WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2019

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,285 Member
    Rebecca - beautiful snow! It started falling here around 1:30.

I had an early lunch in town this morning with a girlfriend, so hit Walmart at 9. WOW, long lines with carts piled high. Looked like Christmas. I only had a few items and managed to be first in line at the customer service desk.

After lunch, stopped at Safeway - same thing, only they have a smaller parking lot so I had to drive around for a few minutes. The "cheap" bread was gone, still plenty of milk left, only a couple bags of romaine left. That was 11:30 so shelves are probably bare now.

But we are all set for at least a week - and the weather report is calling for snow the next ten days. Am I somehow back in northern Indiana? lol.

Margaret - kids! Is this the son you are buying the house with?

Lisa
    - thank you for your thoughts on eating, diet, etc. After years of having an un-natural relationship with food, it has taken some effort for me to see it for what it should be - nourishment, plain and simple.

Machka - glad that brain cyst doesn't appear to be troublesome. Is the PT the plan for getting your hip tendons/ligaments all tuned up - do they want you to take any medication? I've fallen behind on my frozen shoulder exercises, that and the cold weather is making it hurt I think. Aggravating to have pain and reduced movement in limbs and joints we once used without thinking twice - in your case, even walking. Grateful there is physical therapy to help us heal. Takes so darn long tho.

Kelly - my 6 month old grand-niece in Indiana is going to have to wear a helmet! Maybe I can get my brother to paint Indiana U colors on it. What happened to Joaquin's Notre Dame helmet?

Karen in VA -- that picture of the grands is just thrilling! Look at those dimples! And baby brother isn't a baby anymore, lol.

Sue and all of you Pacific NW ladies - dig out your boots and throw an extra blanket on the bed. We are in for it, lol.

I need to bring in the hummingbird feeder. It's about 32f out right now, I have 3 little hummers fighting over it but it's getting dark. Katla, we had a feeder that attached to the window at our previous house - at this house, I can't reach the windows because it's on a pretty tall foundation and the ones I can reach - we keep the blinds down all the time and they are windows we don't normally look out of much anyhow. I can at least see this hanging feeder from my kitchen window.

Tomorrow is Saturday! have a good evening.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Lisa - Very well said. I would add that being honest with yourself is one of the most important parts also. I see so many people say I just can't get my weight down the last few pounds. I am logging everything, I don't understand why the scale won't move. If you are using measuring cups and spoons (or even worse, eyeballing your portions) instead of a food scale, or generalizing and logging that you are eating half a medium apple, then you are not being honest with yourself about what you are eating. A medium apple to me is not the same as a medium apple to the next person. However, eating 25 grams of a red delicious apple is the same for everyone and lets you know what you are really consuming so that you can get your calories within the range they need to be in to lose those pounds that "just aren't coming off for no reason".

Just my two cents.

Okie in the TX Hill Country where we are having snow flurries!!!

Agreed!!

When I start weighing everything with my food scale and sticking to it all the time, 24-hours a day, 7 days a week ... the weight drops off.

I would also add that a lot of people I hear, at work and elsewhere, over estimate their calorie burn. They do something a little more than usual ... like let's stay climbing 5 flights of stairs back up to our office after a fire drill rather than waiting for the lift ... and announce that they must have burned about 500 calories and should be able to eat a caramel slice with lunch today!

When I log my exercise, I tend to round down. Then when I was on a mission to lose weight, I ate about half my exercise calories back. And that seemed to work too. :)

Machka in Oz

My calorie burn is exactly what it is. I use a chest strap heart rate monitor. I don't use what an exercise machine says or what map would say. I override and enter what my monitor says.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Machka - glad that brain cyst doesn't appear to be troublesome. Is the PT the plan for getting your hip tendons/ligaments all tuned up - do they want you to take any medication? I've fallen behind on my frozen shoulder exercises, that and the cold weather is making it hurt I think. Aggravating to have pain and reduced movement in limbs and joints we once used without thinking twice - in your case, even walking. Grateful there is physical therapy to help us heal. Takes so darn long tho.

I have my appointment with my PT on Wednesday and she'll go over everything in more detail. She just rang me with the results that there was no break but there were other issues.

