Evening classes

A lot of classes at my gym are around 8pm. How do people fit these into their routine in regards of eating at night.

I finish work at 4 so usually prefer to go to the gym at 5 and back in time for dinner at half 6

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I could personally never go to the gym at 8 PM. I'm usually in bed by 9/9:30 PM and I would never fall asleep after working out. I would need a few hours of chill time after that which would make it more difficult to get up at 5:30 AM.

In your scenario though, I'd probably get off work and head home and have dinner around 5.
  • katherineleggett
    katherineleggett Posts: 129 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I could personally never go to the gym at 8 PM. I'm usually in bed by 9/9:30 PM and I would never fall asleep after working out. I would need a few hours of chill time after that which would make it more difficult to get up at 5:30 AM.

In your scenario though, I'd probably get off work and head home and have dinner around 5.

I have the exact routine as you. I go to bed at half 8 and get up at 5:30.

I wish they didn’t make the pool times and classes so late
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited February 2019
    This is kind of my normal workout time (somewhere in the 7-9:30 timeframe - I have trouble sleeping if I’m not done by 9:30). I eat dinner after my workouts.

But if that’s not going to work-I would eat dinner at least 2 hours (or more) before the class but save some calories in case you’re hungry after and want a little snack or something.
  • katherineleggett
    katherineleggett Posts: 129 Member
    This is kind of my normal workout time (somewhere in the 7-9:30 timeframe - I have trouble sleeping if I’m not done by 9:30). I eat dinner after my workouts.

I wouldn’t be able to adapt to eating after 9. I’d have to eat separate to my partner
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member

I wouldn’t be able to adapt to eating after 9. I’d have to eat separate to my partner

I added a bit more to my post in case that schedule didn’t work for you.

But if you get up that early, this might be a big shift and maybe not in the best way. Doing a workout class at the time you’re usually sleeping might be a big challenge. I’m obviously used to the later schedule (I struggle with early workouts).
  • smittybobitty917
    smittybobitty917 Posts: 19 Member
    I was reluctant to go to the gym after 8pm until I tried it. I eat a smaller/lighter dinner and then again after my workout. It might actually be helping me reduce calories. Dinner portions get reduced, and I'm sleeping during the after workout hunger pains.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I wouldn't do it now, in my fifties, but in my twenties I used to love late classes. And I ate before, no problem!!!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i eat dinner before (at least 1.5hrs before a class) and then leave enough left over calories to have a snack post-class/pre-bed
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    My class is 7:00-8:30. I eat two small dinners. One around 4 so I have energy for the class and one at 9 when I get home from the gym. My wife and I usually eat dinner separately on the weekdays because of this. But it's preferable to not going at all.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i teach classes as late as 7:30pm. no one has complained about the time
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I sometimes have/go to practice in the evenings. In that situation I eat a very light dinner before and then a rather large one after with some of the other people I train with. Of the people who go out and eat dinner together after practice, we end up going home at around 9pm. Some people are married, others aren't, and I don't think anyone is retired (there's a wide range of ages - mid 20s to mid 50s in terms of the people eating dinner together).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    I wish my classes would go later!

Where I am, the last spinning classes usually go about 5:30 - 6:30 pm. I don't finish work till about 5:20 so it's a mad dash to get there, and most of the time I just don't go because I'd really have to leave work early to make it on time comfortably.

I keep wishing they'd run a class from 6:15 - 7:15, which would allow me to get there and have a snack, and then keep the gym open till 9 pm so I could use some of the other equipment after.
  • bllaura10
    bllaura10 Posts: 42 Member
    I’m off work now because of having a baby but when I go back I honestly don’t know when I’ll have time to go to the gym other than after 7:30/8 o’clock when the kids are in bed. I’d have to wake up at like 4am to go before work and I know that won’t happen.