Anyone actually losing weight on Keto?

Replies

• jemillen
    jemillen Posts: 8 Member
    I love Keto and it is working for me. I've been doing this diet for 30 days now and have lost 24 lbs. I eat clean and get my fat from olive oil, coconut oil, butter and some from nuts and meat. I eat more fish and chicken compared to red meat although I like to eat a piece of bacon with my eggs in the morning :) . My main veggies are spinach, cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli. I made my own keto bread with almond flour and eggs and threw a handful of shredded cheese and bacon bits for flavor. I stick to my macros and limit myself to 1600 calories per day. For me it's critical to log my food so I can gage my macros and calories throughout the day. My fitness pal makes it easy!

I did have a touch of the "Keto flu" shortly after I first started, but it went away after a couple of days. Sugar cravings also went away after 3-4 days. I'm expecting my weight loss to slow down as time goes on. I have about 200 lbs to lose, but so far I'm loving this and already feel much better. The only con for me is that I often have dry mouth and bad breath (I think), so I'm drinking more water and chew more sugarless gum to keep my breath fresher.
  • ketokiki11
    ketokiki11 Posts: 1 Member
    I have. I'm not strict keto and I still lost 7lbs in 1 week. My SW was 191 and CW is 184.
  • tifflong109
    tifflong109 Posts: 40 Member
    I just started today, do you have any tips? @ketokiki11
  • melalexdave
    melalexdave Posts: 4 Member
    plan/make meals ahead would be my tip :) always have Keto foods/snack available

• leiflung
    leiflung Posts: 83 Member
    8 lbs in a month and I am normal weight. These are vanity lbs. I'm 12ibs from my ideal BMI.
  • linochka1969
    linochka1969 Posts: 136 Member
    I am 49 and I have been on keto diet for 21 days, limiting my calories to staying under 1250 and my carbs ( under 20 net , couple times hitting 24) . I track everything I eat and weight myself every day. By Saturday I loose anywhere between 0.5 -1 lbs ( so total weight decrease is like 2.5 lbs) , Mondays my weigh jumps up and then fluctuates all week). I use Keto strips every day , and I stay between moderate and strong ketosis. I am so disappointed at how slow the process is What is the reason of being on keto diet if it is not happening little faster? Would just counting calories on its own is sufficient enough?
    Anybody has any experience of successfully overcoming a similar issue?
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    I am 49 and I have been on keto diet for 21 days, limiting my calories to staying under 1250 and my carbs ( under 20 net , couple times hitting 24) . I track everything I eat and weight myself every day. By Saturday I loose anywhere between 0.5 -1 lbs ( so total weight decrease is like 2.5 lbs) , Mondays my weigh jumps up and then fluctuates all week). I use Keto strips every day , and I stay between moderate and strong ketosis. I am so disappointed at how slow the process is What is the reason of being on keto diet if it is not happening little faster? Would just counting calories on its own is sufficient enough?
    Anybody has any experience of successfully overcoming a similar issue?

Yes, because calories are the only thing that matters for weight loss, not specific macros ratios.

eta: what are your stats (current weight/height)? Your calorie target seems a bit low.

Are you using a food scale to measure out portion sizes?

Also, are you tracking your weigh-ins with a trending app? That really helps to see where you're actually at, for weight loss.
  • linochka1969
    I try to keep the suggested Keto percentage and I eat very clean too
  • zeejane03
    edited January 2019
    I try to keep the suggested Keto percentage and I eat very clean too

"Clean" eating doesn't actually mean anything though, it's a completely subjective and arbitrary term. In terms of weight loss it doesn't matter what kinds of foods you're eating, only that you're at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. During my active weight loss phase I lost 50lbs and improved all my health markers while still eating fast food several times a week, all sorts of 'processed' diet foods (Lean Cuisines, 100 calorie snack packs etc).

Now I'm a few years into maintenance and eat 'healthier', but I still eat out once a week, still eat 'processed' foods and I also average over 200 carbs a day. I manage my BMI of 22.0 by how many calories I eat, literally that's it.
  • linochka1969
    I am 5,4 and as of this morning 157.5 ( last Saturday & Sunday I was 155). I have been using food scale for foods like cheese, keto butter, proteins, avocado, nuts) etc. No I have never used weight in trending app
  • linochka1969
    zeejane03, How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?
  • zeejane03
    edited January 2019
    I am 5,4 and as of this morning 157.5 ( last Saturday & Sunday I was 155). I have been using food scale for foods like cheese, keto butter, proteins, avocado, nuts) etc. No I have never used weight in trending app

Definitely look into a trending app, if you have an android phone it's Libra, or Happy Scale for iphone.

One thing to also keep in mind is that your weight is going to fluctuate daily, due to all sorts of things, not fat related. Things like sodium intake, digestion timing, bowel movements, hormones etc. That's why a trending app, or just looking at your first weigh-in of the month and then comparing it to your last weigh-in of the month, will give you a better idea of where you're actually at.

Good job on using a food scale-this is such a helpful tool for knowing what actual portion sizes are. I'm a few years into maintenance and mine is still on my counter and I spot check things throughout the week on it :)

eta: one more thing that could affect the scale short term-if you've started a new fitness routine or increased your current one, you could see an up-tick, due to water retention. It's temporary and will disappear over time.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03, How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm 40 :)
  • linochka1969
    Back 7 years ago I lost 33 lbs just keeping the calorie count and exercising without limiting carbs, I kept for a couple of years but then picked about 10 back. I know that with age it gets very challenging but I didn't realize it will be that changeling. I am questioning why can I not eat a piece of dark chocolate with my coffee if keto is not working for me? I am simply annoyed where I though I was going double force ( staying under 1250 and keeping carbs) but doesn't seem it is really doing anything I will download the app , thank you
  • zeejane03
    Back 7 years ago I lost 33 lbs just keeping the calorie count and exercising without limiting carbs, I kept for a couple of years but then picked about 10 back. I know that with age it gets very challenging but I didn't realize it will be that changeling. I am questioning why can I not eat a piece of dark chocolate with my coffee if keto is not working for me? I am simply annoyed where I though I was going double force ( staying under 1250 and keeping carbs) but doesn't seem it is really doing anything I will download the app , thank you

I know there's quite a few women on the forums who've lost the extra weight at an older age, hopefully some of them will chime in and give you some suggestion :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited January 2019
    Anybody? Sure. I'm one of them. 11 days in, 11 lb lost. Most of those are water, some are fat. I know because I'm excreting ketones, which are a derivative of fat metabolism. I'm 56.
  • linochka1969
    Hopefully so, but are you , yourself on Keto as well or just watching macros?

• leiflung
    leiflung Posts: 83 Member
    I think three weeks is plenty of time, if keto isn't making you feel better or making weight loss easier, then it's probably not for you.

I don't think keto really causes greater weight loss directly. It seems to me more that it helps with other issues that make weight loss difficult. Maybe you don't have any of those other issues.

It's a bit odd to me that you didn't drop water weight initially. Were you on a very low calorie diet before starting keto?
  • linochka1969
    Nope, before starting Keto I was on vacation in Europe eating fabulous food in Spain and not so fabulous in London however walking a lot . I am not just on Keto I am in ketosis ( according to ketosis strips) and nothing much happening
    Also with Keto, are we counting net carbs or just carbs?

And for the life of me what do I use to send a respond to the specific comment ?

all I see are these

January 31, 2019 1:26PM Flag Quote · Insightful Inspiring Like Woo Hug