Replies

• sarahwardy1971
    sarahwardy1971 Posts: 8 Member
    I love bacon 🤣🤣🤣
  • sweeetypie1
    sweeetypie1 Posts: 122 Member
    edited February 2019
    wren176 wrote: »
    For all my peers that are questioning what I eat here it is. I eat about 1,500 calories a day. I do intermittent fast one day a week and possibly a second day later in the week if I feel like it. Before judging me, yes I do eat bacon for breakfast pretty much every day. If I fasting I do not eat again till breakfast the next morning. The intermittent fasting was started at the suggestion of my dr due to the fact it increases insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetics. I work in healthcare and I’m lucky enough to work with my dr. I get feedback on my condition everyday. She keeps track of my progress and is amazed! I started as a class 3 morbidly obese woman and in 112 days I am only 18 pounds from being just “overweight” besides the fact I no longer have palpitations or have to take my diabetes medication. You know what else she recommended? Lifting heavy things. So I toured gyms and chose a lifting program and started it. The bottom line is if I’m hungry I eat, if not I don’t.

Hi Wren. I didn't think you could fast when you are diabetic. So this worked for you? I'd like to try IF but I am diabetic and (type 2) and need to lose weight but don't want to have issues with sugar spikes and lows if I''m not eating.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    fung has been debunked by many and I have been fasting more than 30 years not 3. and even times when I wasnt fasting and yes there were times. it made no difference in my health or anything else weight loss wasnt any different(providing the calories were the same). as long as Im eating in a deficit I lose weight whether IM fasting,not fasting,when I did keto(bad for me) or any other way of eating.

fasting works for me because Im not a breakfast eater and never really was. the meal timing of IF works for me. like I said I have gained,lost and maintained fasting. same with not fasting. I have several health issues and IF made no difference in those things. as for watching the video no thanks as I see fung is associated with it and again has been debunked and proven to be false
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Murlin54 wrote: »
    My take away from Dr. Fung and others with intermittent fasting is that they claim it is easier to not regain the weight if you get your insulin under control (get rid of insulin resistance) by using the fasting method. As far as debunking Fung, I don't know since I've only started to listen to the info on IF, but what I do know is I don't trust a lot of the health information we are given, especially if it comes from mainstream media sources. Our entire economy in the US is so heavily pharmaceutical and medically driven that it really doesn't behoove those behind the curtain to make us all healthy. The USA is terrible when it comes to allowing toxins and suspected cancer causing chemicals into our food supply. Several ingredients that have been allowed to remain in our food supply that have been banned in many other countries is really shameful. One ingredient (I read recently, but I forget which one) that has been banned in most countries but not here, China allows 50 ppb, whereas we allow 75 ppb. Worse than China! So at my age (64.5) I have to work very hard to lose weight but worse than that is I have a very easy time gaining it back. So I'm giving IF a try to see if it works for me. The PubMed citation in the youtube video seemed to hold some weight. (no pun intended)

fasting doesnt make the weight loss any easier unless it helps you to stick to a calorie deficit. as for insulin and getting it under control and making it easier not to gain the weight back? no you can prevent gaining the weight back by not going back to old habits and not overeating. it really has nothing to do with insulin. insulin is a normal body response and for some of course it can be unhealthy BUT, for someone like me who does not have IR or never has had it,I still gained weight eating too many calories while fasting.

It doesnt make the weight loss any easier, it can help with those with insulin issues(such as type 2) help regulate their insulin while they are fasting, but it has nothing to do with weight loss, now for them it may help with their hunger cues and fasting for them can help prevent being as hungry compared to if they werent fasting. but its not going to be that way for everyone. I know for me that if I dont weigh everything I eat I end up eating more than I think and that can slow down my weight loss or stop it completely. That may be what you are facing. There are studies and scientific proof out there that proves that IF in and of itself good for weight loss. what is is a calorie deficit. do a search on here there are many posts with links to these studies and others you may find helpful.
  • Murlin54
    Murlin54 Posts: 81 Member
    Thanks, CBeansMom, I have been doing research. Lots of articles, TED talks etc. that support IF so I'm giving it a try. Easier for me for the last few weeks so maybe easier to stick with in the long run.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Murlin54 wrote: »
    Thanks, CBeansMom, I have been doing research. Lots of articles, TED talks etc. that support IF so I'm giving it a try. Easier for me for the last few weeks so maybe easier to stick with in the long run.

well I will wish you luck with it and maybe it will be easier for you to stick with. for me it just comes naturally and has since I was a kid. so who knows.
  • mcjebus
    mcjebus Posts: 8 Member
    This is how I got some of the last bit of weight off. I can't go to bed hungry so I would eat at like 6, 7 pm.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    thesource.com/2018/11/21/fasting-for-72-hours-can-reset-your-entire-immune-system/

Of course this article above is about cancer patients trying to recover from chemo damage and not weight loss but it covers how IF works for humans in fairly simple terms. The name that was quoted in the piece of Longo is Valter Longo, PhD the author of The Longevity Diet using the Fasting Mimicking Diet (FMD). One can do a 5 day water fast or do FMD for 5 days eating 800 calories each day and get the same health recovery potential as the water only diet version. I did it last week using my own Way Of Eating and not the ready made kit you can get through a doctor after I read the book. The main thing I did was just left out protein for 5 days to trigger new stem cell generation and the refeed phase is to help them develop and renew your immune system as is claimed for FMD.

The first half of the book is general info and the second half is to health care providers. I will try to post a review of the book so you do not have to spend $19 for the hardbound book. I got it to see his 30 years of work on the subject of longevity and the graphs and charts of the FMD trails with mice and humans. I have since ordered 3 more copies for healthcare providers since it has the clinical proof that supports IF as being valid for more than weight loss.

https://penguin.co.uk/articles/2018/longevity-diet/ He grew up in rural Italy and you can pick that up in the WOE that he promotes.

This FMD review with personal results below may be better than reading the book if you are not looking for the broad testing from labs in US and Germany. I will call the below a must read if interested in IF at any level.

https://quantifiedbob.com/fasting-mimicking-diet/

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Dr. Rhonda Patrick’s YouTube channel includes several videos where she interviews Professor Longo. Discussion about his work and findings is clearly a topic that’ll generate woo clicks here at MFP.

Good for you creating your own FMD kit and saving $250.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited February 2019
    Ok CharlieBeansmomTracey, we get it. It doesn't work for everyone. It's a tool that helps some, but not you. May we move on now please?

I've done a little IF in the past and it worked well, so I think I'll give it a go again. My work schedule has settled down some so I think it'll help me out with my consumption management. Wish me luck, and great job everyone!

Well....considering that post was almost 2 weeks ago, I think it looks like everyone moved on.
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    I have lost 16 pounds since January 1 doing the 5:2 IF. Not too hard especially when you start having success. It seems like it is really getting rid of my love handles. Even Paleo didn't do that for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!