Jan 2019 group

Replies

• Thewaffle86
    Thewaffle86 Posts: 52 Member
    I just did W1 D2 yesterday and I can't believe how unfit I am but determined to do this. At what point did people do a real race? Did you wait until the end or do it from say week 6 to push yourself more?
  • BladeRun45
    BladeRun45 Posts: 23 Member
    Hi all! I've used C25K before in the past with great results. Back again.. up to W4D3 (on the treadmill). I signed up for a 5k for the middle/end of Feb. for motivation (ie. fear) :)
  • stoked2b
    stoked2b Posts: 136 Member
    I just did W1 D2 yesterday and I can't believe how unfit I am but determined to do this. At what point did people do a real race? Did you wait until the end or do it from say week 6 to push yourself more?

I've always felt like the W5D3 20 minute jog is a real milestone in this program. So personally I would wait until after week 6. Once you know you can do the 20,25 and 28 minute jogs, then doing 30-40 for a real 5K should be no different.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Just because you're doing a race doesn't mean you have to run the whole time, you can still use intervals.
  • stoked2b
    futmom wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone is having a problem syncing the app with MFP. I can't see to get it to link
    @futmom Which app are you using? I have the C25K by Zen Labs app (Orange icon) on iPhone. I haven't tried sync yet but can give it a try.

In other strangeness, in the MFP app if I enter an exercise as Cardio, then search for C25K Week 2 and enter the minutes, it tries to add but doesn't really add it to my diary. So I've been logging week 2 as week 3 with 31 minutes instead of 28.

• kirstyfoy
    kirstyfoy Posts: 139 Member
    @Fightingthefat2019 my race is in April. I booked it before starting the app. However I just signed up for park run which I'll do one I've completed the app x
  • frannie_h20
    frannie_h20 Posts: 26 Member
    Still feeling grotty so week 2 still on hold...
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,650 Member
    How's everyone getting on?
    I did Week 3 day 1 this morning, felt soooo good to be running for 3 minutes at a time again lol.
  • kirstyfoy
    kirstyfoy Posts: 139 Member
    I've finished! But ran my first 5k this morning. Took me 42 minutes x
  • stoked2b
    I just hit week 5. However, I know that W5D3 is the 20 minute run. So I looked at it and thought 15 minutes total of running isn't enough. So I skipped ahead to the W6D1 workout and did run 5, walk 3, run 8, walk 3, run 5. That 8 minute run was tough but I did it - and it was the longest run I've done in 5 years. Progress!
  • stoked2b
    Today is 60 degrees (F) and will be much colder the rest of the week. So today was the day. I started up Week 5 Day 3, put on some good tunes, and went. I didn't look at the time but when I heard "you are halfway" I knew I still had 10 minutes left for running. I checked my fitbit heart rate and was way too high and slowed it down. Before I knew it I had made the full 20 minutes. Now that's over with I feel like I'm ready to take on Weeks 6, 7, and 8. BRING IT ON
  • eleanorhawkins
    stoked2b wrote: »
    Today is 60 degrees (F) and will be much colder the rest of the week. So today was the day. I started up Week 5 Day 3, put on some good tunes, and went. I didn't look at the time but when I heard "you are halfway" I knew I still had 10 minutes left for running. I checked my fitbit heart rate and was way too high and slowed it down. Before I knew it I had made the full 20 minutes. Now that's over with I feel like I'm ready to take on Weeks 6, 7, and 8. BRING IT ON

Awesome feeling, isn't it!

I did W4D1 this morning, felt so great to be running again, even my Fitbit actually agreed I was running (the first 3 weeks it registered all the workouts as walks lol)
  • stoked2b
    Currently on W7D1 and still going strong!
  • fjsutton
    fjsutton Posts: 60 Member
    ✅C25K Day 1 complete
    Treadmill: walks at 3.0 runs at 4.0
    Felt very good. Almost too easy. I encouraged myself to start slow and show up tomorrow vs. come out the gate flying and not finish week 1!

Q/A: there are 3 runs for each week — I’m thinking i don’t want to skip tomorrow will be soo much easier to skip Wednesday... does anyone else still walk/run in between ‘official’ workout days. Is it recommended to repeat the previous day?
  • stoked2b
    I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. C25K week 1 days 1,2,3 are all the same workout. So you're repeating three days with a rest day in between. However, if due to weather or temperatures you think Mon/Tues/Thurs will work better than Mon/Wed/Fri then go for it. A mandatory rest day probably won't matter much until you get to weeks 3 or 4. And I think you might be allowed to walk on rest days but don't overdo it and definitely don't run.

I usually look at the week forecast and plan accordingly. I start on Mondays and have done Mon/Wed/Fri and also Mon/Thurs/Sat due to weather.

Good luck on the journey!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    fjsutton wrote: »
    ✅C25K Day 1 complete
    Felt very good. Almost too easy. I encouraged myself to start slow and show up tomorrow vs. come out the gate flying and not finish week 1!

Q/A: there are 3 runs for each week — I’m thinking i don’t want to skip tomorrow will be soo much easier to skip Wednesday... does anyone else still walk/run in between ‘official’ workout days. Is it recommended to repeat the previous day?

I wouldn't skip the rest days and run consecutive days as a newbie.

Follow the plan as designed.

Walking or other cross training on non running days is ok.
  • eleanorhawkins
    fjsutton wrote: »
    ✅C25K Day 1 complete

I wouldn't skip the rest days and run consecutive days as a newbie.

Follow the plan as designed.

Walking or other cross training on non running days is ok.

^^^this
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Aine8046 wrote: »

Same here (or at least similar). Repeat it for the fourth time in 5 years. I start every spring (~Feb) and run till October. When it get cold and dark I stop it for ~3-4 months and restart next year :)

Just did W5 D2 - ready for the 20 min run later this week! :)
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Just because you're doing a race doesn't mean you have to run the whole time, you can still use intervals.

Agreed. I remember I did a race I was not ready for - so I just did my c25k thing: 8 min running, 5 min walking, repeat. It was fun anyway! :)
  • stoked2b
    edited February 2019
    I graduated today W8D3 by running 32 minutes straight. I wanted to go a full 3 miles but ran out of energy with less than a half mile to go. Now I know what to work on before upcoming 5K on the 23rd