Any other veggies with IBS out there?

Hi ☺️

I am new and looking for other veggies with IBS. I have been living with IBS for over 10 years and it's pretty isolating. It's making my life miserable & my list of food intolerances keeps growing and growing. I don't know anyone who has IBS as bad as mine. I try to have a sense of humour about it but the cramps, horrible toilet times, embarrassing symptoms, diet restrictions ect gets a bit much! Not only that it has an affect on my social life. It just makes me hate food. I've been to the doctors about it too many times to remember and have requested to see a dietician multiple times with no luck!

I'm hoping to make friends with other veggies with IBS hopefully to inspire me & to help me feel less alone.

Replies

• KLD145
    KLD145 Posts: 106 Member
    Hi
    I’m a flexitarian. Trying to go the veggie route full time. I empathise with you. I have had bloating and pain for years but put up with it. Then 2 years ago I had some stressful events that sent my whole system in to overdrive. My symptoms increased significantly. Weight loss, pain, bloating, bowel changes. You name it. Saw a doctor and had tests and procedures. Now diagnosed gluten intolerant, lactose intolerant with IBS.
    But I’m the same. Limited diet. Excessive embarrassing wind. I’m frightened to eat sometimes as the symptoms are so bad. It’s had an effect on family and relationship as I can’t eat as much. Offensive smelly wind. Nausea and pain. I study restaurant menus before I go out. Live mainly on salads. Love eggs, honey, broccoli, cauliflower and nuts but think these are having an effect on my bowel and increasing pain and wind.
    Love bread but can’t eat that anymore. Eating was so enjoyable but now I’m unsure what to have.
    I have been referred to a dietitian so I’m trying to be hopeful but I have read so much I wonder if I will learn anything new!!!
    I will let you know what they say. Maybe something will help you.
  • AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    KLD145 wrote: »
    Hi
    I’m a flexitarian. Trying to go the veggie route full time. I empathise with you. I have had bloating and pain for years but put up with it. Then 2 years ago I had some stressful events that sent my whole system in to overdrive. My symptoms increased significantly. Weight loss, pain, bloating, bowel changes. You name it. Saw a doctor and had tests and procedures. Now diagnosed gluten intolerant, lactose intolerant with IBS.
    But I’m the same. Limited diet. Excessive embarrassing wind. I’m frightened to eat sometimes as the symptoms are so bad. It’s had an effect on family and relationship as I can’t eat as much. Offensive smelly wind. Nausea and pain. I study restaurant menus before I go out. Live mainly on salads. Love eggs, honey, broccoli, cauliflower and nuts but think these are having an effect on my bowel and increasing pain and wind.
    Love bread but can’t eat that anymore. Eating was so enjoyable but now I’m unsure what to have.
    I have been referred to a dietitian so I’m trying to be hopeful but I have read so much I wonder if I will learn anything new!!!
    I will let you know what they say. Maybe something will help you.

Hi ☺️
    I'm sorry you're having such a tough time with it too! I hope the dietician is helpful and thank you for letting me know! I've practically begged and begged the doctors to refer me. I've told them multiple times that this actually makes me feel suicidal sometimes but I'm in the UK and IBS & food intolerances aren't taken seriously whatsoever. I want to see a dietician so I can have a meal plan. But the doctors just say to look online but even when I look at IBS diets, there's always something in a recipe I can't eat.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    There have been huge advances with IBS recently. Look into a high quality colostrum. My wife had terrible IBS for years and it was completely cured after figuring out food sensitivities and going gluten free.
  • AutumLeaf
    There have been huge advances with IBS recently. Look into a high quality colostrum. My wife had terrible IBS for years and it was completely cured after figuring out food sensitivities and going gluten free.

Hello :smile: I have not heard of colostrum before, thank you for letting me know! I'm glad that your wife has found her cure - that's hopeful to hear.

My issue is that I have so many food intolerance that it's hard to actually eat anything! Even healthy food like raw vegetables and fruit gives me horrendous cramps and gas. I'm trying to treat my body well but it's having none of it.
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    I have a history of IBS, which basically disappeared when I went vegetarian. Occasional bouts when I forget that cheese makes me ill.
  • TheJenJen78
    TheJenJen78 Posts: 10 Member
    Hi there fellow Veg-head here 😊 for over 25 years now! Are you taking a probiotic? Because you need to be taking probiotics!! I take them 3 - 4 days after meals. It takes away bloating, gas, and traumatic bathroom episodes. Trust me. Also, I take a digestive enzyme before my meals too. Do some research Probiotics are a God send!
  • thepainmaker88
    thepainmaker88 Posts: 365 Member
    Been living with IBS since an infant... it sucks beyond belief and I sympathize with you! I can’t bring myself to cut out meats even though it’d probably be wise to. I hunt I fish I lift weights and just love the taste of meat! To me becoming a vegan would mean giving up a huge part of my life...

