Volume Eaters Thread

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Posted this in the recipe section, but because this also belongs here....

7b69i11m4f7x.jpg

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 1.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 465
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 15 g 23 %
    Saturated Fat 5 g 23 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 5 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 3 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 583 mg 194 %
    Sodium 1130 mg 47 %
    Potassium 862 mg 25 %
    Total Carbohydrate 40 g 13 %
    Dietary Fiber 19 g 77 %
    Sugars 18 g
    Protein 47 g 94 %
    Vitamin A 458 %
    Vitamin C 5 %
    Calcium 106 %
    ]Iron 43 %
    * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

Get:

0.25 cup, Apple Sauce
    1 tsp, Baking Powder
    2 cup, Pure Pumpkin
    1 Tablespoons, Salt
    30 g, protein powder ANY (I used myprotein Vanilla)
    3 large, Egg
    1 Tablespoon, Vanilla

Do:
    #1. Crack eggs and separate white from yolk.
    #2. Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks (photo 1)
    #3. Mix the yolks and protein powder until well combined.
    #4. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix until its all combined. Taste for sweetness. To my taste I did not need to add any sweetened because the protein powder was sweet enough. (photo 2)
    #5. In 3 parts fold in the beaten egg whites into the mix. Just until combined. Dont over mix. I used a spatula for this (photo 3)
    #6. Line a baking pan or spring pan (I used the same one I am using for my cheesecake (6x3) and it was almost to the top before baking, and fill with the mix. Top with some shaved chocolate and berries if you like, like I did.
    #7. Bake at 375F for 45 - 50 minutes. In my Breville Smart Pro it was 45 minutes. Do the tooth pick test to be sure.
    #8. Allow to cool and enjoy a slice or the whole thing.

Photo 1.
    x2d1ssyuh8ok.jpg

Photo 2.
    j4xbwvab3j1k.jpg

Photo 3.
    bucplc5y3xbe.jpg

Photo 4. Before baking.
    8slx3ob6ex72.jpg

Photo 5. After baking.
    tvdai82g2o86.jpg

Is this a 6x3 pan? That is a small cake for almost 500 calories!

I think there could be a way to make it lower calorie for that amount of volume. I like the angel food protein cakes that are the size of a dinner plate for only 200 calories.

Actually... considering the calories in a normal cake that size might double to triple that.. 500 is awesome!
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Should I post another one like this but no baking will be required OR should I post something savoury now?

I vote for the no-bake sweet option!
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    I vote for both. :p
  • psychod787
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    I vote for both. :p

Yup...
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    @crazyravr - I feel like a creeper because I stalk you and your food.
    So, gonna just do it openly.

Keep them coming.
    Don’t care what- if it passes your QC, I’m IN.

Love the instruction photos as well.

I’m laid up after a surgery.
    Dining on gallons of bone broth, my roasted pumpkin curry soup (not crazy high volume because I like the coconut fats, but super vital, high fiber, and delicious!), and my dwindling stash of crazyravr protein waffles. Even on crutches, I can pop one in the oven!
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    ml0udc7vvbfd.jpg
    not bad for all these 'doughnuts' for 115 calories and 2 tbsp. of pb powder (45 calories)
    160 calorie 'little' snack :)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    ml0udc7vvbfd.jpg
    not bad for all these 'doughnuts' for 115 calories and 2 tbsp. of pb powder (45 calories)

This is just awesome! Is this that egg white recipe? What was it again? Sorry to make you post again (I tried searching the thread), this time I will bookmark it!
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    ml0udc7vvbfd.jpg

I'm glad I found this thread!! What are those doughnuts? Did you make them?
  • PAPYRUS3
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    ml0udc7vvbfd.jpg

I'm glad I found this thread!! What are those doughnuts? Did you make them?

[quote="Noreenmarie1234;c-43263985"
    This is just awesome! Is this that egg white recipe? What was it again? Sorry to make you post again (I tried searching the thread), this time I will bookmark it! [/quote]

No worries...I'm always misplacing 'crazyrav's' recipes lol!

