Are you satisfied with two pieces of pizza?

fastfoodietofitcutie
fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 522 Member
edited February 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I’m really struggling with portion sizes. I have a really hard time just eating two pieces of pizza, 5 tortilla chips, 1/2 cup of ice cream, etc.. Granted this is all “junk” food but I am not ready to eliminate foods I like completely so I’m trying to fit them into my calorie allowance. Sometimes I’ll have enough calories to double a serving but for things like pizza, if I ate 4 slices it would wipe out my day.

So far I’m doing pretty good and staying within my calories but it’s becoming physically and emotionally painful to not eat more. It’s not that I’m hungry, I just want it. And no, I don’t want to make healthier versions of these foods.

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited February 2019
    Yes, I'm actually typically ok with one slice of pizza and a cookie (the place I normally get pizza at also has very good cookies). Two slices would be more than enough. Sometimes I have a cider as well, but more often than not I don't.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    If it’s good pizza yes but if it’s cheap pizza no
  • Andy97886
    Andy97886 Posts: 6 Member
    If you haven't already make sure you're adding volume to your pizza, I and others find what works is adding a lot of veggies and protein to your pizza as cheese by it self barely has enough protein on its own. So for me i would add mushrooms, baby spinach, banana peppers and chicken to my pizza instead of just eating a plain cheese pizza
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,813 Member
    Not always satisfied with the portions I can have. Either try to bulk up with veggies on the side or sometimes just won't eat it since I can't eat what I want. Unfortunately, to stay healthy and keep the weight down that is the new normal and have to adjust
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    It depends on the pizza. If it's an original or thicker crust and has meat on it, I'm satisfied with 2 slices. My husband likes to make/order thin crust veggie pizza most of the time and I'm satisified with 3, sometimes 4 slices of that.

For any "heavier" or junk food type item I try to incorporate it into my day by having lighter or smaller meals to allow for it. I would much rather have eggs and fruit for breakfast, veggie-heavy light lunch, and then go all out with a big burger and onion rings, than be the person ordering a bunless grilled chicken and salad.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    I'm not trying to encourage finding ways to gorge yourself, but you might want to look at how aggressive your weekly weight loss goal is. Many set it for 2 lbs a week when that is really only for those who are very obese. Changing to 1 lb/week will likely give a person more calories to work with and make the entire process more sustainable.

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Yeah, one or two is usually enough for me. But then I'm short and need fewer calories (5'3" and on 1340 to lose 1/2lb per week). Even at my heaviest, I rarely had more than two slices, though I'd often have more sides and/or dessert to round off the meal.
  • kenthepainter2
    kenthepainter2 Posts: 58 Member
    I love pizza but it has way too many calories, I avoid it because I cant eat just 2 slices/ 500 cal or so.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited February 2019
    For me two are fine. The place we get ours from is 280 calories per 121g serving. Two pieces usually come to 1.8 servings for me. So, 504 calories. I'm usually full with that and it fits fine into my regularly daily goal.

If it's a really good pizza from an Italian restaurant, then I usually am good with two but, of course, the calories are higher. I follow a weekly calorie goal so it's no issue to balance it out over the week if I need to.

For other things, I don't go with serving sizes on the packages. I take what I want based on the calories I have available. Usually 28g of chips are fine as a side, but if it's part of an entree (like nachos) then it's usually 1.5 servings or so. Other stuff, like ice cream, I have 1.25-1.75 servings.

Most of the stuff just became the new norm and not an issue. For more calorie dense foods/meals, the weekly goal helped a ton.

ETA: I'm also a small female. Bigger folk, especially men, will want/need more. No way my husband would be okay with just two, but then he has twice my calorie allowance.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Not really. Most days I can go almost the entire day with little to no food, so if I know I'm having pizza that night I make room. Depending on the pizza, 3-5 slices for me.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I usually pair the 2 pieces of pizza with a low calorie salad.
    A smaller amount of pretzels or popcorn is more satisfying than chips to me.
    I'm not a big dessert eater but if I take my time and really savor a small dish of ice cream or a cookie it is more satisfying. I hold the food in my mouth for a bit and really try to notice the flavor and texture.
    A smaller amount of dark chocolate is more satisfying to me.

There are lower calorie versions of products to try or make your own.

Try making this cheesecake for a dessert-> https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10500016/low-calorie-protein-cheesecake/p1
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Nope. Not for pizza. I'd rather make a lower calorie one.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    No. I am not satisfied by 1-2 slices of pizza, 1/2 cup ice cream, etc (although the ice cream might be close). As such, I can’t fit these things into a normal day because in order to stay in my calories; I’m still hungry-or to not be hungry, I’m over my calories.

I save some calories from most days and have one day where I’m over my goal (but within my weekly goal). That allows me to actually “fit in” calorie-dense foods in portions that I find satisfying or in addition to foods that will help me be full.

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    I just had two slices of pizza for lunch (Little Caesers). Paired it with one bread stick and a can of diet Coke and called it good lol. Husband and the kids just came back from a retreat so it was a quick and easy lunch :)
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Depends on the size of the pizza but I can quite happily eat about 500kcal worth of pizza, with salad on the side. Or I could if cheese didn't do unspeakable things to me, at the moment. Sigh.