WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2019

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    Margaret "... turn it off." Yup. We're doing that more and more.
    Heather "...stewed apples and black currants. Smells heavenly." Sounds heavenly too! Does he add spices?
    Kathy in KY too bad! Pineapple is one of my favorite go-tos.
    Tracey, Oregon is one of those states with wildly varying ecosystems and climates: coasts, forests, mountains, fruitful valleys, rivers, cities, high desert and even volcanic wasteland. Where we live on the southern coast is much like Vancouver, but a little warmer. North of us the coast is wetter and grayer. East of the Cascade mountains might be more Alberta-like but hotter and dryer in the summer and not quite so cold in winter. Yes, I'd take that dream as a very very good sign. Sending "hang in there" thoughts to your furnace.
    Barbie Sasha and Bessie will be needing snow booties now! Or at least some paw wax to prevent iceballs between the hairy toes ;)
    Yvonne "sometimes feel as if I'm pre-occupied with food and weight to the detriment of other important parts of my life." Oh yeah. Balance is such a challenge, I so often let the "perfect be the enemy of the good."
    Heather What??? "...no magic then" ? How can that be??? :laugh:
    Sharon your "goofy shirt" smile says it all!
    Betsy in NW WA, Oh NO! Falls can have long range consequenses. Is there anything you can do to improve the footing? To "hide" stuff in a spoiler, highlight it, then click the paragraph mark drop down and select Spoiler.
    0c4i9mw4cjky.png
    Barbie How can you move in all that gear? Remembering Ralphie's brother in his snowsuit... ;)
    Shannon what is the eye surgery for?
    SueBDew your table looks gorgeous. Hats off to you for entertaining, I'd be :sick:sick with anxiety to expect so many, and when the one showed up 15 minutes early I'd lose my breakfast :mrgreen:
    Machka I hear you about skirts. Wore skirted wool suits, heels and hose to work every day for 17 years, as it was still expected to dress up for work in SF back then. One of the many joys of retirement is being able to wear jeans, t-necks, flannel shirts and tennys every day ;)
    Evie con Very grats on the 1.8, might it be due the shoveling? Be safe and enjoy the no travel day at home.
    Welcome Nicole from NJ "just miserable in my skin" is powerful motivation!
    Welcome 1985nurse, heart goes out to you.

First kitchen estimator was here yesterday and was favorably impressed. Since we can't afford the total kitchen remodel I want, was asking him to quote in phases. He really listened to what was most important to me (hate Hate HATE cooking on an electric stove) and suggested we could save a lot of $$ and disruption by replacing the 30" electric stove with a new 30" propane stove. Then when we've saved the $$ for the remodel, we can design in Aunt Elsie's 36" 1952 Wedgewood. Less than $1K installed vs $3 or $4K for a hashed up make do shift over partial remodel. Hooray! Turns out he does roofing too, and his estimate looks like it will come in at $11K instead of the $17K bid we already had. Win WIN. Now to chat with the Credit Union about a roofing loan...

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    walk one more step 11/28, 60 g protein 11/28, rx/vits 11/28, meditate 11/28, knee exercises 11/28, SWSY 2/8, play with Tumble 9/28, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 7/28.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD!
    02/11 LT: SWSY-N , MT: meet with Allied Construction-Y, ST: call Pacific Vision ask for "billing" clarification -Y

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    edited February 2019
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka I hear you about skirts. Wore skirted wool suits, heels and hose to work every day for 17 years, as it was still expected to dress up for work in SF back then. One of the many joys of retirement is being able to wear jeans, t-necks, flannel shirts and tennys every day ;)

Fortunately we don't have to wear hose anymore ... unless we want to. I wear thick black tights in winter, but bare legs or 3/4 leggings in summer. :)

This is not me, but I often wear something sort of along these lines ... :) Actually I really like that ... not sure about the accessory choice, but do like the dress.

savjrtfuszyn.png

M in Oz

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    morning ladies~
    I am up dressed and had my tea.. we are supposed to get some snow and ice coming in this morning into the afternoon so will probably be send home early.. but we shall see thats the one thing about the very very short commute to work,,
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Barbara - I'm not sure what he puts in, because the stewed fruit is his 'thing', but I know he uses fruit juice , homemade blackberry cordial, and a bit of stevia. My suggestions are not necessarily welcome. I know he puts cloves in the pears, but I would use a cinnamon stick. :o;)

DH managed his best times on the machines since he was sick. He was very pleased. I did the machines and then decided I needed to do the weights and managed to complete the set. :D I found my arms etc worked fine, to my surprise, but I was more out of breath than usual. Still, not bad for over two weeks off. I then did some yoga stretches because my back felt stiff.

