WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2019

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Machka: You live in a beautiful place. I love seeing your pictures. :smiley:

Barbie: I think walking in snow burns more calories than walking on terra firma. My guess is that you’ll have loads of calories burned by the time you’re done. :smiley:

Shelle68: You have found a supportive group of women. Post often to give and get support. :star:

Repairmen are here working on our gas fireplace. So far, it looks like they’re having trouble. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they can make it work. I don’t want to have to replace the whole thing. :noway:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
    Kirby says arop9 inches of snow, measured it. I am shoveling snow and Wales to the mall for exersize. We have a 4wheel drive and have yet to use it lolol
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Afternoon (where did the time go?) I love catching up on all the pics, especially snow and grand babies!
    Yesterday I left work early because I thought I was coming down with something-took a nap and felt worlds better! After some errands with DH I’m headed to the gym for steps.

Beth im totally freaking about the tax prep results also. But I will stay out of the pantry snacks if you do—okay??

Kim it does seem to be piling on right now, but good to know that your embroidery business is taking off.

NYKAREN
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    My Navy son had to report for duty today. His job, readying the helicopter for if they need to go out on a rescue. He's with SARs ( search and rescue Navy though not coast guard). Hopefully it will be a boring day for him.. His Japanese ban drives on snow ok, and its just our side street that's snowy. Once you get down the street the roads are pretty clear. On our public works map, we are a grey street so no services to us! Hoping our trees out back stay upright, and we don't lose any large branches!
    Stay safe friends!
    💗Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    Washington
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,636 Member
    home from work and trying to put together a shopping list... think I am going to wait until dinnertime to shop because right now it would be crazy..
  • pipcd34
    stats for the day;

no gym workout, did this instead:

shoveling walkway and sidewalk in front- 37.57min, 114mhr, = 174c
    walk- snow, to mall, REI Costco and home-122mhr, 2hr, 19min, 14sec, 22.15min mi, 4mi= 458c
    shoveling back deck and back alley= 55.37min, 124mhr,= 289c

total cal 921
  • pipcd34
    Our walk this morning
    tqf4mro1tkmd.jpeg
    cm8y1dmopsfr.jpeg
    pgb4ibou9th6.jpeg
    qmc22ngi8n1u.jpeg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Lenora: Good to see you!!! :flowerforyou:

Pip: You have loads more snow than we do. Kirby is looking great. I assume you’re the photographer. You do good work. I hope you have fun together. :star:

There are traces of snow left on the ground, but we’re almost snow free. I wouldn’t mind a bit more. The forecast looks like we may have a bit more in th next few days. Our freezers are well stocked and I just bought a fresh can of coffee. We could survive staying home for a few days. Since we’re all set, I’m guessing we’ll be able to come and go as we please. If our cupboards were bare, it might be a different story.

Stay safe!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Barbie: Mars can relate to Sasha and Bessie. After this photo, he promptly retreated to the top of the wooden retaining wall where the snow had melted. Of course he doesn't care if I have to stand in snow to my calves. :p

opv3h9nvphy5.jpg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,877 Member
    edited February 2019
    :) I don't doubt that I've burned a ton of calories walking in the snow that comes up a few inches higher than the top of my boots also shoveling snow to make a path for the dogs. But I'm obsessed about getting 10,000 steps a day and that's going to be a challenge. I've done a bunch of walking in the house, but there is no clear surface outdoors for walking and no possibility of driving anywhere to walk in a big store for an hour.

:)Katla, I hope the news is good about your gas fireplace.

:)Rori, The expression on Mars' face is priceless. If Sasha and Bessie could have jumped up onto a higher surface, they would have.

:)Margaret, I went to college in Minnesota and l loved the winters but I lived in a dorm and had no car so I had no responsibility for shoveling snow, paying the heating bill, or driving on snowy or icy roads.

<3 Barbie

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,636 Member
    Home from shopping and in bed.. lots of wonderful yummy things.but I'm pooped and going to sleep..catch ya'll in the a.m.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Shelle ... welcome!

