Ladies who have lifted during pregnancy ...

I know I know, ask my doctor. I will. but doctors don't really seem to have specific workout advice. I'm just kind of looking for general ideas on what types of things you did. I lifted before I got pregnant but I only worked out at home using a barbell/plates and i just don't think I feel comfortable with that right now. I had been following Bret Contreras programming before I got pregnant. I was thinking more along the lines of dumbbells. What did you do if you've lifted while pregnant? I am not looking to really change my physique or anything obviously at this point, more like maintain my strength and stay healthy. I just entered the 2nd trimester, so I'm over all the 1st trimester grossness.

Replies

• ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 336 Member
    I lifted while I was pregnant. I didn't go for any new personal records or anything, but I used a weight for each specific lift that I could manage a full set of with minimal fatigue at the end. I would just be careful about any lifting involving lying down or in that position because of the additional stress baby making puts on your back. There is a book out there that had some pretty good information too:
    The Pregnant Athlete: How to Stay in Your Best Shape Ever--Before, During, and After Pregnancy
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    My doctor told me that I ok to continue with what I had been doing but not work on increasing weight. Switching to dumbbells is very reasonable. Be aware that's it's fairly common for pregnant lifters to experience a little spotting during/immediately after working out. As long as it is just a little spotting, you are almost certainly fine but of course always check in with your doctor if you are concerned.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I messaged you.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I messaged you.

I don't have any messages from you haha :/

• quiksylver296
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I messaged you.

I don't have any messages from you haha :/

Weird. I sent it. Let me try again. Sometimes they don't go through unless people are MFP friends. Let me send you a FR, then resend.
  • quiksylver296
    Did it work now, @hesn92 ?
  • hesn92
    No lol! How weird! Thank you for trying
  • quiksylver296

I put it on your newsfeed.

Grrr.
  • hesn92

I put it on your newsfeed.

Grrr.

I got it now! How strange. Thanks again!
  • quiksylver296
    For everyone wondering, it was just an IG to follow. Didn't want to violate TOS.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    I lifted most of this pregnancy (and the previous 3). I did drop the weight on squats and stopped flat benching around 16 weeks.
    I deadlifted, back squatted, incline bench pressed, and over head pressed (along with accessory work) until about 35 weeks.

My body was just over it by then.

Just listen to your body, talk to your doc if you have concerns, and don’t try anything new or awkward.
    Btw- Congrats!!!

• hesn92
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I did but I really dialed it back and listened to my body. First tri was a wash because I was so sick and weak.

These are the recommendations I found (some of these you can find from a chapter in Strong Curves)

-If you were doing it before you were pregnant and you don't have any complications according to your doctor/OB you should be able continue the activities during pregnancy (with modifications as time goes on).
    -Safety first – listen to your body - If any exercise starts to cause discomfort, stop immediately (I had to stop doing quite a few exercises because they just felt off, this is different for everyone), also stay hydrated and take breaks as needed
    -Don’t lift too heavy – less than 70% of 1RM (for me I was doing way less than that)
    -Using higher repetitions at lower weight as opposed to low reps with heavier weight (I stayed around 10-12 reps for most exercises)
    -Avoid exercises lying on your back (especially after first trimester)
    -Limit direct ab work and excessive hip and waist flexing movements
    -Ligaments are a lot looser during pregnancy and balance may be off so use caution

Did you do hip thrusts when you were pregnant? I have not done them so far but I was thinking of trying them with the smith machine. It seems safer that way since there's no way for it to roll into my belly? I don't know. lol. I'm a little overly cautious I think.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I did but I really dialed it back and listened to my body. First tri was a wash because I was so sick and weak.

These are the recommendations I found (some of these you can find from a chapter in Strong Curves)

-If you were doing it before you were pregnant and you don't have any complications according to your doctor/OB you should be able continue the activities during pregnancy (with modifications as time goes on).
    -Safety first – listen to your body - If any exercise starts to cause discomfort, stop immediately (I had to stop doing quite a few exercises because they just felt off, this is different for everyone), also stay hydrated and take breaks as needed
    -Don’t lift too heavy – less than 70% of 1RM (for me I was doing way less than that)
    -Using higher repetitions at lower weight as opposed to low reps with heavier weight (I stayed around 10-12 reps for most exercises)
    -Avoid exercises lying on your back (especially after first trimester)
    -Limit direct ab work and excessive hip and waist flexing movements
    -Ligaments are a lot looser during pregnancy and balance may be off so use caution

Did you do hip thrusts when you were pregnant? I have not done them so far but I was thinking of trying them with the smith machine. It seems safer that way since there's no way for it to roll into my belly? I don't know. lol. I'm a little overly cautious I think.

Bret has a video about hip thrusting and pregnancy but honestly I didn't feel comfortable doing them even with the bar in that position. I am also the Queen of overly cautious so right there with you!

What I did do was banded hip thrusts, those felt great and did not put any pressure on my belly.

Next time around I am going to do more experimenting. We'll see