Help...Back in the gym after Blood Clots

I am recovering from blood clots that I got in October (2 PE-lungs and 1 DVT-right leg). I am ready to get back into the gym and start working out again. I have decided to focus more on building muscle and getting lean vs. heavy cardio like I have done in the past due to a lack of stamina.

I was hoping for some ideas around building lean muscle that may not be so rigorous as I have been struggling a bit getting back to normal. Has anyone found success from Yoga, Palates, etc. to lose weight and build muscle? I would love to hear some workout routines that I could benefit from to lose weight and continue to get into shape.

Thank you!!

Replies

• Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Hi, I just searched DVT's as I'm recovering from one now as well. My only exercise has been walking since April.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    wouldn't this be something to talk to a doctor about?? blood clots are serious and not something I would be turning to strangers on the internet for advice regarding.
  • BethMarieVA
    BethMarieVA Posts: 64 Member
    wouldn't this be something to talk to a doctor about?? blood clots are serious and not something I would be turning to strangers on the internet for advice regarding.

Thanks for you input. My doctor has cleared me to exercise and told me to take it at my own pace. I am simply looking to see what others have done once they got back into the gym. Looking to see how long it took them to feel "normal" again or how long it took them to get back to their routine workout vs. an altered one due to shortness of breath.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Has anyone found success from Yoga, Palates, etc. to lose weight and build muscle? I would love to hear some workout routines that I could benefit from to lose weight and continue to get into shape.

I'd go with a more traditional strength program, using weights. You can use as little weight as you need, and the workout will be more balanced than most yoga & pilates workouts, which tend to undertrain the back. For a list of good programs, check the pinned post called "Most Helpful Posts".

Looking lean & toned is mostly from overall bodyfat reduction, which is from eating the right number of calories. :+1: