DASH Diet thread

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2019
    I'm like Novus. I tend to eat the same veg over and over, but I like quite a few different veg so I figure I cover most of my nutritional bases. Lately I've been focusing on making sure I rotate through my favorites more often AND get more variety each day.

I don't get much variety when it comes to fruit this time of year. I like frozen raspberries in my yogurt, and that's pretty much it. I know tomatoes are fruit, but I count them as veg. I eat those all the time. Having some roasted cherry tomatoes and mushrooms along with braised collards tossed with chickpea pasta for dinner tonight.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    This isn't specifically DASH related, but I was just very unexpectedly gifted a brand new Instant Pot and I'm so freakin' excited! I also have absolutely no idea what to do with it LOL!

I wonder if I can use it to make dried beans? Maybe something with veggies too? Off to google :D
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    This isn't specifically DASH related, but I was just very unexpectedly gifted a brand new Instant Pot and I'm so freakin' excited! I also have absolutely no idea what to do with it LOL!

I wonder if I can use it to make dried beans? Maybe something with veggies too? Off to google :D

Yep. I just started playing with mine (I got it and then never remembered to learn to use it on a weekend when I had time) and decided doing DASH and focusing more on beans would be a good time to use it.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Nice gift!!! Exciting!
  • emmamcgarity
    Fruit -- 6
    Veg -- 4
    Dairy -- 2
    Whole grains - 3
    Meat -- 8!oz
    Added fat -- 2
    Nuts and seeds -- 0
    Added sugar - yes
  • zeejane03
    edited February 2019
    Fruit -- 3
    Veg -- 8.5
    Dairy -- 1.5
    Whole Grains & Beans- 6 (incl. 1 serving of beans)
    Meat (oz) -- 3oz shrimp
    Added fat --
    Nuts and seeds --
    Added sugar -- yes: teriyaki sauce

Fiber: 35g

Day two of tracking on cron. and did even worse with magnesium and potassium today :p

I always thought I ate a lot of dairy, but now realize when I'm trying to lose weight I cut way down on it because it's an easy way for me to save on calories. My dairy intake will most likely continue to be lower until I wrap up this short weight loss phase I'm in (5ish pounds to go).
  • lemurcat2
    For some reason magnesium hasn't been an issue for me, although I'm usually barely hitting the potassium and calcium. I have no idea what magnesium is so should check (which is one of the really cool information things about cron). I've also not been meeting the dairy goals -- I think I eat a lot, because I have it most days, and often at more than one meal, but the amounts I have are more like half a serving.

Plumbing work is currently going on, I cannot wait until it's done and I can use my kitchen (and everything else) properly again.
  • zeejane03
    Well after I planned out the day so well and was on track-until I got hit with PMS cravings big time :p Normally they're not too bad but yikes, this afternoon/evening was a train wreck and I made the decision to just roll with it. Ending the day above maintenance calories but in the scheme of things it's just one day. And even in the extra eating I still thought of DASH and tried to make 'better' choices-well except for the Little Debbie Swiss Rolls lol.

Tomorrow I'll be back at it, we're supposed to get some nasty icing overnight so if I lose power I won't be on for a bit. It's supposed to hit hard early morning and then thaw out by early afternoon. And then again on Thursday-Friday. I'm so sick of winter!!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited February 2019
    My plan today was to just get through the day too. I ate something that didn't quite agree with me and I have been unsettled (to put it nicely) since late afternoon yesterday. It is a little irritating because tomorrow is my normal meatless day but I am sure I want to take it easy on the fiber (so no beans) and so my routine will be interrupted again. I have a schedule and for some reason this year I am constantly adjusting it. I have not had one week that has been routine yet and on work days I really benefit from being a creature of habit.

I did get in my extra serving of fruit again today so not a total bust for progress.

• emmamcgarity
    Tuesday’s are my night out with my girls at Panera. Much yumminess and had my planned for cookie. Too much sodium and sugar for DASH but an otherwise good day with leftover pork and acorn squash in my lunchbox at work. I am still in weight loss mode. The scale seems to be moving the right direction. Hoping to get rid of this one last holiday pound soon..
  • zeejane03
    We've lost power on and off all morning so we'll see how the rest of the day goes. I was packing up fridge food to head over to my in-laws when it came on the last time, what a pain in the bum!

Woke up feeling back to normal again, so should be a good DASH day (unless we lose power again and we end up at McDs for lunch :p ).

• zeejane03
    Fruit -- 1
    Veg -- 5
    Dairy -- 2.5
    Whole Grains & Beans- 4
    Meat (oz) -- 3oz shrimp
    Added fat -- olives; 2tbs regular ranch dressing
    Nuts and seeds --
    Added sugar -- yes: fat free Catalina dressing
  • emmamcgarity
    Fruit -- 6
    Veg -- 4
    Dairy -- 1
    Whole Grains - 2
    Meat (oz) -- 5 oz
    Added fat -- 2+ (oil from chicken nuggets from chick fil a)
    Nuts and seeds --1 (chocolate covered almonds from kid fundraiser)
    Added sugar -- yes

Amazingly I did not go over on calories...
  • lemurcat2
    edited February 2019
    Using the Oregon spreadsheet with my modifications as explained above:

Fruit -- 3-4 servings: 4.5 (apple, rhubarb, strawberries, avocado)
    Veg -- 4+ servings: 10.5 servings
    Dairy -- 2-3 servings: 2 servings
    Whole grains, beans, etc. -- 2.5 servings
    Meat -- 3-6 oz: 4 oz
    Nuts and seeds -- 1-2 servings (28 g/serving): 0.5 serving

Fiber at 42.4, omega-3 to omega-6 ratio good, protein 91, which is good, vitamins low on only D, which I supplement, minerals 98% on calcium and 89% iron but hit the rest. Cals 1645 so on point.
  • zeejane03
    We've had power on and off since yesterday and more nasty weather to come today-tomorrow. I may not be around for a few days, but I'm still DASH'ing :)
  • emmamcgarity
    Good luck with the weather! It’s starting to look dreary out here in the south too...
  • zeejane03
    Good luck with the weather! It’s starting to look dreary out here in the south too...

So far it's stayed on today, though ice is falling off the trees like crazy as we get a few hours of warmer temps this afternoon, before it drops again (and then the wind and snow will come blech).

I spent some time doing freezer inventory today and I went through my small deep freezer-realized I have over 10 bags of riced cauliflower, don't even remember buying them.... :o So, I had riced cauliflower for lunch today lol, along with stir fry veggies and more shrimp (I probably shouldn't be eating it every day but it's so easy to throw into things and it has good protein for lower calories). I did 1 cup of the cauliflower so I counted it as two veggie servings, and then skipped my usual white ricel- I need to start doing this more!
  • emmamcgarity
    I am doing roasted cauliflower tonight with pork loin. I also have several bags of frozen rices cauliflower. It’s a great sub for rice when I want to lower the calories
  • lemurcat2
    Weird day, I wasn't really hungry and wonder if I'm getting sick. Didn't log, but had about 3 servings of fruit, 5 servings of veg, a serving of dairy, and serving of nuts, and no grains or legumes -- likely not great on fiber or calcium. Had lots of coffee so that helps with potassium.
  • emmamcgarity
    Fruit 6
    Veggie 6
    Dairy 2
    Whole grain 1
    Oil 0.5
    Meat 5 oz

Overall a good day. On point in calories. Outing with a friend tomorrow likely not to be DASH friendly