I’ve noticed as I get older my symptoms only get worse. I can no longer hold the urge to poo when I gotta go man I gotta go! The cramps can bring me to my knees sometimes. Then after going I literally suffer from pain in my *kitten* and rectum bleeding. Im only 30 and have to have a colonoscopy every two years due to polyps in my intestines.

One thing I can handle is watching my sugar and fat intake especially from like deep fried foods. I try to eat healthy lean meats like venison and fish and that helps a lot. My #1 enemy is fast food and refined sugars
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    What did they test you for?

If things keep getting worse, there could always be something else that is the issue rather than IBS. Celiac disease, food allergies (many food allergies can be mild enough not to give rashes and hives but instead cause lots of inflammation and problems in the gut), salicylate intolerance (this is a substance IN a lot of foods, especially a lot of veggies, herbs, and fruits), histamine intolerance (with this, a low histamine diet can be helpful. But when it is not treated, it tends to get worse and worse and one can lose more and more foods) or fructose intolerance (low FODMAP diet is needed).

Also, if you are having this much trouble, you are likely lactose intolerance. Lactose digestion requires undamaged villi in the intestines, as they create lactase used in the digestion. If there is any damage from reactions to food, then it can temporarily damage your ability to digest lactose. can have similar issues with digesting sucrose, as there is some issue with damaged villi involved with that, too.

I know lactose intolerance seems so simple it's stupid, but seriously, I had a friend who was sick, for over 2 years, could hardly eat anything and became seriously underweight, and it turned out to be severe lactose intolerance. The doctors literally where checking her for possible stomach cancer before they ever considered lactose intolerance - which takes a breath test to diagnose.

• AutumLeaf
    @SarahLascelles1 Glad you found your thing :) I find vegan has been the best diet for me because of the lacto intolerance but I still get problems with a vegan diet because of garlic, raw veg & fruit trigger it off too.

@TheJenJen78 Yay high 5! Congrats on being veggie over 25 years :) Im on my longest streak, 3/4 years. Before my family kept talking me out of it.
    I started probiotics 2/3 weeks ago but only been taking 1 so far to see how that goes. I've not noticed any changes. So I shall go up to 2. How long did it take you before you had improvements? I could take lacto enzymes for about a year but they stopped working. Which enzymes do you take?

@thepainmaker88 I understand meat is a big part of your life. It's been easier for me because I've never been a big fan of the taste of meat & always found meat gross. My family wouldn't let me be a veggie growing up. They dont understand how a meal can work without meat. They're very disrespectful about my choices even though I dont have a go at them about eating meat. I have met though people who meat was a big part of their life because the gym ect but are now vegan & wish they'd done it sooner but I know it's not for everyone :).
    Sounds like you have it really bad! I'm the same, when I go to go, I have to go then! Otherwise I end up constipated. My body is extremely impatient & will punish me if I don't go exactly when I need to. I cant believe this horrific cramps is part of my life, like I cant believe most people dont suffer with, & the other horrible symptoms. I have to wipe my behind so much that I get rectum bleeding too. Sometimes toilet paper feels like razor blades.

@shaumom I have only been tested with ceiliacs but it always comes out negative. In the UK they dont test for anything else. I just get told to just not eat what makes me ill - which is easier said than done! I've figured so far Im intolerant to; lactose, eggs, most fruit, raw veg, onion. I desp want to see a dietician but Im always told no, to just look online. Im considering getting the most extensive food intolerance test which is £300, plus then the dietician appts are £75 a session after that.

I only knew about lacto intolerance and gluten so thank you for sharing about the other intolerances! Explains a lot!I I'm trying to do a low FodMap diet but finding it extremely difficult. I'm a terrible cook & dont enjoy it, really need professional help as I find it all too overwhelming.

Lactose is in so many things, even silly things like I've seen it in bread & baked beans. My medication has lactose in it but I need them so I cant get away from it. Thank you again for the info :)
  • KLD145
    I have been told that I will need to take lots of food out and then start to reintroduce.
    I’m not sure i will learn anything I don’t know.
    I have tried probiotic tablets but they made me more uncomfortable.
    I have got used to no gluten but I find it hard to eliminate dairy with lactose completely but I do try as very windy. I use lactase tablets when I really can’t live without dairy.
    I’m on a limited due as it is consisting of mainly raw plant based foods and nuts.
    But looking at my list a lot of nuts cause a flammatory response.
    Someone recommended this book

Dr. Sue Shepherd and 1 more
    The Complete Low-FODMAP Diet: The revolutionary plan for managing symptoms in IBS, Crohn's disease, coeliac disease and other digestive disorders.