I don't imagine there will be medication ... aside from panadol.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »

Stress eating also puzzles me. Don't other people's stomachs shut down entirely when they get stressed? You can tell when I'm feeling somewhat more relaxed about things because that's when I'll eat more. :)

M in Oz

Nope. Unless I am honestly weighing and logging everything that goes in my mouth, stress makes me empty the pantry and the fridge directly in my mouth.

Okie

If I'm super busy and distracted, I'll eat more or higher calories because I tend to go for convenience food. I tend to gain weight when there's a combination of moving house and health issues all in about a 6 month period of time. Health issues slow down my exercise attempts and moving house is stressful, plus the need for convenience food increases.

But if I'm truly stressed, I stop eating all together. I lost about 4 kg in the first week to 10 days after my husband's accident last year because I just couldn't put anything into my stomach without feeling like I was going to throw up.

M in Oz
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    My post went poof..... it was all about snow and heated car seats and shingles and thoughts on good and bad foods. Oh well, will just wish everyone a good night and post again soon.
    Betsy from NW Washington
  • pipcd34
    hgebhpa1ch94.jpeg
    zdosy5rh64n5.jpeg
  • pipcd34
    stats for the day:

decided to walk to work this morning, cuz when i leave for work, there will be snow on the ground and running shoes won't work so i kept my bike shoes on

bike ride hm 2 gym- 8.04min, 11amph, 135mhr, 1.4mi= 73c
    treadmill walk/skip/sidestep- 30min, 116ahr, 143mhr, 3.5sp, 10incl, 1.75mi= 216c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.40min, 128mhr, 15.6amph, 1.4mi= 57c
    walk sta 2 wrk- 8.25min, 16.46min mi, 116mhr, .5mi= 56c
    walk wrk 2 sta- 11.13min, 19.58min mi, 99mhr, .4mi= 55c
    snow - bike ride dome 2 hm- 22.25min, 7amph, 143mhr, 2.6mi= 203c

total cal 660
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    Just lots of rain here so far. Hoping for snow since many events for this weekend gave already been cancelled.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • Machka9
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    My post went poof..... it was all about snow and heated car seats and shingles and thoughts on good and bad foods. Oh well, will just wish everyone a good night and post again soon.
    Betsy from NW Washington

Were you using your phone, and did you:

a) Attempt to put in a "smilie" or
    b) shift your phone's position at all, even just a little bit?

If so, that's why it would have disappeared. MFP is touchy that way.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    Karen - so great to see the flourishing grandkids! <3<3

Feeling much less chesty this morning. :D
    I weighed myself and have gained about one pound. That's great with the reduced exercise. I'm still under my target weight by a couple of pounds. I did cut back on calories when I couldn't burn them off, but went into maintenance mode. Still, I'm very happy.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Hi all just checking in, still have at least 5 pages to catch up on. :o

Heather sorry to hear about your friend.

Sharon sorry to hear you have shingles, my mum had a bad bout of shingles a few years ago, all around her back and under her bust, she couldn't wear a bra because of the pain. I remember putting cream on her back and it was scarlet red - I've never seen anything like it. I hope you only have a mild case and nothing as bad as that.

Yeay for Aubrey going home, she's adorable.

Lots more I wanted to say, but I forgot to take notes, so hugs to the person who had to have their cat put to sleep. It's never an easy thing to do.

Loved the photo's of horses (beautiful eyes) little puppies and snowy scenes etc.

Thinking of you all, but I'd better get off the computer and get some work done, so much for limiting my time on it :)

Take care everyone
    Love Viv from a cold and very windy UK

• Machka9
    Back to getting some exercise again ... slow and short.

Friday -- 3 km walk to get dinner

Saturday -- Cycling!!

Distance: 20.75km
    Elevation: 109m
    Moving Time: 1:51:06
    Elapsed Time: 2:17:21
    Speed: Avg: 11.2km/h | Max: 25.6km/h

Plus 3.9 km walk to get dinner

The cycling was surprisingly tiring for me for some reason. It was a great ride, enjoyed it, but my fitness level has deteriorated.

M in Oz