My son is coming to use our elliptical at 5 pm. He has strained his Achilles tendon and has a half marathon coming up, so wants to keep his fitness up. I decided to clean it and was disgusted to see how dirty the handles etc were!! You really don't notice your own dirt! Ugh! :o

I have persuaded DH to have another go at the Swing dancing (Lindy Hop) this evening. We went to the first one and then had to miss three, so he is a bit apprehensive. He is only going for me. I thought we ought to give it another try.
    Tomorrow there is a lecture in French at the Alliance Francaise which we had thought about attending. Maybe. :* I'm not good at doing things for a first time. Haven't spoken French in ages!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Sue love your table setting, very inviting.

Barbara sounds like a very sensible plan to get the kitchen remodel that will give you the best without going bust! We redid our kitchen (when we moved into our fixer) with IKEA cabinets but the one thing I definitely splurged on was a gas stove...I hate electric stoves, always have and finally got my gas stove, so loving it. Good luck with all the stages of remodel, it is a slow slog but you'll get there.

Indoor day for us, icy roads Allie stay safe out there.

still logging everyday in Feb :) NYKAREN
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Beautiful table Sue!

Okie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,500 Member
    Gym not open again 😏
  • Machka9
    edited February 2019
    Interesting article. I've been struggling with motivation to do just about anything these days ... but hadn't thought to look at it from the demotivation perspective.

How to Recover from 10 Types of Demotivation
    https://www.productiveflourishing.com/how-to-recover-from-10-types-of-demotivation/

I can relate to about half of those.

M in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,600 Member
    Good Tuesday for try number 3!

Kathy in KY- I feel you! My Sara (Pyrenees) has taken to peeing in my rock bed as to not get muddy. Our backyard is covered in water and that rarely happens. We need some sunshine!

Sue- I hope you got some sleep. Your table is beautiful.

Lisa- one day at a time! The good thing is you can work from home. Just remember to rest too!

Machka- I love that outfit. I wish I got to dress up for work, but jeans and sweatshirts in winter. In summer, I switch to yoga pants and longer shirts. Need to get some tunic length ones embroidered with company name.....

HeatherUK- glad you are really feeling better!

I have to say I am getting a better geography lesson here than I ever got at school ! It wasnt my strong subject along with history. Am thankful for such diversity and learning!

Working on putting Gravely part numbers in excel like I did Toro. It makes parts ordering so much easier. However, that led to reorganizing parts as there were lots of part number changes! What I thought would be a simple project has turned into a complicated one. At least it will be done before spring rush!

Welcome to the new ladies! We really are coast to coast and continent to continent! Check in often, reply when can, and soak up the wisdom from this group of women!

Stay safe and warm in the PNW and the East coast! Try to stay dry to those of us drowning in rain.

May your day be full of great choices!

