicking it! My friend bought one of those portable hanging file folders for each child, all of their artwork for the year got put in and at the end of the year she sorted out her favourites and kept it. When the kids left home they were given their own box to take with them. I wish I had done that, but I do have a few items from my girls childhood, mostly though it was thrown out.

That’s a great tip, thanks. :smile:
  • LeslieHuggins
    LeslieHuggins Posts: 41 Member
    I've done all my kitchen cupboards and bathroom closet. IT FEELS SO GOOD!! Asked hubby this morning if I could go thru his t-shirts and get rid of ones that are stained or have holes. He has 2 chest of drawers plus!! of t-shirts. He's a huge gear-head, so is always working on this car or that...alot of the shirts are in bad shape-. Can't believe he agreed to it!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!