Protein bar recipes

Options
JuliBiGoolee
JuliBiGoolee Posts: 204 Member
I usually buy Zone or Quest protein bars because they are low carb, high protein but they are really pricey. Anyone have good recipes for low carb, high protein bars that are tasty? TIA

Replies

• imadyer
    imadyer Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe to share, but I want to make my own as well. I really like the double dark chocolate bar from Zone. I have made my own version of Lara bars and they were yummy, but not super high in protein. I've saved a couple of recipes for protein bars/bites that I'm planning on trying in the next week or two. If they're a success, I'll let you know. I'd love to hear if you find anything you enjoy. Good luck!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I have made these in the past. Your post reminded me that I should make them again. They can be a little sticky sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv-LcIC5gtc

Hoping that others will share some other recipes.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Several years ago there was a chef on here that had a recipe for protein bars. If I remember his thread was "I'm a chef, ask me anything". I'll try a search when I have time. His recipe used protein powder.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    The closest match I’ve found to the quest macros is this recipe:
    https://staging.ketoconnect.net/recipe/make-quest-bars/

There are lots of slight variations on YouTube including microwave options, but that’s a good basic overview.

The secret ingredient is VitaFiber IMO syrup- I have used ‘fiber yum’ brand in amazon when making these frequent. The stuff is expensive (as is decent protein powder) and the cost to make your own (as calculated by the above recipe, it’s similar to my own experience) comes out to ~$1.33-1.67/bar- so it’s not a huge savings. (He calculates quest bars, on sale bought by the case, at $1.67)

Insider tip: if you DIY, get the silicone molds. If you are going to go to all of the effort, make em pretty.

Why do it then, if it’s not substantially cheaper?
    Because it’s fun- you can create all kinds of flavors. (I used to use graham flour + teensy marshmallows + dark chocolate chips).
    I typically made them with quest protein powder because I like it- have also used a few others (and sometimes needed to adjust amount of powder to keep texture consistency- plant based proteins seem to be more crumbly/drier.

For sheer cost savings, you can’t do it cheaper than Costco’s version of the bars. Same stats as quest, $1/each.

TL/DR:
    - Make your own if flavor adaptability/process is your gig
    - If protein/cost ratio is your highest priority, get them at Costco. If bars are a daily food for you, you will pay for the $60 membership in bar savings alone in 3 months (minimum savings of $0.67/day - and based on the cost to ship the Costco bars.)

I swear I DON’T work for Costco.
    In a perfect world, I’d shop entirely local.
    In the real world, I’m balancing financial priorities with ethics and nutrition goals.. & Costco has the largest organic footprint of any retailer.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Several years ago there was a chef on here that had a recipe for protein bars. If I remember his thread was "I'm a chef, ask me anything". I'll try a search when I have time. His recipe used protein powder.

OK, I found it. Fabulous thread. I'm not good with links but the title is: "I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything". It's from 2015. Look on page 21 and there's a recipe for Homemade Quest Bars.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Try the Feed Zone Portables cookbook.