To those that don't drink alcohol...

Replies

• jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    O.K. I was a bit crazy in highschool. my parents were the type that said " if you want to drink, do it at home". One time my dad caught me and he decided to drink with me and mom. Well, lets say after 4 bottles of wine, I was hugging the toilet and my mom was pissed at him. His thinking was... you think drinking is so cool, let's show you the ugly of drinking. So, after that, I turned into the 2-3 drinker. 2-3 mix drinks and I am done. In our house a 6 pack of beer lasts 6 months. My parents are heavy drinkers, and were bar flys back in the day. I never liked the out of control feeling. so, if I want a cocktail, I have one. but I never ever got as drunk as I did with my dad. I hate the taste of beer. I like fruity drinks.

So, that's my story.
  • wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    I have never been drunk or even buzzed my whole entire life. All my sisters did my drinking for me. Never touched an illegal drug, but I have eaten my fair share of Twinkies in my lifetime.
  • kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Strictly for weightloss! I have had roughly 5 drinks for nearly a whole year! At first it absolutely killed me! But it was all worth it, as I have lost 22kgs and have rewarded myself with a trip around Europe in three weeks time where i will begin drinking again haha woohoo!!!
  • Wisconsin is such a horrific binge drinking state... college ruined me *LOL*

(yes, i just blamed the state and college... I'm well aware)

wisconsin is the effing worst. I'm from MN.. Moved to WI for college. Worst drinkers in the country...

That's actually no joke... this state is DRUNK.

Im from wisconsin :) haha so true
  • Marie92281
    Marie92281 Posts: 194 Member
    I don't like the taste! Plus when I was younger I grew up around it and it turned me off of it
  • Chance42
    Chance42 Posts: 5 Member
    Fun thread, thanks for posting it. I'd love "official" MFP stats, but I would have to believe that any of us willing to log the minute details of our food, would have certain qualities that makes us just as mindful of alcohol consumption. That being said, it's mental health for me. I'm personally riding the benefits of daily abstainance since I was 18 (over 29 years) with a support group & great family so I don't have to worry about the category in my log or the absolute daily insanity that came with my active addiction.

Frankly, MFP is it's own little daily affirmation for me; thanks for making me realize that. :-)

- Chance
  • Honeybee511
    Honeybee511 Posts: 97 Member
    I don't drink due to the fact that alcoholism runs in my family and I do not want to repeat history. I see what it can do to someone. I mean, I will have one fancy (fruity) drink every once in a blue moon, but that's about it. I also don't like being hungover and not having full control of my own body.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    I hate cake... and brownies... and love beer and wine. I'm doomed *LOL*

Hanna, that's totally interesting! Thanks for sharing, I'd never heard of that and love medical mysteries....

I think being broke is the best thing in the world for my diet - booze included :) hehe!

I love alcohol..... and cake...... But I have stopped drinking almost entirely while I've been losing weight - I expect to drink again when I am in maintenance. I do very occasionally budget myself a glass of wine or beer but for the most part because I am working out I can't afford those more or less empty calories and still stay within my budget. My body needs so much protein for muscle recovery (not based on any special formula, just my own observation) so that I can workout every day which I prefer, and I personally need to eat a certain amount of starchy carbs or else I feel hungry and unsatisfied. Its not a huge amount but between that stuff my daily calorie limit is basically blown.

In maintenance I'm going to get to eat 500-800 additional calores per day so a glass of wine (or two...or three) will be easy peasy.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    you would think that by age 40, there wouldn't be peer pressure. but all my girlfriends love a glass of wine or two, and are convinced that if they keep giving it to me, I will drink it. I had gingerale in my wine glass at my wedding, and only occasionally have a drink or two, and most recently, i make sure it is on a work out day, and it's woody's 99 calorie coolers if i have anything at all! my girlfriends just shake their heads. I say, i don't like wine. they say, what's not to like?

That would irritate me to no end. What's it to them if you don't want wine? sheesh.
    so, umm, more for me...yes?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    you would think that by age 40, there wouldn't be peer pressure. but all my girlfriends love a glass of wine or two, and are convinced that if they keep giving it to me, I will drink it. I had gingerale in my wine glass at my wedding, and only occasionally have a drink or two, and most recently, i make sure it is on a work out day, and it's woody's 99 calorie coolers if i have anything at all! my girlfriends just shake their heads. I say, i don't like wine. they say, what's not to like?