This is surely based on his protein doughnuts...I've cut mine down - no protein powder,etc., His doughnuts (i'm sure) have a little more substance.

Here's my low calorie version: 115 calories total and 13 grams protein

2 tbsp. of coconut flour
    .5 tsp of baking powder
    3 egg whites
    .5 tsp of xanthum gum

whip egg whites til stiff. whip xanthum gum and mix and mix and mix!. sift and fold flour and b. powder into eggs careful not deflate. Spray doughnut molds - bake for around 10 minutes @ 350 degrees F

Just found Crazyrav's original posting...lots of great stuff on here...https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10570146/protein-donuts-using-your-favorite-protein-pancake-mix#latest
  • dippy_duck
    dippy_duck Posts: 18 Member
    I love volume eating. I love feeling like I’m eating loads but knowing the calories are low.
  • OneRatGirl
    OneRatGirl Posts: 124 Member
    I can eat a fair bit on my calories for now, but as I lose weight I'll need this thread more!

I'm eating omelettes lately though, 3 egg filled gives a good plate full for sub 500 calories that keeps me full. On a hungry day today, so gone this route for lunch.
  • psychod787
    Not as great as the Godfathers recipes, but for someone dabbling their feet in volume eating, they might check out Looneyforfood.com . He has some interesting recipes that have voluminous components.
  • purplefizzy
    Weird, very voluminous, sweet experiment today.

Heard of ‘aquafaba?’ Essentially, it is whipped leftover canned garbanzo bean water.
    Gets eerily similar to meringue.

Anyhow. I’d read recipes with it ages ago, then read some health concerns about aquafaba (BPA risk from the cans, lectins, etc etc) and was
    deterred. Yesterday I got curious enough (and was using garbanzos in curried chickpea-cauliflower soup) so whipped it up.

I made this:

qjikbijwxbo0.jpeg
    4zhokwyefdem.jpeg

Cals in aquafaba are negligible. So giant bowl of sweet stuff for cals in toppings (Peanut powder, cacao nibs.)

I was inspired by this post on aquafaba marshmallow fluff:
    http://www.picklesnhoney.com/2016/10/22/vegan-aquafaba-marshmallow-fluff/

I hacked at the recipe because that’s what I DO.

My modifications:

-1 can worth of garbanzo water
    -bit of cream of tartar
    -bit of xanathan gum (While I use this stuff, I’m also bit concerned about the possible leaky-gut/inflammation potential. I use it as a treat..)

Whip in stand mixer till white and creamy, soft peaks.

Add:
    --~1/4c monk sweet plus, a non-caloric sweetener blend I like
    -vanilla/other flavor

Whip again to stiff glossy peaks.

Do with it what you will.

I ate the whole giant bowl. It was a worthy exercise for the novelty factor. I’d make it again to use in something or to use as a vegan meringue when cooking for plant-only friends.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Weird, very voluminous, sweet experiment today.

Heard of ‘aquafaba?’ Essentially, it is whipped leftover canned garbanzo bean water.
    Gets eerily similar to meringue.

Anyhow. I’d read recipes with it ages ago, then read some health concerns about aquafaba (BPA risk from the cans, lectins, etc etc) and was
    deterred. Yesterday I got curious enough (and was using garbanzos in curried chickpea-cauliflower soup) so whipped it up.

I made this:

qjikbijwxbo0.jpeg
    4zhokwyefdem.jpeg

Cals in aquafaba are negligible. So giant bowl of sweet stuff for cals in toppings (Peanut powder, cacao nibs.)

I was inspired by this post on aquafaba marshmallow fluff:
    http://www.picklesnhoney.com/2016/10/22/vegan-aquafaba-marshmallow-fluff/

I hacked at the recipe because that’s what I DO.

