Opinions on my diet

Hello, I'd like to hear some opinions on my diet. The purpose is to enter ketosis to lose weight and a lot of protein for muscle recovery after working out. As it stands my current diet is a cutting phase, in another 4 weeks I'll be able to have more variety.

Breakfast: 2 cups of spinach
4 eggs scrambled

Lunch: 1 can of chicken
1/2 - 1 cup of low fat cottage cheese

Dinner: 1 chicken breast
2 cups of spinach

105 oz of water a day sometimes a cup of diet green tea.

Replies

• mjolnir81
    mjolnir81 Posts: 27 Member
    It doesn't look like enough calories to me and if you are aiming to follow a keto diet it looks too low fat (you would eat full fat variations of food, moderate protein and low carb).

I'm sure you'll still reach ketosis if you ate that every day but how long could you sustain it? And you haven't posted the calorie content of everything above, so even if in ketosis you won't lose weight if eating over your maintenance calories (doubt this is but calories are what is important) You don't need ketosis to lose weight, just a calorie deficit. But at least with Keto, the higher fat content can make you feel satisfied, I know what you have posted would not make me feel satisfied and I couldn't eat like that longer than a few days before binging.

Eat enough protein, a small calorie deficit and eat foods you enjoy, including treats in moderation which you can work in to your calorie goal. For good nutrition, eat a balanced diet full of a variety of fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds etc. Honestly....you don't have to stick to foods like you show here to lose weight.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    I thought keto had a much higher percentage of fat intake than appears in that menu?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Terrible plan - as others have pointed out ketosis is not necessary for weight loss, but even if you were preferring, what you've described doesn't have near enough fat for a normal diet, nevermind ketosis.

Your recommended calorie intake if it's through MFP already includes a deficit so there is no need to be eating 900 calories, which is probably less than the average toddler. The minimum any male should be eating is 1500 and that's aimed at a lighter, sedentary male. I'm 5'8", female and lose on 1800 net cals per day.

This is a recipe for malnutrition and muscle loss in the short term and worse if you keep it up longer.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited February 2019

Total calories are a little over 900 and I think my recommended calories is around 2200 so theres a pretty good deficit not including my work outs of course.
    So you have a deficit of 1300 calories per day before exercise. So 2.6lbs a week plus.

This is one of the worst diet plans I have seen on MFP, and it's made all the worse by the fact you actually realise how big your deficit is.

It doesn't matter how much protein you're consuming, your body will burn muscle tissue for energy along with the fat at an intake that low.

Where are all your vitamins and minerals coming from on a diet that consists of small quantities of four foods? Is there even enough fat in there for you to absorb fat-soluble vitamins like vitamins A, D and E?

My guess is that the 2200 isn't even maintenance for a 6ft Male that's likely what MFP gave him for losing so it's even higher than a 1300 deficit. My maintenance is around 2400 at Sedentary, 5'8" female,
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited February 2019
    EDITed because I CBA'd with the minutiae of ketosis.

Total calories are a little over 900 and I think my recommended calories is around 2200 so theres a pretty good deficit not including my work outs of course.
    So you have a deficit of 1300 calories per day before exercise. So 2.6lbs a week plus.

This is one of the worst diet plans I have seen on MFP, and it's made all the worse by the fact you actually realise how big your deficit is.

It doesn't matter how much protein you're consuming, your body will burn muscle tissue for energy along with the fat at an intake that low.

Where are all your vitamins and minerals coming from on a diet that consists of small quantities of four foods? Is there even enough fat in there for you to absorb fat-soluble vitamins like vitamins A, D and E?

My guess is that the 2200 isn't even maintenance for a 6ft Male that's likely what MFP gave him for losing so it's even higher than a 1300 deficit. My maintenance is around 2400 at Sedentary.
    Oh my goodness, I think you're right.

Fricking hell.

• MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    That plan is awful. You are hurting yourself more than you are helping.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited February 2019
    Same height & larger shoulder span than you (only slightly) yet eating 3+X the amount of kcals you are...for maintaining.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    So much no here... 900 calories is no where close to enough. :noway:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    6. Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    I WILL:
    • I will allow members to share experiences without judgment. Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found on our Eating Disorder Resources page.
    • I will understand that people have a complicated relationship with food.

I WON’T:
    • I won’t use any aspect of our service to promote anorexia, bulimia or any unsafe dieting practices.
    • I won’t promote very low-calorie diets.
    • I won’t diagnose other members.
    If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,

psuLemon
This discussion has been closed.