That would irritate me to no end. What's it to them if you don't want wine? sheesh.
    so, umm, more for me...yes?

More for "us" silly...
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    I don't drink at all, mainly for religious reasons, but it is really a personal choice that I have made.
    Yes sometimes it has been tempting but there are things I never have to worry about. Seriously, with what I have been through in my life, if I was a drinker I would probably be an alcoholic.
    I remember once some friends discussing whether or not you should take the breathalizer test if pulled over by a cop. The conversation was all about "blowing" vs not "blowing" and the related consequences. I am glad that I will never have to make that decision because I decided long ago to not drink.
    I am really grateful for the counsel I have been given not to drink. It has really blessed my life.

Please don't take this as being judgmental. I have lots of friends who drink and I love them a lot. These are my personal reasons.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Something to do occasionally. I don't drink during the week at all really but if I'm going to some sort of event on the weekend then I will normally have a few. I always make sure they are the low cal ones (which helps as I prefer spirits and diet mixers generally anyway)

BTW I lose a heap of weight a few years back (about 60lbs) while still being a pretty big weekend binge drinker :tongue:

Also,
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

and

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny/a_muscleheads_guide_to_alcohol_1

In saying that, if you don't want to drink then don't drink :smile:

I just make sure that I have high protein and low fat/carbs on drinking days and make sure I move around a bit to burn some cals :smile:
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    I have had very few drinks in my life time. When I found out I was pregnant that was the end for me. My moms mom was an alcoholic, my dads step dad was one, and my husband was one, enough is enough. Mt grandmas liver turned to leather, my grandpa was just an *kitten*. MY husband had his choice of his son and me and he picked us YAY!! someone had to be responsible. And yes they are stinky and annoying. And its so very sad. My kids are 27 and 23 and they need a role model
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    i totally agree with barbiex3...i would rather have a brownie.

i hate the taste,smell & the way it makes me feel and i hate the smell of it on those around me., i have nothing good to say abt it.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    I get no joy out of drinking alcohol. Besides the fact that most of it tastes horrid to me. It has no place in my life.
  • mrselbow
    mrselbow Posts: 27 Member
    It's too expensive, I hate being hung over, it's hard on the body, and I'm naturally happy and "high" on life. No need for booze.

All of these things! :) I just don't have a need for it and am happy without it. I've never had a desire to drink much and because I've never started, I don't have anything to stop! It's just not a tempting/desireable thing for me :)
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    The taste of alcohol is repulsive to me. I can taste even trace amounts of it ("You can't even taste it!"...bull, I can). Just never been a fan. Don't even like rum cake.

I also don't like how it affects certain people...or how certain people let it affect them and their behavior.

And then people trying to pressure you or 'trick' you into drinking...even more annoying. And then the crowd that 'respects' you for not drinking. It's not like it's some big choice for me. If it doesn't taste good, I'm not going to eat/drink it.
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    I don't drink alcohol because I can't. I'm Korean and in some Asian genetics there is a deficiency that doesn't allow my body to properly process alcohol and it makes me very ill when I do. I don't know if there's an actual name for it but it can be known as Asian flush. Google it. So anyway, that's why I don't drink. It has nothing to do with weight loss or addiction or personal choice.

My husband is from the Philippines and whenever he drink beer his face gets really red....it only takes one beer...we just say he is allergic:bigsmile:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    I don't drink at all, mainly for religious reasons, but it is really a personal choice that I have made.
    Yes sometimes it has been tempting but there are things I never have to worry about. Seriously, with what I have been through in my life, if I was a drinker I would probably be an alcoholic.
    I remember once some friends discussing whether or not you should take the breathalizer test if pulled over by a cop. The conversation was all about "blowing" vs not "blowing" and the related consequences. I am glad that I will never have to make that decision because I decided long ago to not drink.
    I am really grateful for the counsel I have been given not to drink. It has really blessed my life.

Please don't take this as being judgmental. I have lots of friends who drink and I love them a lot. These are my personal reasons.

You werent judgemental at all! That is your choice and you should be VERY proud of that. I don't believe in giving people grief for intelligent decisions :wink:
  • namrettik
    namrettik Posts: 127
    I just rarely feel like drinking. Once every two or three months (sometimes more), I'll just go, "yeah, I'm gonna get drunk," and stay home and drink too much wine. And then my internal I-Want-Alcohol clock resets. *shrug*