My modifications:

-1 can worth of garbanzo water
    -bit of cream of tartar
    -bit of xanathan gum (While I use this stuff, I’m also bit concerned about the possible leaky-gut/inflammation potential. I use it as a treat..)

Whip in stand mixer till white and creamy, soft peaks.

Add:
    --~1/4c monk sweet plus, a non-caloric sweetener blend I like
    -vanilla/other flavor

Whip again to stiff glossy peaks.

Do with it what you will.

I ate the whole giant bowl. It was a worthy exercise for the novelty factor. I’d make it again to use in something or to use as a vegan meringue when cooking for plant-only friends.

Ohh! I'm excited to try this! Thanks!!
  • purplefizzy
    So welcome!
    Check out the food blogOsphere for real recipes, many dedicated people have done some cool stuff with it and explain it way better than I did :)
  • PAPYRUS3
    So welcome!
    Check out the food blogOsphere for real recipes, many dedicated people have done some cool stuff with it and explain it way better than I did :)

I've made this a while ago, and found the smell and taste a little off putting...did you notice this at all?
  • PAPYRUS3
    edited February 2019
    You guys have access to pressed cottage cheese blocks? Like this? Asking for future things to come :)

pressed-dry-cottage-cheese-05mf-800x450_pack.png?W=500

Yes! I buy it weekly. love it. I think I've used it in your cheesecake (1/2 yogurt and 1/2 pressed cheese). Worked well as I remember
  • purplefizzy
    I've made this a while ago, and found the smell and taste a little off putting...did you notice this at all?

It was a bit ‘bean-y’ so I was heavy handed with the vanilla (good kind, a bourbon vanilla) and the faux PBFit and nibs helped.

I think I’ll try a version with copious amounts of cacao powder and maybe some powdered espresso. Texture was on-point and I’m having to change up my foods because an injury has my needs much lower than usual.

Please, volume friends, keep the inspiration coming!! I’m used to eating like an athlete. Struggling to adjust to the drastically reduced needs I have, post surgery and forced to rest 18+ hours a day.

I understand that I desperately need to reign in my usual kCals, and also just accept some loss of muscle mass and bit of weight gain in the name of healing.

I could really use any inspiration y’all have for real food ideas (I avoid packaged ‘blablabla-free’ stuff) that can help me make this reduced cal period a fun adventure in learning new foods.
    I’m somewhat limited in the kitchen because cooking on crutches isn’t super easy, but I’m scrappy and figure it out with the help of a rolling cart. ;)

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    @purplefizzy - This has been my last meal of the day for awhile now. Helps me up my protein intake and I sleep like a baby. The original recipe is upstream in this thread somewhere (around page 60, methinks).

If you have a blender you can make protein ice cream, one serving fills a giant mixing bowl.

60 ml sugar free maple syrup
    120 ml unsweetened almond milk
    30g protein powder (recommend chocolate or cookies n cream)
    Entire tray of ice cubes
    3g xanthan gum (add last)

Add everything to the blender except the xanthan gum and let it go on pulse or high for 2-3 minutes until your ice is completely crushed up and you see an ice cream texture. Then add the xanthan gum and go another 20-30 seconds or so on low. I've found that if you over mix the xanthan gum you will get more of a whipped texture than an ice cream texture.

Pour into your giant mixing bowl and squeal in excitement at how much ice cream you get to eat :D
    Top with more syrup and a few crushed up cookies or pb2.. whatever you have the calories for.

150-160 calories depending on PP used and toppings.

I've done with all almond milk when I was out of syrup. Works ok, but not as sweet. I usually use a sugar free vanilla syrup. I have been using chocolate protein powder,but I need to try it with some vanilla protein powder, too. Sometimes I add xanthan gum - sometimes I don't - it does make it more creamy, but it's fine without it, too.

The recipe makes a big bowl - too much for me - I only use 8 ice cubes - still makes a quart or so. Top as you like - I use chocolate syrup, chopped chocolate bars or chocolate chips.