Less Alcohol - January 2019 - One Day at a Time

1242526272830»

Replies

• kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    @Lilylady3k - congrats on your success! Looks like we're on same path. After last year's DJ I did four AF days per week. I like the idea of stretching that a bit. I guess if I were gonna do that I'd add Sunday, so I'd be AF Sun-Thurs. Still pondering. Right now, I'm just excited about having a glass or two of wine tomorrow. We're going to a nice place for dinner on Sat. night too, so prob more wine. I guess right now my plan is to just not get crazy this weekend!
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited January 2019
    kittybenn wrote: »
    @Lilylady3k - congrats on your success! Looks like we're on same path. After last year's DJ I did four AF days per week. I like the idea of stretching that a bit. I guess if I were gonna do that I'd add Sunday, so I'd be AF Sun-Thurs. Still pondering. Right now, I'm just excited about having a glass or two of wine tomorrow. We're going to a nice place for dinner on Sat. night too, so prob more wine. I guess right now my plan is to just not get crazy this weekend!

@kittybenn Congrats on working in your mind a plan. I know that I have plans to have wine or champagne soon ... to celebrate my retirement!!! It is nice to plan the indulgences!

I tend to set my goals to things I believe might be reasonable and then celebrate if I beat them (without food or alcohol). LOL Got to start somewhere and feel like I'm accomplishing something because I know later this year (summertime) I need to have a mindset that this is just what I do ... not a challenge but a habit. My challenge for the rest of the year will need to include not overdoing it when I plan 1 or 2 glasses and not let them slip into 3-5 glasses in the evening.

I really like the accountability of checking in here each day. My week journaling is Mon-Sun with plans to be AF Mon-Thurs. Sundays are usually family time including wine ... we are getting better. I found that many times for me Sunday was a make up day for a slip earlier in the week (even when others in the household were drinking) ... but then more often than not it ended up being my 5th AF day of the week. It really worked for me this past month to trade-out a weekday slip or plan (book club, bunco, etc) as not a problem but just another tradeoff and give up a weekend evening of drinking. Learning my capabilities and feeling stronger for being able to recognize it as a balance ... just like this losing weight deal. It is a choice and not a punishment.

• Lilylady3k
    edited February 2019
    You’ll never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine. - John C. Maxwell

January accountability ~31 days so far
    No Alcohol: 19 days
    Alcohol: 12 days (27 drinks)
    Goal: AF days 4 per week / 16 per month
    To view the weekly count toward 4 ... AF Mon Dec 31!
    Jan 1 - AF
    Jan 2 - Dinner out with hubby after challenging day at work transitioning my role. Looks like it will take weeks to ramp them up. Didn't leave chair for 9 hrs. (excuses) - limited myself to 1 glass of wine
    Jan 3 - Bunco - limit 1 glass wine. Slipped up and had 2-3 (I call it 12 oz 3 if light pour / 2 if heavy pour) What happen to my resolve to drink water after 1 glass?
    Jan 4 - Traveling with my mom & sister 7 hrs today for a funeral Saturday. Plans to limit to 1 glass of wine was blown. I lacked the willpower which I need to work on. 1 margarita at mexican restaurant, 1 glass of wine in hotel suite everyone gathered at after dinner.
    Jan 5 - AF Driving 7 hours return trip
    Jan 6 - AF
    *This past week Monday thru Sunday I hit my 4 days of AF by reigning it in Sat and Sun! No social challenges next week. It will be just me and my own willpower to bank AF days for the month to offset challenging weeks ahead.

Jan 7 - AF
    Jan 8 - AF
    Jan 9 - AF
    Jan 10 - AF - Driving 6 hours this evening
    *Last 3 nights I skipped the beer and bourbon & did not join DH in drinking. Patting myself on the back for the resolve to stick to 4 nights AF this week M-Th. Planning for wine with dinner Fri & Sat but I'm feeling so much more in control these days with this resolve.
    Jan 11 - 4 glasses (2 red, 2 white) Opened 2 bottles of wine with DH should have limited myself to 1 glass from each; almost doubled my number of drinks for the month in one night sitting outside with neighbors looking out over the water and grilling steaks.
    Jan 12 - Used 3/4 cup of the 1 bottle of white for cooking the Risotto. 2 smaller glasses. Success in that everyone else had 1 drink before I started pouring wine for myself and DH with dinner.
    Jan 13 - AF - proud that I did not just join the crowd this evening
    *5 AF days this week!

