1181920212224»

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited November 2017
    BUMP! Thanks for recommending the read, @stanmann571
  • dodgowan
    dodgowan Posts: 42 Member
    This is a brilliant post and a great read. Deserves a bump!
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    bump and tag this great post
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Bump as this article is well worth a read.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Bump as this article is well worth a read.

Agreed I was just thinking mentioning this thread in another thread
  • lrobi2114
    lrobi2114 Posts: 4 Member
    Very informative. Thanks for all your great work. I recently googled ‘plateaus when dieting’ and came to learn a lot!
    Your info is very helpful to follow up with my reading. Thanks again.
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    This is a great post
  • stargirlhorse
    stargirlhorse Posts: 45 Member
    edited August 2020
    It might've been said before, but what about smaller weight losses? It was kind of hard to read (and that's my fault because I'm tired) but TDEE is 10-15% lower than the one a calculator will spit out at you?

"Smaller" means 15lbs originally lost, but now I'm unfortunately around 12/13ish. The doctor's scale said I was only down 10, but I also had a 11-day late period, bladder full of pee and had eaten breakfast about an hour before (seriously, doc, what gives? Let me feel good about myself for once...)

Highest weight: 136.
    Lowest weight: 121.
    Doctor's scale with the added anommalies above: 126.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    It might've been said before, but what about smaller weight losses? It was kind of hard to read (and that's my fault because I'm tired) but TDEE is 10-15% lower than the one a calculator will spit out at you?

"Smaller" means 15lbs originally lost, but now I'm unfortunately around 12/13ish. The doctor's scale said I was only down 10, but I also had a 11-day late period, bladder full of pee and had eaten breakfast about an hour before (seriously, doc, what gives? Let me feel good about myself for once...)

Highest weight: 136.
    Lowest weight: 121.
    Doctor's scale with the added anommalies above: 126.

If your period is 11 days late, that in and of itself will affect your weight, given the potential causes for that (other than pregnancy). I did read your other conversation thread; you received good advice there.
  • Emmile1
    Emmile1 Posts: 7 Member
    Hold up... if i currently maintain on 1450 calories per day (im 4'10 or 147.3 cm), once done my 15lb weight loss, I will require as little as 1088 calories per day? Thats... offputting.... Can someone confirm?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,967 Member
    Emmile1 wrote: »
    Hold up... if i currently maintain on 1450 calories per day (im 4'10 or 147.3 cm), once done my 15lb weight loss, I will require as little as 1088 calories per day? Thats... offputting.... Can someone confirm?

Improbable IMO. Lose very slowly with so little to lose, do some strength-challenging activities, push for extra daily life activity if you're worried. You have a lot of control over the relevant factors, in practice, IMO. Some people maintain above estimates, some maintain below - shift your odds to the extent practical, otherwise don't worry about it. Just my opinion, and maybe easy for me to say as someone maintaining several hundred calories above MFP's (and Garmin's) estimates despite losing 50+ pounds in less than a year back in 2015-16. Your n=1 is unique, and you won't know what it is until you get there.
  • raenright
    raenright Posts: 54 Member
    This thread was recommended in another thread, very interesting and informative read