Diet coke

Can Diet Coke cause you to gain weight? I don’t like regular coke. It’s so sweet but I like the caffeine that Diet Coke gives. I don’t like tea and coffee stains teeth. Does it cause weight gain even though it’s supposed to be 0 calories?

Replies

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member
    nope!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    tbow0023 wrote: »
    Can Diet Coke cause you to gain weight? I don’t like regular coke. It’s so sweet but I like the caffeine that Diet Coke gives. I don’t like tea and coffee stains teeth. Does it cause weight gain even though it’s supposed to be 0 calories?

How could something with zero calories cause weight gain? Beyond that, no one in particular food causes weight gain. Consuming calories in excess of what you need causes weight gain.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Generally speaking, weight gain requires calories (exception, water weight). Some people find that diet drinks increase their cravings for sweets. If this is not you, then no, diet drinks won't cause weight gain. If it does increase your cravings for sweets, then being aware of how many calories you are taking in can mitigate that influence.

Also, a lot of people who aren't accounting for calories will drink a diet coke to wash down that triple bacon cheeseburger or whole pizza thinking they're being "good"

Sounds pretty good to me! :wink:
    Just gotta account for the calories.
  • flutes2
    flutes2 Posts: 11 Member
    I love Diet Coke and drink about 16 oz a day. I also use artificial sweetners in my tea. It doesn't make me crave sweets and I keep to my daily fitness calorie count so I guess its one vice I won't be giving up soon
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member

Where did you get the idea that a zero calorie beverage would cause weight gain?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    There nothing good for you about diet drinks. Try some different teas. I love GoodEarth Sweet & Spicy. Drink them cold, with a straw to avoid teeth stains. Just google "diet beverages and weight loss". Here is one recent article: https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/diet-soda-weight-gain-metabolism-insulin-brain-fat-metabolic-syndrome.html

That url is a woo overload!

Woo overload!! :laugh: 🤯🤯🤯
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Clarification, diet Coke has about ~5-10 calories in ~32 oz. I think your bladder or kidneys will give out before your calorie intake will.
    Aspartame is considered fairly safe.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    I started drinking diet Coke back when I started my active weight loss phase. Ended up losing a bunch of weight and improved all my health markers. I credit the diet Coke.

Or the calorie deficit that I was also in.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member

Momentarily. It has mass/weights, so immediately after you drink some you will gain the weight of the substance you just placed inside your body.

It's not going to cause fat gain, or net long-term weight gain.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    I don’t like tea and coffee stains teeth.

Just a quick FYI, sodas can also stain teeth...
    People who drink cola may notice their teeth turning yellow over time. That's because soda is very acidic, and dark cola contains chromogens.

Clear-soda drinkers also may get duller teeth because lemon-lime flavors contain acids, which make teeth prone to stains from other foods.

"It's like red wine vs. white wine," Wolff says. White wine makes your teeth easier to stain. So does clear soda. And all sodas have almost the same acid level whether they're dark, clear, regular, or diet.

https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/features/foods-stain-teeth-feature

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    There nothing good for you about diet drinks. Try some different teas. I love GoodEarth Sweet & Spicy. Drink them cold, with a straw to avoid teeth stains. Just google "diet beverages and weight loss". Here is one recent article: https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/diet-soda-weight-gain-metabolism-insulin-brain-fat-metabolic-syndrome.html

The author of that article would have to try very hard to pack any more BS into it than she already did....
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Eating more calories than your body burns causes weight gain. It’s pretty hard to drink enough Diet Coke to gain weight.