47 (this Sunday!) with Hashimoto's looking for the motivation for this to be my year!!

Aalps
Aalps Posts: 20 Member
Hi, I'm going to be 47 on Sunday 3rd Feb and it's really time I made myself understand I'm not a happy chubby person! I have Hashimoto's and my hypothyroid is well controlled with LT, I've just had surgery last week to stop bleeding which has caused me to be anaemic for the last 3 years so I now have no excuses and need to kick my backside into smaller clothes! I probably need to lose around 70lbs which will be no mean feat, but I am not in any hurry. I would be most appreciative of anyone who can give me a cheer from the forums <3

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    If your hypothyroid is medicated right then you will be able to lose weight as easily as anyone with a normal functioning thyroid. I have no thyroid and am losing weight steadily while on medication.

Good luck! You can do this!!!!
  • MamaTortoise
    MamaTortoise Posts: 3 Member
    I have Hashimoto's as well! I have four siblings and all of us have it, and we were all diagnosed fairly young. We joke that someone should study us in a lab. :p

My older sister lost 100 pounds over a span of ~5 years, so losing weight is definitely possible if you're treated.

Feel free to add me as a friend (that goes for anyone reading this). I'm back on MyFitnessPal on a new account after a long break, and can use some accountability partners.
  • Aalps
    Thank you ladies! I’m pretty well under control and have no excuse for not getting on with this so I will start logging and see what happens!! 😊
  • 1985nurse
    1985nurse Posts: 4 Member
    I also have hashimotos and lost 20 pounds but unfortunately fell off the wagon and gained it back. I know it is possible so will try again to get back on track
  • PLoveElliott
    PLoveElliott Posts: 114 Member
    Hi everyone, I have Hashimoto’s, recently diagnosed after fighting to be heard for 7 years. I also have very toxicity levels of lead and mercury and am going through a chelation therapy. My thyroid levels are been managed with meds and are back to normal. Weight has been one of the challenges I have had and it isn’t coming off. I’m a bit frustrated as I keep seeing the scale creeping up. I am active and eat pretty clean and healthy. I’m happy to connect with others that also have Hashimoto’s so there is a support system there that gets the struggle.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Starting from the point of Levothyroxine not suiting everyone from personal experience, reading between the lines of your bleeding for three years, I tentatively suggest it does not suit you. I hope whole heartedly you have your ovaries having them removed can set one back so much more.

If you can discover the cause of your autoimmunity it will really help, too many are refused the antibody tests because general medicine does not see the point of knowing, their treatment is one size fits all and many do not know they have Hashimoto's for this reason. Any inflammation is best lowered if at all possible. (This can be where lowering carbs can help some)

As PloveEllliot says knowing what toxicity you have and doing chelation therapy can really help you. I have to be careful of my copper levels which is more difficult because a vegetarian diet is higher in copper and lower in zinc. Also fearing osteoporosis I discovered my calcium levels are critical too.

I would strongly advise someone for whom health and wellbeing eludes them find an alternative practitioner, could even be a nutritionist who is trained to use the results of blood tests to detect if there are signs of other endocrine disruptions which cause the thyroid to be targeted, regrettably the thyroid is the organ which reflects the state of other endocrine organs and general medicine do not always give credit to this fact expecting a one size fits all sort of treatment. Vitamins and minerals do help those of us who have difficulties in converting t4 to the active t3. Some practitioners offer desiccated products other than the standard ones we mostly can not have from our regular doctors.

Once on the right treatment for you it can be easier to loose weight, it takes the body to be restored to normal working for it to happen. This post is for those who are at the extreme of needs. Once upon a time, t3 was given to those with depression to relieve symptoms, even the scientist/doctor who hit on the idea of testing tsh has said the test he set up is being abused.

I suggest, sites like Hypothyroid mom, Stop the thyroid madness site or book, following your symptoms, they back up with science, use those and hospital sites not someone's blogs they can be off science. There are in the region of 300 for our bodies to choose our personal selection from, some over lap and diversify, that was from some site probably hypothyroid mom. Even your national support site can be very helpful.

Wishing everyone all the very best who has this despicable problems.

There is a site for hyper and hypo thyroid on here with interesting links and information, many threads,only it is rather comatose needs new active members.
  • Aalps
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »

There is a site for hyper and hypo thyroid on here with interesting links and information, many threads,only it is rather comatose needs new active members.

Just realised I never followed this up... I'm now 34lb lighter and doing well, but @Fuzzipeg this sentence made me giggle so much, with hypothyroidism it's not just the threads in here that are slightly comatose :D
  • pinaycoco
    pinaycoco Posts: 59 Member
    I have Hashimoto's as well! I have four siblings and all of us have it, and we were all diagnosed fairly young. We joke that someone should study us in a lab. :p

My older sister lost 100 pounds over a span of ~5 years, so losing weight is definitely possible if you're treated.

Feel free to add me as a friend (that goes for anyone reading this). I'm back on MyFitnessPal on a new account after a long break, and can use some accountability partners.

I also have Hashimoto's. I lost 10kg last year but gained 4kg back as my Hashimoto's got worse. I would love to add you! We can do this!
  • pinaycoco
    Hi everyone, I have Hashimoto’s, recently diagnosed after fighting to be heard for 7 years. I also have very toxicity levels of lead and mercury and am going through a chelation therapy. My thyroid levels are been managed with meds and are back to normal. Weight has been one of the challenges I have had and it isn’t coming off. I’m a bit frustrated as I keep seeing the scale creeping up. I am active and eat pretty clean and healthy. I’m happy to connect with others that also have Hashimoto’s so there is a support system there that gets the struggle.

I also have Hashimoto's. I lost 10kg last year but gained 4kg back as my Hashimoto's got worse. I would love to add you! We can do this!
  • pinaycoco
    Aalps wrote: »
    Hi, I'm going to be 47 on Sunday 3rd Feb and it's really time I made myself understand I'm not a happy chubby person! I have Hashimoto's and my hypothyroid is well controlled with LT, I've just had surgery last week to stop bleeding which has caused me to be anaemic for the last 3 years so I now have no excuses and need to kick my backside into smaller clothes! I probably need to lose around 70lbs which will be no mean feat, but I am not in any hurry. I would be most appreciative of anyone who can give me a cheer from the forums <3