<3
    Kylia in I need sunshine Ohio
  • Machka9
    Review ... (Distances include cycling + walking + a bit of running)
    Mar-15 … 489.8 km (304.3 miles) = 38 hours 4 min
    Apr-15 … 491.94 km (305.6 miles) = 43 hours 6 min
    May-15 … 361.81 km (224.8 miles) = 35 hours 50 min
    Jun-15 … 569.53 km (353.9 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    Jul-15 … 230.7 km (143.35 miles) = 32 hours 45 min
    Aug-15 … 211.3 km (131.3 miles) = 28 hours 8 min
    Sep-15 … 306.7 km (190.6 miles) = 35 hour 2 min
    Oct-15 … 441.82 km (274.5 miles) = 47 hours 43 min
    Nov-15 … 660.21 km (410.23 miles) = 60 hours 41 min
    Dec-15 … 499.91 km (282.8 miles) = 54 hours 56 min
    Jan-16 … 864.79 km (537.35 miles) = 65 hours 36 min
    Feb-16 … 470.53 km (292.4 miles) = 40 hours 39 min
    Mar-16 … 917.73 km (570.2 miles) = 66 hours 13 min
    Apr-16 … 417.83 km (259.6 miles) = 40 hours 23 min
    May-16 … 267.09 km (165.9 miles) = 36 hours 10 min
    Jun-16 … 552.1 km (343 miles) = 54 hours 48 min
    Jul-16 … 709 km (440.5 miles) = 60 hours 41 minutes
    Aug-16 … 775.9 km (482.1 miles) = 54 hours 52 minutes
    Sep-16 … 371.3 km (230.7 miles) = 32 hours 20 min
    Oct-16 … 649 km (403.3 miles) = 49 hours 46 min
    Nov-16 … 403 km (250.4 miles) = 52 hours 16 min
    Dec-16 … 511.05 km (317.55 miles) = 52 hours 2 min
    Jan-17 … 741.9 km (461.0 miles) = 70 hours 3 min
    Feb-17 … 600.5 km (373.1 miles) = 57 hours 30 min
    Mar-17 … 1113.2 km (691.7 miles) = 78 hours 25 min
    Apr-17 … 1181.9 km (734.4 miles) = 76 hours 45 min
    May-17 … 426.6 km (265.1 miles) = 39 hours 21 min
    Jun-17 … 575.7 km (357.7 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    Jul-17 … 714 km (443.7 miles) = 52 hours 23 min
    Aug-17 … 475.8 km (295.6 miles) = 38 hours 41 min
    Sep-17 … 455.5 km (283 miles) = 41 hours 25 min
    Oct-17 … 647.1 km (402.1 miles) = 57 hours 19 min
    Nov-17 … 427.0 km (265.3 miles) = 50 hours 4 min
    Dec-17 … 553.5 km (343.9 miles) = 52 hours 12 min
    Jan-18 … 590.2 km (366.7 miles) = 57 hours 49 min
    Feb-18 … 826.9 km (513.8 miles) = 57 hours 35 min
    Mar-18 … 582.01 km (361.6 miles) = 50 hours 11 min
    Apr-18 … 176.23 km (109.5 miles) = 29 hours 47 min
    May -18 … 167.6 km (104.1 miles) = 29 hours 08 min
    June-18 … 349.9 km (217.4 miles) = 36 hours 58 minutes
    July-18 ... 324.2 km (201.5 miles) = 24 hours 26 minutes
    Aug-18 ... 210.1 km (130.6 miles) = 25 hours 59 minutes
    Sep-18 ... 261.7 km (162.6 miles) = 25 hours 11 minutes
    Oct-18 ... 230.8 km (143.4 miles) = 30 hours 15 minutes
    Nov-18 ... 216.8 km (134.7 miles) = 30 hours 3 minutes
    Dec-18 ... 285.2 km (177.2 miles) = 37 hours 49 minutes
    Jan-19 ... 241.6 km (150.1 miles) = 27 hours 2 minutes

Goal: Get some exercise in February.

PT thought I had a fractured right hip (stress fracture). MRI says ligament damage + torn cartilage.

Friday, 1 February 2019 ... 0.9 km hobbling
    Saturday, 2 February 2019 ... 0.0 rest day!
    Sunday, 3 February 2019 ... 0.0 rest day!
    Monday, 4 February 2019 ... 1.3 km slow walking
    Tuesday, 5 February 2019 ... 0.80 km slow walking
    Wednesday, 6 February 2019 ... 1.3 km slow walking
    Thursday, 7 February 2019 ... 0.8 km slow walking
    Friday, 8 February 2019 ... 5.7 km slow walking with breaks
    Saturday, 9 February 2019 ... 3.9 km slow walking with breaks + 20 km cycling
    Sunday, 10 February 2019 ... 4 km slow walking with breaks + 21 km cycling
    Monday, 11 February 2019 ... 1.5 km slow walking with breaks
    Tuesday, 12 February 2019 ... 2 km walking + 4 flights of 20 stairs

2019 Monthly February
    Walking Distance (km): 22.2
    Walking Time (min): 277.5
    Cycling Distance (km): 41.0
    Cycling Time (min): 129.5
    Stairs Climbed Number: 4.0
    Stairs Climbed Time (min): 3.2

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 63.2
    Total Distance (miles): 39.3
    Total Time (min): 410.2
    Total Time (hr): 6:50:10
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited February 2019
    Machka - good article! It doesn't quite cover my issue with demotivation, but getting close.