Snow photos ... love seeing it in other people's yards!

Yep ... in other people's yards. Brings back memories of Canada for me.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: You live in a beautiful place. I love seeing your pictures. :smiley:

Barbie: I think walking in snow burns more calories than walking on terra firma. My guess is that you’ll have loads of calories burned by the time you’re done. :smiley:

It also builds calf muscles.

From my experience, walking in snow, walking in sand, walking up hill, and walking up and down flights of stairs are all good for building calf muscles. :)

M in Oz

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Went to exercise behind the clubhouse today. When I say it’s windy, I mean windy. So much so that I couldn’t exercise behind the clubhouse, so I came up to the condo, took off my sneakers and exercised, trying not to jump (since there are people below us). Then my laptop got low on battery and just shut off. Fortunately, I had most of the exercising done. The plan for tomorrow is to do the More than Mat Pilates DVD which I can do in the condo.

We’re supposed to meet friends of ours for lunch at PF Changs

Barbara – loved your picture of the dogs going out in the rain

Lisa – you’re doing great with the PT. Before you know it, you’ll be back as good

Barbie – you sure had a lot of snow. That was nice of you to shovel a path for the dogs

Shelle – I’m so sorry to hear of your breast cancer. It must be so frustrating! I can hardly imagine. Heather – you know about this

Went to PF Chang’s for lunch with friends of ours. Had the Buddah’s Feast, just water to drink, edamame (steamed), brown rice. Buddah’s feast had asparagus, tofu, carrots, and broccoli – I got it steamed.

Beth – many times I prefer to get my fruits from the places in the store where they have it marked down. Usually that fruit is over ripe and therefore sweeter. I don’t see anything ugly about those veggies. They look really good. Bad thing is that I couldn’t find anything except for the tomatoes that Vince would eat. I’d eat everything in that box

Katla – yes, walking in snow does burn more calories

Lenora – how are you doing? Been thinking of you a lot lately

Katla – from living in the Poconos, I learned that in wintertime, you always kept bread in the freezer and dried milk in the pantry. People in NC haven’t learned that yet. I learned to have meat in the freezer so I didn’t have to take 3 babies out in the snow to go food shopping

Rori – why should Mars care????

Went to a mall here, was surprised to find that one store went out of business. Well, not really surprised. That Sears wasn’t doing too well for a long time. Then went to the SPCA thrift store. Home for dinner. Need to take a shower, go for lunch tomorrow with a friend of mine. Thinking that I’d like to go to a ceramics place in Orlando Monday.

update: The couple we saw today really wants us to come to their house. Vince asked if I would forgo the trip to Orlando and he'll go to Palm Coast. Well, I'll have some ceramics to work on. I know that I'm going to get at least one piece from the gal down here, maybe more. I'm hoping to get at least one, possibly more pieces from the gal in St. Augustine. So I'll have things to work on.

Michele in usually sunny but windy today FL
  • pipcd34
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I don't doubt that I've burned a ton of calories walking in the snow that comes up a few inches higher than the top of my boots also shoveling snow to make a path for the dogs. But I'm obsessed about getting 10,000 steps a day and that's going to be a challenge. I've done a bunch of walking in the house, but there is no clear surface outdoors for walking and no possibility of driving anywhere to walk in a big store for an hour.

:)Katla, I hope the news is good about your gas fireplace.

:)Rori, The expression on Mars' face is priceless. If Sasha and Bessie could have jumped up onto a higher surface, they would have.

:)Margaret, I went to college in Minnesota and l loved the winters but I lived in a dorm and had no car so I had no responsibility for shoveling snow, paying the heating bill, or driving on snowy or icy roads.

<3 Barbie

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Have you tried the Leslie Sansone You tube videos? I have been doing them because there is no safe way for me to even get out through our park to get to sidewalks that may have been kept clear.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,877 Member

Have you tried the Leslie Sansone You tube videos? I have been doing them because there is no safe way for me to even get out through our park to get to sidewalks that may have been kept clear.
    Tracey in Edmonton

:) Thanks for the suggestion
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    <3