Jan 14 - AF - ding ding ding DH & I had steak without red wine!
    Jan 15 - AF
    Jan 16 - Bookclub - intention was to limit 1 glass wine but after rough day at work had 2; splitting a bottle with my daughter
    Jan 17 - AF
    Jan 18 - 2 glasses of wine with dinner
    Jan 19 - AF - Party, friend’s fully stocked tiki bar, drank 2 bottles of water instead of everything offered. Designated driver 50+ miles from home though DH did not drink but 1.
    Jan 20 - AF, company w/ steak & roasted veggies dinner for all, Saints game … no alcohol for 6 of us … my sister brought orange cosmos but she was the only one that drank it.
    Beat my goal ... 5 AF days this week!

This week I have three scheduled challenges with a plan to limit my consumption. The other 4 days I need to stick to my AF plan. Slipped 1 day this week. Goal is to hold to the rest of the plan! I just need one more day to meet my 16 AF goal for the month! I can do this!
    Jan 21 - Bookclub - limit 1 glass wine; finally lived up to my plan to not have a second glass in a social situation!
    Jan 22 - AF
    Jan 23 - Unplanned. Frustrating day brother/sister inlaws ended with DH & I out for Italian & wine. 2 glasses
    Jan 24 - AF
    Jan 25 - Planned dinner out to begin celebrating my early retirement next week. Didn’t stick to the plan to limit 2. gasses of wine. 1 drink before and after dinner @ bars + 3 glasses of wine with dinner. Total 5.
    Jan 26 - Hiking with my son & his Fiancée then they want to go to a brewery. Plan: Limit 1 beer Well limited myself to 1 beer in the afternoon at the brewery. But then 2 margaritas in the evening.
    Jan 27 - AF (while everyone else drank wine I had water).

Achieved my monthly goal!!! Now to stretch my weekly goal of 4 AF days per week into February.
    Jan 28 - AF
    Jan 29 - AF ! Yeah me! Dining Out group.
    Jan 30 - AF
    Jan 31 - Planned 2 but kept to 1 glass wine! Retiring from company after 30 years
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Lilylady3k wrote: »
    You’ll never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine. - John C. Maxwell

January accountability ~31 days so far
    No Alcohol: 19 days
    Alcohol: 12 days (27 drinks)
    Goal: AF days 4 per week / 16 per month
    To view the weekly count toward 4 ... AF Mon Dec 31!
    Jan 1 - AF
    Jan 2 - Dinner out with hubby after challenging day at work transitioning my role. Looks like it will take weeks to ramp them up. Didn't leave chair for 9 hrs. (excuses) - limited myself to 1 glass of wine
    Jan 3 - Bunco - limit 1 glass wine. Slipped up and had 2-3 (I call it 12 oz 3 if light pour / 2 if heavy pour) What happen to my resolve to drink water after 1 glass?
    Jan 4 - Traveling with my mom & sister 7 hrs today for a funeral Saturday. Plans to limit to 1 glass of wine was blown. I lacked the willpower which I need to work on. 1 margarita at mexican restaurant, 1 glass of wine in hotel suite everyone gathered at after dinner.
    Jan 5 - AF Driving 7 hours return trip
    Jan 6 - AF
    *This past week Monday thru Sunday I hit my 4 days of AF by reigning it in Sat and Sun! No social challenges next week. It will be just me and my own willpower to bank AF days for the month to offset challenging weeks ahead.

Jan 7 - AF
    Jan 8 - AF
    Jan 9 - AF
    Jan 10 - AF - Driving 6 hours this evening
    *Last 3 nights I skipped the beer and bourbon & did not join DH in drinking. Patting myself on the back for the resolve to stick to 4 nights AF this week M-Th. Planning for wine with dinner Fri & Sat but I'm feeling so much more in control these days with this resolve.
    Jan 11 - 4 glasses (2 red, 2 white) Opened 2 bottles of wine with DH should have limited myself to 1 glass from each; almost doubled my number of drinks for the month in one night sitting outside with neighbors looking out over the water and grilling steaks.
    Jan 12 - Used 3/4 cup of the 1 bottle of white for cooking the Risotto. 2 smaller glasses. Success in that everyone else had 1 drink before I started pouring wine for myself and DH with dinner.
    Jan 13 - AF - proud that I did not just join the crowd this evening
    *5 AF days this week!

