Couch to 5k

Okay week one.....

I've set my calories to 1200 a day and have also started couch to 5k!!!

So I'm seeing a plus when I've done exercise! Just seen I've got almost 200 to still use but I'm done! Never thought I'd not want to use spare calories!

I loved tonight only day 1 or the 8 week couch to 5k but I want to be addicted to the feeling of running!! I have about 12 weeks until I go on holiday and I hope I can make a visual change by then!!!!

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Congrats! You’re going to want to start including those extra calories if you want to have enough energy to keep doing the rest of the c25k program.

1200 is very low already and the absolute minimum to get all the nutrients and vitamins and thing you need if you’re just sitting on the couch. You need to eat those extra calories.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    I loved the Couch to 5k program.

You should eat back the exercise calories though, that's how MFP works.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Eat the calories. When I started running I would have extra calories at the end of the day but wasn’t very hungry so I didn’t eat them and then I’d be absolutely starving the next day and want to eat everything in sight!

Additionally, you are eating the bare minimum of calories. You need those extra calories to properly fuel the workouts you are doing.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Okay week one.....

I've set my calories to 1200 a day and have also started couch to 5k!!!

So I'm seeing a plus when I've done exercise! Just seen I've got almost 200 to still use but I'm done! Never thought I'd not want to use spare calories!

I loved tonight only day 1 or the 8 week couch to 5k but I want to be addicted to the feeling of running!! I have about 12 weeks until I go on holiday and I hope I can make a visual change by then!!!!

It's fairly easy to makeup the 200 calories without feeling too full, add some calorie dense foods to your days that you're doing C25K.
    • Teaspoon of Oil when cooking approx 100 cals
    • 25g Nuts approx 120 cals
    • 20g Peanut Butter 120 cals
    • 2 Oreo Cookies 140 cals
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Congratulations on starting C25K. It's a great program.

Sometimes you may not eat the extra calories on the day of running but are extra hungry the day after. If so, eat those 200 calories. You need to fuel your workouts.
    One way of looking at calories that I found helpful was to look at weekly calories (not daily). This gave me flexibility to "save" calories for the weekend or for hungrier days and still remain within my weekly calorie goal.

Again, congrats on starting the program and making it through Day 1 Week 1.
  • Blondie3012
    Blondie3012 Posts: 16 Member
    Congrats! You’re going to want to start including those extra calories if you want to have enough energy to keep doing the rest of the c25k program.

1200 is very low already and the absolute minimum to get all the nutrients and vitamins and thing you need if you’re just sitting on the couch. You need to eat those extra calories.

Okay so today I've gained calories obviously and about to go for my run... So will prob have nearly 300 calories extra so you say use them?! Exciting!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Okay so today I've gained calories obviously and about to go for my run... So will prob have nearly 300 calories extra so you say use them?! Exciting!!!

Peanut butter is your friend
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member

You say exciting, I say delicious! Enjoy!