Ice Cream Substitutes

My seasonal allergies are starting. This is the time of year I gain weight every year because the most comforting thing for my horrible allergy attacks is ice cream. The cold is so soothing on my itchy throat, it even helps stop my running nose for a little while. And because my body spends so much energy during a reaction, I am left shaky and starving for something fatty and sweet.

So this year I am determined to find things other than ice cream that will be just as soothing during my allergy attacks. Today I mixed mushed strawberries with plain Greek yogurt and 1/4 teaspoon of local honey. I used a mini muffin pan and covered a small layer on the bottom of each cup, placed a blackberry in each cup, and filled the rest of each cup with the yogurt mix. It gave me bite- sized frozen treats that are healthy but satisfied that ice cream craving.

Does anyone else have a recipe to share for healthy ice cream alternatives?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Halo Top?
  • tamazinegrace
    tamazinegrace Posts: 25 Member
    Cinnabon halo top is delicious!
  • maddietttt
    maddietttt Posts: 2 Member
    ^ I also agree that Halo Top is soooo good. Oatmeal Cookie is my fave. I actually like it better than regular ice cream because regular ice cream is too sugary for me.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    I go for sorbet as an alternative. 80 cal for one serving, super yummy. Chapmans makes the best.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Halo Top is my usual go to..just tried the birthday cake one today. Not bad, not great though.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I go for sorbet as an alternative. 80 cal for one serving, super yummy. Chapmans makes the best.

I make my own. While most recipes require an ice cream maker, not all do. And slushes and granitas usually don't.
  • AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    Banana ice cream! Freeze bananas then blend them until it's the consistency of ice cream then add whatever to it.
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    I recommend the Yasso and the banana frozen ice cream. I haven't tried Halo Top, but the Kroger/Safeway version is also decent.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    If it's just looking for a lower calorie alternative, I second the Halo Top but find the Enlightened ice cream bars to be a dream. They're a lil' expensive but for a once-in-a-blue moon treat, they're delicious. My favorite is the red velvet.
  • phoenix0306
    phoenix0306 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely be doing banana ice cream. I will look for the brand items at our grocery store.
  • ruthlezz0209
    ruthlezz0209 Posts: 2 Member
    Protien fluff...look it up. Can be made very voluminous. Pop it in the freezer for a little bit and it is pretty good. Definitely not ice cream but for the amount you get for the amount of calories it contains, it is worth it. If you do try it I suggest using something like PEScience protien powder. Snickerdoodle flavor in particular.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I also love sf or regular pudding with a little cool whip and/ or maybe a little fruit- it is delcious andhelps me when I will g overboard with ice cream at times-
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Lrg box of Sugar free Chocolate Royal Jello pudding, mix in about a regular size container of cool whip free (yeah I know some people will jump on me about the additives), about 2 C. fat free milk. Blend pudding & milk then fold in Cool Whip. Freeze for awhile. I make a chocolate pudding pie out of this using low fat honey grahams, thaw it just enough to eat. Nice frosty snack for your sore throat.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited February 2019
    Protien fluff...look it up. Can be made very voluminous. Pop it in the freezer for a little bit and it is pretty good. Definitely not ice cream but for the amount you get for the amount of calories it contains, it is worth it. If you do try it I suggest using something like PEScience protien powder. Snickerdoodle flavor in particular.

I do something just like fluff - just not the protein powder though
    (I love coffee and chocolate together so...)
    A few coffee ice cubes w/ a bit of cold brew coffee then add a few ice cubes at a time - add in a tbsp of dark Hersey's cocoa powder and keep blending - adding as much ice as I want. Eventually add in 1/2 tsp of Xanthum yum and blend the heck out of it. Adding in sweetener - as much as I need. I freeze it for a few hours and it's SO yummy!! 10 calories for the cocoa/ 10 calories for the coffee / 5-10 calories for the xanthum gum. Not bad for a HUGE amount of ice 'cream' for around 30 calories
    This is before I put in freezer
    0cfeu0ianmrm.png
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member

I'd never heard of this, thank you for sharing that. I've bookmarked it for future use!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,814 Member
    You could go for something like this ...

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/178953/weis-ice-cream-mango-cream

484kom70dwe2.png

Servings per package: 4
    Serving size: 80g
    Energy 463kJ (110 cal)
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Frozen blueberries blended into yogurt using my immersion blender.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I tried Halo Top, but I'm personally not a fan. When I want a lower calorie ice cream option, I don't think it gets any better than Chilly Cow brand ones. Their brown butter salted caramel is soooo good.