Are you satisfied with two pieces of pizza?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I eat two slices. Here are some ideas.

Diarize your feelings after a meal, after the cravings have subsided. I realized I felt a lot better with no more than two slices.

Eat slower. Try cutting the portion in to one inch squares and take your time eating each one. Absorb yourself in the luxurious sensations that are eating pizza.

Someone else mentioned a salad. That can help fill you up.

Package up the extra and throw it in the freezer before you eat.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    The answer to the OP question is no prior to beginning my current fitness, health and wellness journey and that's why I've avoided pizza. I did, however, eat a slice recently, leftover pizza that was in the refrigerator. Ate it cold. There were two slices remaining but I only ate one which is something short of a miracle for me. The next day, since nobody claimed it, I ate the other slice.

I'm generally avoiding it but if I was going to conspire to each some, I'd do so after having eaten other food and mostly content, rather than being ravenous which, for me, would be an invitation for relapse. I think it's better, for me, to consider a slice of pizza like dessert, something to be eaten at the end to polish off the eating experience. My two cents, you're mileage may vary.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    I'm fine with 2 slices if I think about it, serve myself two slices, and eat at a reasonable pace. If I were to sit at a table with a pizza and eat without thinking, I could eat 4 slices easily, but I don't need 3 or 4 to feel satisfied.

Sometimes it takes some time and strategizing to change the quantity of food we eat. Often serving size is about habit and emotion, and that can take some figuring out. You could try filling up on some type of veggie before hand, like a salad or carrot sticks or something like that. Or have 2 slices, and then tell yourself you are allowed to have another slice, but only after waiting 10 minutes and determining if you really "need" it. Different things will work for different people though!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm fine with 2 slices if I think about it, serve myself two slices, and eat at a reasonable pace. If I were to sit at a table with a pizza and eat without thinking, I could eat 4 slices easily, but I don't need 3 or 4 to feel satisfied.

Sometimes it takes some time and strategizing to change the quantity of food we eat. Often serving size is about habit and emotion, and that can take some figuring out. You could try filling up on some type of veggie before hand, like a salad or carrot sticks or something like that. Or have 2 slices, and then tell yourself you are allowed to have another slice, but only after waiting 10 minutes and determining if you really "need" it. Different things will work for different people though!

Excellent points as always :) I especially like the point about eating at a reasonable pace. In our house, it's kind of like a frenzy when we have pizza, maybe in a quest to "get it while it's hot" ;)

This made me think of something else too. I wonder if part of the problem with pizza is that it often is consumed away from the table- maybe in conjunction with something on t.v. or a gathering. In that setting, I think it's really easy to overdo, because we aren't paying close attention to how much we're eating or our hunger cues. I once read a tip in the Beck Diet Solution book to try to sit down with your whole meal in front of you, so your brain has the benefit of the visual cue that says yes, this is a good, satisfying quantity of food. Of course, we're not always going to do that, so as you point out, it's important to stay alert, slow down, and really consider if we need that extra piece.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Nope. It's 4-5 pieces for me or none at all. But I also don't get high calorie toppings on my pizza. I just eat less throughout the day, or will eat less the next day to make it fit.

I will ALWAYS make pizza fit :D
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

Excellent points as always :) I especially like the point about eating at a reasonable pace. In our house, it's kind of like a frenzy when we have pizza, maybe in a quest to "get it while it's hot" ;)

This made me think of something else too. I wonder if part of the problem with pizza is that it often is consumed away from the table- maybe in conjunction with something on t.v. or a gathering. In that setting, I think it's really easy to overdo, because we aren't paying close attention to how much we're eating or our hunger cues. I once read a tip in the Beck Diet Solution book to try to sit down with your whole meal in front of you, so your brain has the benefit of the visual cue that says yes, this is a good, satisfying quantity of food. Of course, we're not always going to do that, so as you point out, it's important to stay alert, slow down, and really consider if we need that extra piece.

Yep. The worst is going to a pizzeria, pizza in the middle of the table, a round of beers, lots of talking, people watching. The next thing you know 4 people have plowed through 2 pizzas and ordered the giant chocolate chip cookie :cookie:
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Nope. Two slices is not enough. Because of this, we only have pizza once a month - if I have three pieces once a month, I am fine with the calorie splurge.

FWIW I don’t normally have a “cheat day” because I often fit a small treat into my day, whether it’s a piece of chocolate, a small bowl of popcorn, whatever. This way, I rarely feel deprived. I also frequently have a chocolate mint protein bar as a snack mid-day to help reach my protein goal - and that in itself is sweet enough to feel like it’s my treat.
  • akamara
    akamara Posts: 5 Member
    I eat veggies like carrot, cauliflower,and celery in between pizza bites.
  • tamazinegrace
    tamazinegrace Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2019
    I made this tortilla pizza tonight, only 381 cals 👌

https://ibb.co/hCsZ4rq
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Nope. Half a pizza or I'm not interested.

And this is why we're friends :heart:
  • tamazinegrace
    tamazinegrace Posts: 25 Member
    :)
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    Y'all are killing me. It's not pizza day and I keep coming back to this thread...
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    Thin crust pizza digorneo supreme.. I typically eat half of the pizza. roughly 800 Cal in one sitting..

But then again i burn 3000+/- cal a day (per Fitbit)
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Y'all are killing me. It's not pizza day and I keep coming back to this thread...

Tell me about it. The cottage cheese I am currently eating does not equal pizza.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    rosiorama wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »

Tell me about it. The cottage cheese I am currently eating does not equal pizza.

I'll be working it in at some point this week LOL.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    If I'm only eating pizza - then no. 2 slices wouldn't cut it... but I'd either plan for that pizza and short some other meals or I'd pair it with a high volume low cal filler like a simple salad or veggie. I'd rather plan for it and eat all the pizza though. ;)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I know you say you don't want to cut out foods, but it sounds like you are just as dissatisfied with eating a small amount as if you are eating none. Are you? I love pizza, but I found that eating any amount made cravings even worse. It simply is not possible to eat less than 1 pizza. More often, when I ate pizza, I found myself not stopping until I had eaten 2 or 3 (pizzas, not slices). I do far better eating none than trying to stop with a little bit. That is true of most foods. You have to assess how you react and decide if eating a small amount causes more cravings or less. Decide if the way it makes you feel is helpful or hurtful. Perhaps you will decide to continue eating small amounts and perhaps you will decide to cut out that food after all.
  • allieeveryday
    allieeveryday Posts: 85 Member
    I did this just last week. Had two pieces over lunch at work. Was satisfied. But the pizza boxes were just sitting there, and they were looking at me! Had a third piece. I don't know if it was worth it, but I made it work?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Of course! I'm stuffed on two slices.

Here's my favorite pizza:

extra-large-pizza-can.jpg