favorite way to make chicken salad?

hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
What is your favorite way to make chicken salad? I decided I'm going to cook chicken in the instant pot and make some chicken salad for my weeks worth of lunches. I normally go the pickle relish route but looking for some different ideas.

Replies

• AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Following- but also- interested in what people eat w/ the chicken salad? Crackers, as a sandwich, pita, plain...?
  • kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    I use plain greek yogurt, celery, red apple, and lemon pepper.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    Halved grapes, slivered almonds., curry powder, and a little yogurt, mayo, or mix of both.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    Halved grapes, slivered almonds., curry powder, and a little yogurt, mayo, or mix of both.

This is very similar to coronation chicken.
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6080/instant-coronation-chicken
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    salt, pepper, garlic and a bit of mayo or sour cream - pretty much always

sometimes basil and tarragon and gold raisins (this is a sweet salad)

sometimes tumeric and cumin (this is a spicy grilled salad)

sometimes paprika and dill pickles (more tangy with a bit of bite)

I usually eat it over lettuce or spinach...sometimes just plain with a fork...sometimes as a dip with celery or cucumbers or carrots...
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Either mayo, almonds, raisins and curry powder or plain Greek yogurt, ranch seasoning, bleu cheese, chopped celery and hot sauce for Buffalo style.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I made chicken salad yesterday. I grilled a whole chicken Sunday and used what was left over for the chicken salad.

Added 2 boiled eggs, celery, lite mayo (just enough to hold it together, don't like it to mayoie), white pepper, black pepper and red pepper flakes (cause I like a little kick).
  • gt0186b
    gt0186b Posts: 78 Member
    White grapes, chopped pecans and granny smith apples diced and a little salt. I usually just use store bought mayo but to make a killer chicken salad make your own mayo using olive oil. I has a different taste but works really well with the chicken salad.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    I keep it simple. Cooked chicken, homemade mayonnaise (lets me control the sodium), mustard, chopped onion and a bit of hot sauce.
  • back2happy2005
    back2happy2005 Posts: 108 Member
    chicken
    miracle whip
    walnuts
    dried cranberries
    celery
    grapes and apples if i have them.
  • TynaBaby17
    TynaBaby17 Posts: 56 Member
    We have an instant pot but I haven't learned to use it yet haha

I bake the chicken in the over still, my favorite is lemon pepper! And you can buy the seasoning pre mixed or just put lemon slices/zest and regular pepper on the chicken and a little olive oil!
    Shred it and mix with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and carrots!
    And then here in New Mexico we have a restaurant called Dions, sells pizza and salad, but they make the BEST Greek dressing in the world, so I do 2 tbsp of that and then put it in a big tupperware and shake it all together!

One of my favorite lunches to eat X3 Low cal, high protein and veggies! I don't really like bread products or cheese on salads cause it gets soggy and gross XP (not to say I don't love bread and cheese in general tho...haha)
  • judypetutti
    judypetutti Posts: 4 Member
    Diced chicken, low fat, mayo, plain yogurt, celery, spring onion, dill, onion powder, garlic powder, corn kernels. Some well cooked Turkey bacon crumbled on the top.
  • MelissaThe1st
    MelissaThe1st Posts: 240 Member
    celery, red onion, Just Mayo sriracha
  • hesn92
    edited February 2019
    AmyC2288 wrote: »
    Following- but also- interested in what people eat w/ the chicken salad? Crackers, as a sandwich, pita, plain...?

I either eat in on bread like a sandwich or I put it on lettuce and eat it as a salad. Sometimes on crackers if it's just a snack and I don't want to eat a whole lot. Last night I just ate it with a fork lol
  • MsCheeseFries
    MsCheeseFries Posts: 2 Member
    I put a whole chicken in the oven or buy a done rotisserie one from the grocery store. Take the skin off, pull it apart and add mayo, red grapes, and walnuts. Usually just salt and pepper. I like to eat it plain with no bread, in half a pita pocket, or on toasted 647 bread! I do occasionally actually eat it over a salad and add tomatoes.
  • mcee1
    mcee1 Posts: 3,534 Member
    Diced cooked chicken breast (or even a can of drained chicken breast could work), 2 stalks thin sliced celery, diced red onion, 1/2 diced green apple, 1/4c drained pineapple tidbits, salt, pepper. Stir in 2Tabl 0%Fage and 1Tabl. light mayo.

Serve on bed of lettuce or in a low cal wrap
  • Strange_Fire
    Strange_Fire Posts: 30 Member
    Halved grapes, red onion, easy on the mayo :)
  • hesn92
    I really wanted to go the franks hot sauce route but my bottle in the fridge was way outdated lol. I need to go buy some
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I like to bake chicken breasts pretty much swimming in lemon juice and once done shred them, then mix in lemon pepper seasoning, diced up apples (an apple type with a lot of flavor, I like using either honey crisp or Granny Smith), and use cool whip (fat free actually ends up being a little easier to mix in) instead of mayo