Jan 14 - AF - ding ding ding DH & I had steak without red wine!
    Jan 15 - AF
    Jan 16 - Bookclub - intention was to limit 1 glass wine but after rough day at work had 2; splitting a bottle with my daughter
    Jan 17 - AF
    Jan 18 - 2 glasses of wine with dinner
    Jan 19 - AF - Party, friend’s fully stocked tiki bar, drank 2 bottles of water instead of everything offered. Designated driver 50+ miles from home though DH did not drink but 1.
    Jan 20 - AF, company w/ steak & roasted veggies dinner for all, Saints game … no alcohol for 6 of us … my sister brought orange cosmos but she was the only one that drank it.
    Beat my goal ... 5 AF days this week!

This week I have three scheduled challenges with a plan to limit my consumption. The other 4 days I need to stick to my AF plan. Slipped 1 day this week. Goal is to hold to the rest of the plan! I just need one more day to meet my 16 AF goal for the month! I can do this!
    Jan 21 - Bookclub - limit 1 glass wine; finally lived up to my plan to not have a second glass in a social situation!
    Jan 22 - AF
    Jan 23 - Unplanned. Frustrating day brother/sister inlaws ended with DH & I out for Italian & wine. 2 glasses
    Jan 24 - AF
    Jan 25 - Planned dinner out to begin celebrating my early retirement next week. Didn’t stick to the plan to limit 2. gasses of wine. 1 drink before and after dinner @ bars + 3 glasses of wine with dinner. Total 5.
    Jan 26 - Hiking with my son & his Fiancée then they want to go to a brewery. Plan: Limit 1 beer Well limited myself to 1 beer in the afternoon at the brewery. But then 2 margaritas in the evening.
    Jan 27 - AF (while everyone else drank wine I had water).

Achieved my monthly goal!!! Now to stretch my weekly goal of 4 AF days per week into February.
    Jan 28 - AF
    Jan 29 - AF ! Yeah me! Dining Out group.
    Jan 30 - AF
    Jan 31 - Planned 2 but kept to 1 glass wine! Retiring from company after 30 years

Congrats on retirement - what a huge accomplishment and way to stick to, even exceed, your plan!
  • Lilylady3k
    @WinoGelato Thank you!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    edited February 2019
    Seeing a lot of success here - congrats to all! I was thrilled and proud of myself to wake up this morning and realize I'd made it through the month. I'm not even dying for a glass of wine. @Lilylady3k - thanks for great ideas. We are on the same wavelength. I'm planning on my first glasses of wine tonight. Have them logged in and accounted for, but am reminded about the empty calories and all the space they can take up in a 1,400 cal/day plan. I'm still not sure what I'm doing in Feb., but it'll be easy to go back to the default of only drinking Fri-Sun. I do like the idea of waiting for special occasions thought. Also still thinking about limiting the wine to a set # of units per week.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,547 Member
    @Lilylady3k how is your first day of retirement going? Congratulations and enjoy.
  • Sub4_2018
    Sub4_2018 Posts: 52 Member
    @Lilylady3k Congratulations!! Such an exciting time. And great job on keeping it to 1 glass!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    Congratulations @Ladylily3K! I hear retirement is a beautiful thing.

Congratulations @Ed_Zilla on your AF streak so far! Your sleeping will continue to improve.

I’m so inspired by everyone’s stories. Are we all hopping over to the new February thread or staying here?

I drank more often this week than I had all month- almost every night there was something going on. Two different book clubs back to back did not help, and I over drank then and felt terrible the next day. Last night only one glass of wine at dinner with another couple- and she was doing Dey January!

Alcohol is weird- once I broke the daily habit, it was pretty easy to stay away from it all week. But now that I’ve had it every day this week, going AF seems daunting again! Inertia is a powerful thing.

Happy February!
  • Well the one who you are looking for is in Dollars I convert here So you need to also try out this.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    I went off the rails last night.... Back on track. Geez! So many more positives for me of not drinking!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    I have switched to Feb string! Yea! Happy to report Dry Jan and Feb besides for Super Bowl! Back on track!