Difficulty running

Doctor says it's because I don't drink enough water, but upon drinking water, it became worse.

* Problems that occur:
-pain in abdominal area
-don't vomit upon overexertion, but have overwhelming need to go to the bathroom (even if I've already "emptied" myself on the loo before)

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    discribe difficulty?
    and how much water are you drinking and how close to the runs are you drinking the water?
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    What exact problems are you having?
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    try couch 2 5k. it turned me into a runner at 200 pounds
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member

I started at 275 pounds! Took me almost 3 weeks to move on to week 2, but stick at it and you WILL get there.

My best advice? Get some proper running shoes - get fitted at a sports store and tell them that you'll be interval training so you get the right support. Oh, and push yourself, but don't hurt yourself.
  • Good idea. I've never thought my shoes could be the problem. I don't have any real running shoes. Any stores to recommend?
  • EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    abdominal pain is fine... don't drink water RIIIGHt before u go running because it will give u cramps.. dont eat anything 30min before a run... feeling like u need to vomit is fine as its ur body just not used to the excersise and u just push through it.. puke if u have to lol.. now if you need to go to the loo.. make check points... lets say i have a fast food joint about 15min run from you... run to it. use the loo(DONT LOOK AT THE FOOD) get a bottle of water drink a bit n continue to ur next checkpoint..
  • Google 'runners trots'. It is a very common issue, and many people can make modifications to reduce or eliminate (um, no pun intended) the problem. While your digestive problems have nothing to do with your shoes, you are well advised to get a proper fitting. See if there is a Fleet Feet Sports in your area. Good luck and keep running;)
  • wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    Find shoes that have strong support for the inner shoe. It helps with 'Pronation', where your feet bend in. This causes shin splints, which hurt pretty good.
  • sara4cos
    sara4cos Posts: 11
    Use to have the same problem. It is all in your breathing, If you are not breathing properly you are going to cramp.

Focus on longer, deeper breaths.
    Breath more from your diaphragm (belly) than your chest (chest breathing is more shallow).
    Focus on exhaling more fully. This will remove more CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) and allow for deeper inhalations of O2 (Oxygen).
    Allow air to enter through both the nose and mouth. This will allow for maximum O2 intake.
    Aim to take three footsteps for every inhale, and two footsteps for every exhale (3:2 ratio).
  • aethompson5507
    aethompson5507 Posts: 251 Member

I started at 275 pounds! Took me almost 3 weeks to move on to week 2, but stick at it and you WILL get there.

My best advice? Get some proper running shoes - get fitted at a sports store and tell them that you'll be interval training so you get the right support. Oh, and push yourself, but don't hurt yourself.

what is this that your talking about? couch 2 5k? sounds inspirational :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Couch to 5k (C25K) is a program that can get you running! It uses walking andcrunning intervals to gradually increase your endurance. I'm definitely a fan - I started in January at 202 pounds and couldn't run for 6 x 1min intervals and now I'm 44 pounds lighter and can run 12km or more.

To the OP, you have lots of good advice here so I'm just going to add one thing - slow down!
    It might help to run a bit slower and to focus on good control of your breathing.
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    and how much water are you drinking and how close to the runs are you drinking the water?

The answer to this could explain a lot. You need to be hydrated throughout the day. You can't just load up on water right before you run and expect to be 'hydrated'.