Hal Higdon 10k Training Program: Novice (Progress Thread)

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    Alternately, since you don't have a real deadline, just do 8, 9, 10, 8, 11, 12, 10, 13.

The place I have been doing the long runs for this plan has been the lake near my apartment. Each lap around the lake is 1.7 miles.

So I was thinking something like this...

8 (plan), but do - 8.5 (5 laps)
    10k (plan), but do - 6.8 (4 laps)
    9 (plan), but do - 10.2 (6 laps)
    10 (plan), but do - 11.9 (7 laps)
    13.1 (plan), but do - 13.6 (8 laps)

Then I would not have to extend the plan.

If I have to extend the plan, in my mind I would kinda feel like I failed to a certain extent. :(

Typo?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Alternately, since you don't have a real deadline, just do 8, 9, 10, 8, 11, 12, 10, 13.

The place I have been doing the long runs for this plan has been the lake near my apartment. Each lap around the lake is 1.7 miles.

If I have to extend the plan, in my mind I would kinda feel like I failed to a certain extent. :(

Typo?

I think he means 6.8 miles instead of the 10k (6.2 miles)?

OP-keep in mind that the plan you’re following is preparing you to run a half marathon race in a race setting. As @dewd2 mentioned, race excitement, environment and adrenaline are MAGIC. Your plan is designed for you to have race excitement, environment and adrenaline as the basis for carrying you those additional 3 miles.

Since you’re not doing a race, you won’t have those elements - which are actually pretty integral to the plan.

Extending the time to get to the 13 mile distance doesnt mean “failing”. It means following a plan that is appropriate for your circumstances. Take a look at how a marathon training plan might lead up to a 13 mile distance without the excitement, environment and adrenaline of a race to work magic in carrying you 3 extra miles. Note: don’t go Scour the Internet to find a 6 week marathon training plan where every week the long run goes up by 4 miles.

It’s not failing. It’s working in the most appropriate manner for your circumstances.

And as an aside-barring injury or inappropriate training volume/intensity-there’s rarely a circumstance where additional mileage is bad for overall training and conditioning.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member

Typo?

No. That is just the number of laps around the lake that comes closest to the plan mileage without falling short of it.

• OldAssDude

Typo?

I think he means 6.8 miles instead of the 10k (6.2 miles)?

OP-keep in mind that the plan you’re following is preparing you to run a half marathon race in a race setting. As @dewd2 mentioned, race excitement, environment and adrenaline are MAGIC. Your plan is designed for you to have race excitement, environment and adrenaline as the basis for carrying you those additional 3 miles.

Since you’re not doing a race, you won’t have those elements - which are actually pretty integral to the plan.

Extending the time to get to the 13 mile distance doesnt mean “failing”. It means following a plan that is appropriate for your circumstances. Take a look at how a marathon training plan might lead up to a 13 mile distance without the excitement, environment and adrenaline of a race to work magic in carrying you 3 extra miles. Note: don’t go Scour the Internet to find a 6 week marathon training plan where every week the long run goes up by 4 miles.

It’s not failing. It’s working in the most appropriate manner for your circumstances.

And as an aside-barring injury or inappropriate training volume/intensity-there’s rarely a circumstance where additional mileage is bad for overall training and conditioning.

I see your point and I will extend the plan if I have to, but I still would like to try to hit that 13.1 in the 12th week if I feel like I can.

So far the long runs feel pretty good, and I feel like I can do it, but I'm also only up to 7 miles. I think I'm going to try for the 8.5 (5 laps around the lake) this week, and see how that feels. It's only an additional half mile from what the plan calls for.
  • OldAssDude
    Week 8 complete. I was able to do the 5 laps around the lake (8.46 miles).

d5a6o203j4ry.png

Garmin Connect Activity...
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3335562297

Next long run is a 10k, so I'm probably going to do 4 laps (6.8 miles), then the following 3 weeks 6 (10.2 miles), 7 (11.9 miles), and 8 (13.6 miles) laps.