Sue - I spotted some really nice wine glasses in your cabinet. Do you ever use them, or do you do like most of us and keep them locked up? :p It's good to use our nice stuff.

Bea's birthday 'twirly skirt' has arrived. Now waiting in for the cars and trucks. <3

Been scouting the Internet for a window cleaner. Will give one a ring this pm. Then might do my roots.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    Now I remember what I never liked about winter....SLUSH! :s:s:s:s:s Dogs don't want to go out in it. Ice beneath it. Too heavy to shovel well. And there's another brush of snow here this morning.

Not doing well in the eating department, but this too shall pass. B)

New battery for laptop on its way, don't have a lot of faith in a replacement one tho from that manufacturer. Will contact Dell and see if they have any preferred distributors since they don't carry them.

Sharon -- you are looking GOOD!!! Sounds like the shingles subsiding?

Using the old laptop now and its battery is looking iffy. Used 10% in 15 minutes. May have to move my base of operation to the kitchen table and plug it in. Sigh.

Lanette
    Slushy and cold SW WA State - Midwesterners, do you want your weather back? LOL! <3

• pipcd34
    Gym not open again, hung out at the train station for 2 hours 😏
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Off to breakfast with friends. Don’t really like breakfast out but it is a birthday celebration.
    Heather- I have three good sets of crystal from different relatives and my own and we rarely drink wine. dH diesn’t care for it at all. I ask a new window washer for an estimate (my old one fell off a ladder and got out of the business) and he was suppose to give me the estimate last Tuesday and come Wednesday so the windows would be nice for my party. Well I never heard from him until Saturday and the estimate was $160 more than I had been paying. At 12:30 yestday he calls to see if he could come today. I was right in the middle of last minute preparations and told DH to tell him Icouldn’t talk to him.
    I have had a bad thing happen when I get my hair colored. Time before last my scalp broke out and was a mess for about a week. So the next time she used a different product and my head itched for 9 days!! I hope I can still do it but am getting concerned.
    Lisa- hope you took a nap after working yesterday. It is hard to be patient but important that you give that leg the proper time to heal. BTW, I saw the picture and can understand why you are in pain.
    Barbara- the plan for the kitchen sounds sensible to me. We have moved so much that I have had both kinds of stoves and it really doesn’t matter to me but it takes getting use to the different temperatures.
    Kylia - I slept great last night. This is the first day of sunshine sinc last Friday. Need to get out and get some Vit D. By the way, can you get too much Vit D if you take supplements?
    Gotta run. Later
    SueBDew in TX
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    :'(Pip, sorry to hear about the gym being closed. A lot of things are closed over here.

:) The snow overnight was lovely and covered the streets with just enough to make walking easy and fun. The dogs and took a long walk before breakfast and will go out again soon.

:'(Lanette, later today we'll have rain and then that slush you were talking about. Each time I take the dogs out, it's a new adventure.

<3 Barbie from beautiful snowy NW WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited February 2019
    Sue - Even water, especially sparkling water, tastes better from a lovely glass!

Done my roots. :D Natural blonde again.

The window cleaner is coming tomorrow for an estimate. Hope it's not too much. At our last house it was really reasonable.

We wanted to do something for Valentine 's Day, but a man is coming to mend the shed. So I've booked an exhibition of Dutch Paintings for next Wednesday. It's at Petworth House, which is a must see in the stately homes of Britain. It's less than an an hour's drive away and we will have lunch there before we go into the exhibition. Looking forward to it. It's nice to go on a date. B) We are members of the National Trust.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    welcome to all the new peeps,

i'm sleepy. :(