My Turn!

sgriska
sgriska Posts: 109 Member
k01wh0jgj8va.jpeg
5nirryn754zs.jpeg
I’ve been fighting my weight since puberty. My first big weight loss was on the Cambridge Diet (kind of a proto-Slim Fast pyramid scheme) back in the early 80s. I was 16 years old, and managed to get down to 140 from a high of about 180, and managed to squeeze into a size 12 (nowadays, a size 6). Dipped maybe ten pounds lower for a couple of weeks, but never did manage to get down into the 10s and 8s my friends were wearing. And by the time I got to college, the weight was back again. Junior year, Spring semester, I completely stopped eating and lived on Diet Jolt (which briefly was a thing) for I’m thinking about six weeks, and got back down to 140ish again, but by graduation I had yoyo’d up to 200. So, I joined Weight Watchers when I was in grad school, but dropped out before reaching my goal (I believe somewhere in the mid 160s). Up to around 250 by my early thirties, when I starved myself again back down to about 170, then back up to 300 or so in my early 40s. Dieted down to around 175 in my late 40s, and by my start date with MFP in October 2017, I was back up to 285. And now, a year and a quarter later, I’m all the way back down to my healthy starting weight, the first time I’ve actually hit goal since I was sixteen years old.

This is the END of the rollercoaster, because my attitude has completely changed. Every other “diet” I was just waiting to get low enough I could “eat like a normal person”, but I had no bloody idea what my actual maintenance caloric level was, so “like a normal person” to me meant “eat whatever you want whenever you want,” and the cycle would start again. I’d start not looking at the scale for longer and longer, and before you’d know it I was huge again. And the health issues just keep piling on — hypertension, diabetes, kidney disease...

But there’s the key for me — I’ve decided to approach my obesity as a chronic disease that will need a lifetime’s management, just like all the conditions its caused. Right now, it’s in remission, and I intend to keep it that way. Between MFP and Fitbit, I have all the tools I need to maintain my weight for the rest of my life. Maintenance is really no different than weight loss — same habits, just slightly bigger numbers.

I’m very optimistic for the future, and feel a world better than I did in forever.

Replies

• justlosingit4
    justlosingit4 Posts: 22 Member
    I love this post! You go girl!
  • seaturtle7
    seaturtle7 Posts: 10 Member
    You look fabulous! 💃🏻💃🏻
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    What an incredible story! You look fantastic. Thanks for sharing. (And I love your top).
  • reboot1818
    reboot1818 Posts: 13 Member
    I am so impressed. Great job!
  • 13ecca4
    13ecca4 Posts: 202 Member
    Wow!
    Such an incredible transformation and your story is so inspiring a relatable. I am also a yoyo dieter. Anything between 172 and 304!
    It’s amazing how many success stories are on here with just MFP and a fit bit.
    You should be so proud of yourself!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    There is a lot to learn from your story. Thank you!
  • sdewey415
    sdewey415 Posts: 93 Member
    First, congrats on making it! Second, I love your top!!! Yoyoing is something I known for, I have a mildly similar story. I did weight watchers when I was a 17(doctor approved) and ended up falling out of it. In college I put the pounds back on and then back off. It's, as you put it, been a roller coaster. I have been more dedicated in the begging this time and hope that with inspiration like yourself, I make it to my goal. Thank you for being you and showing me that it is possible!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    WOW - you look amazing!
  • trailjunkey
    trailjunkey Posts: 5 Member
    Wow! Way to Go! Definitely is "Your Turn". Just Awesome!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    The best part is that you fought for your life and won :D
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Wow! Congrats! Your story is inspiring. :smiley:
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    You have a great story to share and you look fantastic!
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,276 Member
    Amazing story!!! Thank you for sharing it, and being such an inspiration!
  • YadaYadaYada64
    YadaYadaYada64 Posts: 50 Member
    One of my favorite success stories! We’re around the same age, you are incredibly inspiring! What an accomplishment.
  • sgriska
    sgriska Posts: 109 Member
    One of my favorite success stories! We’re around the same age, you are incredibly inspiring! What an accomplishment.
    Thanks so much, YadaYadaYada64! And everybody else. The support folks give in these forums is so, so valuable!
  • MomtoFran
    MomtoFran Posts: 11 Member
    This is such an amazing accomplishment!!! You should be very proud of yourself. You are very beautiful!!
  • daklock
    daklock Posts: 54 Member
    You look fantastic. Congratulations
  • tattoomary
    tattoomary Posts: 44 Member
    WOW. That is all, just WOW
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!