I only got it yesterday as only £1.99 on Amazon kindle.
    Anyone read it??

I’m told I may have to take sugar out of diet to help with symptoms.
    I do like a bit of honey, jam with a scone or a slice of vegan and gluten free carrot cake.
    Can I not eat anything. 😐😐
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I saw a gastro and we did a FODMAP protocol and I found my food triggers.

This past year I started having symptoms again and it took me a while to zero in on a food that had previously been okay which suddenly stopped being okay, and now I have some relief.

I can't imagine doing a raw protocol with nuts, because that pretty much describes my list of triggers. I can eat very few raw vegetables and can't eat more than the tiniest amount of nuts without having issues.
  • KLD145
    I do think some of the nuts make my symptoms worse. So I know I will have to take them out and introduce to see which ones.
    I will be doing the FODMAP with the dietician I think. Cashews are probably my worst. My other half loves them so will take some willpower not to have any.
    But I will try anything for pain free.
    I was lucky I was referred and had tests which also highlighted an unusual bowel with loops which is harder for me to open bowels unless I have gluten which gives loose bowels. So now have to have a medication.
  • annegrose
    annegrose Posts: 8 Member
    You really must try the FODMAP diet, I suffered for 35 years with chronic IBS and one year ago I discovered the FODMAP diet and isolated that I was intolerant of GOS foods (wheat, beetroot, butternut squash, cashew nuts, pistachios, hazelnuts and beans/chick peas and lentils). Since stopping eating these foods, I have not had a single episode of pain, bloating or diarrhea. My arthritis has all but gone and I feel 10 years younger. Yes, it is hard to eliminate everything for 3 weeks and then gradually test and then reintroduce over the next 10 weeks, but what is 3 months of your life against a lifetime of pain
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Hi there fellow Veg-head here 😊 for over 25 years now! Are you taking a probiotic? Because you need to be taking probiotics!! I take them 3 - 4 days after meals. It takes away bloating, gas, and traumatic bathroom episodes. Trust me. Also, I take a digestive enzyme before my meals too. Do some research Probiotics are a God send!

My mom has IBS and, in addition to probiotics, takes acacia powder. http://www.heatherstummycare.com/wholesale/fiberlaminate.pdf

Her IBS acts up in times of stress, and when that happens she has to eat foods with insoluble fiber after foods with soluble fiber. https://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber1.asp
  • KLD145
    Hi. I’m going to be put on the FODMAP diet from next week. So fingers crossed. What probiotics are people using. I purchased some from the health shop but 3 weeks in and the pain is intense. I stopped again. They said I would get bloating for a couple of weeks but I was even worse. I have read that Alflorex is very good. But £50 for 60 tablets??
    What are other people using??
    I have the acidophilus 3 billion which are £12.79 for 100.
    Maybe I just need to keep going for a bit longer.
  • AutumLeaf
    @KLD145 good luck with the low fodmap :)
    I have mega acidophilus from Holland and Barrett, i think it was around £9 for 60. I keep forgetting to take them. I have it on my breakfast table so it's there but I still forget. £50 is a lot of money. I couldn't understand why we couldn't get antibiotics on prescription but then found out it's classed as food product.
  • KLD145
    £50 is a lot. Would need to be miracle tablets for me to pay that. I will try the bottle I have. Ask the dietician next week for their recommendations.
    What’s the best FODMAP app. The 2 recommended both cost around £5.
  • AutumLeaf
    @kdl145 I hope one day probiotics will be classed as medicine so we could at least get in on prescription. I've not actually looked into fodmap app sorry. I have looked up before IBS apps but couldn't find anything good. What is the recommended apps? What is it? Is it like a food log, recipes? You could use MFP as well by making notes in the food diary to keep track of any adverse reactions to food.
  • KLD145
    Monash FODMAP. https://www.monashfodmap.com/ibs-central/i-have-ibs/get-the-app/
    FODMAP by FM. http://foodmaestro.me/fodmap-app/
    One is researched by Australia. The other kings college and Guys and ST Thomas. UK.
    You can scan food. Etc.
    I went to my appointment today.
    Will have to get my head around it all. They recommended these apps.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    As above I also recommend the Monash University app. The best thing for me was that I went through a whole elimination diet with a nutritionist (over a couple of months) and found my trigger foods. You mentioned raw vegetables - they are really triggering! Also onions and garlic are the worst... also, not surprisingly beans are bad too. A bit of trial and error and you'll get there.