Comfort Food Alternatives

I want to get ideas or a different take on comfort foods. I love southern and Mexican/Italian cuisine! So I need help in finding healthier alternatives to those. Thank you in advance

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Both Mexican and Italian foods are pretty easy to tweak to make healthy and lower calorie. For Italian pasta dishes, try substituting zoodles (zucchini noodles) or spaghetti squash for spaghetti, and eggplant or mushrooms instead of pasta in lasagna. Keep an eye on the cheese, which tends to be high calorie, and watch the oils you add. With Mexican food, more grilled stuff, less cheese and sauce, and modest portions of carbs.

Black bean, turkey, and pumpkin chili is a great comfort food! I also like mac and cheese with pumpkin subbed for part of the cheese, and about half veggies instead of noodles.
  • hmorse415
    hmorse415 Posts: 2 Member
    Taco salad vs Burrito fat bomb
    Lemon, Chili Lime Seasoning rocks
    Ground turkey.
    No rice, no tortillas or less of them
    Cauliflower or any added vegetables your favorite recipes to add bulk but not calories
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    When I am thinking about some of my comfort foods, first I try to establish if I am actually hungry or thirsty. In winter I have a good cup of coffee first, in summer some iced tea and usually I don't feel "hungry" any longer, just because I was thirsty. Sometimes I include some comfort food in my daily meal plan - but my biggest problem is still portion control.
  • mrsyarnlady8831
    mrsyarnlady8831 Posts: 17 Member
    I love lasagna and stuffed shells but hate the fat grams, so, my hack is to substitute fat free cottage cheese for the ricotta and omit egg yolks.
  • judypetutti
    judypetutti Posts: 4 Member
    Slices of sweet potato roasted with a little spray of oil, topped with shredded chicken breast simmered in broth and lime juice and mexican seasonings ( remove from liquid before shredding). Diced tomatoes, spring onion , 1.5 oz avocado. Sprinkle of cheese and dollop of natural yogurt. Hits the spot for me when I'm craving comfort foods
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Add more veggies like zucchini and tomato. Less cream and cheese. Use less oil. I often find that I can make a recipe with 1/2 - 3/4 the amount of oil called for.
  • NvrGivUpM8
    NvrGivUpM8 Posts: 78 Member
    Hi there, take a look into the Mediterranean Diet. Whilst is it not a diet it is more of a way of life. The foods are amazing and taste great! Check it out and give it a go. U should have no problems finding books on this topic.

Best of luck friend!!
  • bethbabick
    bethbabick Posts: 2 Member
    Not Mexican, but delish. I make lazy man casserole. Fill a buttered (lightly) casserole dish with chopped cabbage. In a separate bowl mix extra lean ground beef(1-2 lbs depending on how many your serving) with salt, pepper, 3 tbs of rice (1/4 cup for 2 lbs of beef) and 1/2 finely chopped onion (or a few good shakes of dehydrated onion if you want to be quick). Mix together and lay the meat mixture on top. Pour 1 can of tomato soup on top then 1can of water. You can add a can of diced tomatoes too. Perhaps add some of your preferred spices here. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for about an hour. The cabbage should be sweet and the sauce is so yummy. You can’t screw it up because it’s all to your preference or needs. Just adjust. It’s nice on a cold day and filling. Great leftovers too!
  • BSTLIFE84
    BSTLIFE84 Posts: 21 Member
    Sleep. I usually find when I’m looking for comfort food I need a nap! 😴
  • th7ra1pprzz8.jpeg

Thank goodness for Pinterest! And it came out like the picture!! 😋
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited February 2019
    A hearty soup.
    About 24 grams/serving mostly from the potatoes. I used less than a pound of potatoes and 8 ounces of sausage. Any spicy sausage will do. You can reduce or substitute for your needs.

Ingredients for 6 large portions:

1 tablespoon olive oil
    12 ounces Linguica sausage
    1 onion diced fine, plus a pinch of salt
    3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, sliced
    2 teaspoons salt, plus more as needed
    2 quarts chicken broth or water
    2 pounds kale, trimmed, chopped, washed and drained
    pinch of cayenne, optional

Right click and open in a new tab or window.
    Calo Verde
  • atgnat1
    atgnat1 Posts: 29 Member
    edited February 2019
    Nothing wrong with rice and beans.

Or carne guisada, that's simple to make and there's nothing actually 'bad' in it beyond a couple tablesppons of flour mixed into a giant pot. Ladle a scoop over rice and skip the tortilla.
  • LadyKatie_xo
    LadyKatie_xo Posts: 4 Member
    Amaretti cookies for something sweet. you can trade the sugar out for your sweetener of choice. Very fast to make, easy to shape and can be used a sandwich cookie. :smile:
  • Liamsm0m
    Liamsm0m Posts: 102 Member
    I live in the south with some amazing Tex Mex! Sometimes I just want those gooey cheese enchiladas! If you eat beans, taco soup topped with a bit of shredded cheese can take care of that fix. Or make enchiladas using deli cut chicken slices as tortillas with cheese inside and the red enchilada sauce.

I made roasted cherry tomatoes the other night. Each bite was a delicious burst of the freshest tasting tomato sauce - I didn’t miss the pasta. (But I’m not a pasta person anyway).