Garmin Calorie connect adjustment. Seems to be giving me calories twice

Hi
Did a 5 mile run this morning which according to Garmin gives me 483 calories. From experience this is correct. However when it gets sent over to mfp it gives me the 483 plus another 450 for calories adjustment based on 11000 steps. After my run I have done practically zero walking other than a little around the house and round the supermarket so no way should I get this many as I’ve done very little. Also the steps in the run were most of these counted steps so it’s as if it’s doubling up almost. Anyone have similar problem .This has been happpening on and off for at least a month.
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    The step adjustment isn’t really based on your steps. It’s based on what Garmin thinks you’re going to burn for the whole day minus what Mfp thinks you’re going to burn for the whole day (with the run included). If you click on the “i” next to the step adjustment (if on the web) or click on the diary entry for your step adjustment (if on the app), you’ll see the calculation.

It’s not double counting. It’s estimating that you are considerably more active than you think you have been.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Ah thank you for that. It needs to start estimating I am very lazy other than my runs 😁. I’m now maintaining weight so will just be careful with the numbers. Appreciate your help.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Also if you have negative adjustments enabled it's been my experience that it will take off calories accordingly. So when I run in the morning I'll have the positive calories from the run on MFP and then under the adjustment it'll be -X number as the vast majority of the steps/movement I've done has been running. The same is true if I have gone on long bike rides that start early in the morning. It all balances out at the end of the day.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    I haven’t got negative adjustments enabled. As most of my runs are in the morning I may try that thank you.
  • CharlieTG2014
    CharlieTG2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi Lisa, did you manage to get this sorted? I have the same issue and after a 3 mile run and 14k steps it reckons I've earned newly 2k calories! I usually do around 7k steps which still gives me about 1400 calories which is clearly wrong. I have negative adjustments on and am lightly active. I've uninstalled, reinstalled both Connect and MFP with no luck. Any ideas on how i can get some realistic readings? Thank you 😊
  • JCoop9
    JCoop9 Posts: 14 Member
    Do you have another app connected to MFP? I had this issue when I had both Connect and Strava (a running/biking/swimming app) connected, so it pulled the exercise count from both sources. I haven't had any problem since I unlinked Strava from MFP.
  • CharlieTG2014
    I initially had both but tried to disconnect and I just get an error message saying it can't be disconnected. I then went to Strava and did it that way (this worked in Strava but MFP still reads its still 3rd party app)
    The message also reads on my Garmin when I tried that. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it but still no joy....
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    I see the same thing. I'm hoping that Garmin is right, but suspecting it is not. Today, I swam and tracked it with my watch. It gave 472kcals (which is a low estimate), but I got another 211 for "just being me." Is it right? As Jim Carry's character in "The Mask" says: "well, I'd like to think so!" Anyway, I don't eat back all the step calories, if I can help it.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I initially had both but tried to disconnect and I just get an error message saying it can't be disconnected. I then went to Strava and did it that way (this worked in Strava but MFP still reads its still 3rd party app)
    The message also reads on my Garmin when I tried that. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it but still no joy....

If MFP isn't truly disconnecting from Garmin Connect and Strava then it's probably on MFP's side.
  • CharlieTG2014
    aokoye wrote: »

If MFP isn't truly disconnecting from Garmin Connect and Strava then it's probably on MFP's side.

I believe so ... I'll see if support can help 😊