So far I feel like I can do it without extending the program, but I will see how I feel as I go.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Sorry for the late reply. I was off falling on my *kitten* in the woods.

I wouldn't add to the weekly runs as you are already pushing further than you've ever gone before. If you get to week 12 and do not get 13.1, don't be discouraged. Take a week to rest (maybe do 10-11) then try it again.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    I’ve followed this thread for a while now, just wanted to say your progress is inspiring! Especially for an “older person” (I assume you are from your username), just goes to show you can be active as you age! 8.46 miles is no small feat at any age.
  • OldAssDude
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Sorry for the late reply. I was off falling on my *kitten* in the woods.

I wouldn't add to the weekly runs as you are already pushing further than you've ever gone before. If you get to week 12 and do not get 13.1, don't be discouraged. Take a week to rest (maybe do 10-11) then try it again.

Yeah I saw that run on Garmin and Strava. Nice one.

At this point I'm just gonna go by how I feel. I'm going to try to do it by week 12, but if not, then I guess I'll extend it.
  • OldAssDude
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    I’ve followed this thread for a while now, just wanted to say your progress is inspiring! Especially for an “older person” (I assume you are from your username), just goes to show you can be active as you age! 8.46 miles is no small feat at any age.

Thank you. I'm 61.
  • OldAssDude
    Week 10 complete...

uxsbbk8bskaq.png

My 2 original goals where...

1. 10k
    2. 10 miles

Technically I have met my initial goals so I am going to consider 13.1 as a bonus goal.
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    edited February 2019
    @OldAssDude ... im early into a hal hidgons program and sent you a garmin connection request.
  • OldAssDude
    @OldAssDude ... im early into a hal hidgons program and sent you a garmin connection request.

What is your garmin name?
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    Paul R, i sent you a FR
  • OldAssDude
    Paul R, i sent you a FR

Got it.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,379 Member
    Week 10 complete...

uxsbbk8bskaq.png

1. 10k
    2. 10 miles

Technically I have met my initial goals so I am going to consider 13.1 as a bonus goal.

Just my opinion, but at this point the bonus goal is probably easily within reach. You've made big progress since transitioning from the intervals to straight running, and at this point it's more just a mental game IMO.
  • OldAssDude
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Week 10 complete...

uxsbbk8bskaq.png

1. 10k
    2. 10 miles

Just my opinion, but at this point the bonus goal is probably easily within reach. You've made big progress since transitioning from the intervals to straight running, and at this point it's more just a mental game IMO.

Yeah. I intend on hitting the 13.1 mile run. What I meant was that it is just a bonus goal.

Before I even considered any program I had goals to first work my way up to 10k, and then 10 miles.

It took me about 6 months to work my way up to running 5 miles just increasing the distance randomly as I felt like it. Following a plan helped me double that 5 miles in 11 weeks.

Pretty sure I'll hit the 13.1 within the next couple weeks too.

Thank you.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    @OldAssDude The good news is that if you can run 10 miles, you can run 13.1 right now. You are now getting into an area where staying hydrated and fueling start to have as much importance as your fitness. Like in cycling for instance - folks that can ride 100K are physically capable of riding 100 miles. The difference is knowing how to eat and drink to not deplete your glycogen stores, dehydrate, or upset your stomach.

You have done some good work my friend.
  • OldAssDude
    @OldAssDude The good news is that if you can run 10 miles, you can run 13.1 right now. You are now getting into an area where staying hydrated and fueling start to have as much importance as your fitness. Like in cycling for instance - folks that can ride 100K are physically capable of riding 100 miles. The difference is knowing how to eat and drink to not deplete your glycogen stores, dehydrate, or upset your stomach.

You have done some good work my friend.

Yeah. I ran for just short of 3 hours straight. Probably could have used some carbs about half way through. I think I'm gonna get some of those gels for the next long run.

And thank you.