Are you satisfied with two pieces of pizza?

Replies

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    No I'm not satisfied with 2 slices. Never have been. I limit pizza to once a week and make sure to bank some calories from days prior or days after to fit my weekly goal. Also, I share the pizza with my 3 kids and make sure to not get too much as I will eat it instead of having leftovers.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,623 Member
    I try to eat a big salad beforehand and then 2 pieces is enough. It helps if I'm around other people like at work or in a group setting. If I'm eating with just my boyfriend or alone then it's over.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Of course! I'm stuffed on two slices.

Here's my favorite pizza:

extra-large-pizza-can.jpg

I knew people were going to start posting pictures! :#

That looks amazing! I think 1 slice would do it of that baby ;)
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    depends on the pizza, but generally not. I am one of those people that can easily eat the whole entire thing. Occasionally I will control myself and eat just the 2 if I'm really being pedantic about my calories.

Or I will make my own homemade and eat the entire thing (tastes good too)

But, sometimes I just make peace with the fact that i'm going to eat the entire thing and I buy a delicious thin crust pizza with yumness on top and eat the entire effing thing and wash it down with coca cola of the full sugared variety. And it's GOOD.
  • We haven’t even talked about the sauces... Garlic butter, cheese, ranch, it’s a never ending caloric nightmare but I’m trying this new eat everything in moderation so we’ll see how it goes.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member

That looks fantastic. It also wouldn't stand a snowballs chance in H.E. double toothpicks around me.

Which is why I joined mfp lol.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Sigh. Looks like I’m making pizza this week-end!
  • AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    Due to my lactose intolerance I buy a base, then add the rest myself. It's still a lot of cals but less than premade ones. Also with doing it yourself you have full control of what's on it. So you can choose to not add oils and other extras that's usually on pizza.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm fine with 2 slices if I think about it, serve myself two slices, and eat at a reasonable pace. If I were to sit at a table with a pizza and eat without thinking, I could eat 4 slices easily, but I don't need 3 or 4 to feel satisfied.

Sometimes it takes some time and strategizing to change the quantity of food we eat. Often serving size is about habit and emotion, and that can take some figuring out. You could try filling up on some type of veggie before hand, like a salad or carrot sticks or something like that. Or have 2 slices, and then tell yourself you are allowed to have another slice, but only after waiting 10 minutes and determining if you really "need" it. Different things will work for different people though!

Excellent points as always :) I especially like the point about eating at a reasonable pace. In our house, it's kind of like a frenzy when we have pizza, maybe in a quest to "get it while it's hot" ;)

This made me think of something else too. I wonder if part of the problem with pizza is that it often is consumed away from the table- maybe in conjunction with something on t.v. or a gathering. In that setting, I think it's really easy to overdo, because we aren't paying close attention to how much we're eating or our hunger cues. I once read a tip in the Beck Diet Solution book to try to sit down with your whole meal in front of you, so your brain has the benefit of the visual cue that says yes, this is a good, satisfying quantity of food. Of course, we're not always going to do that, so as you point out, it's important to stay alert, slow down, and really consider if we need that extra piece.

Well and see this is why one slice and a cookie is not very hard for me cognitively, most of the time when I get pizza I order it by the slice. If I'm not with a bunch of people when this happens, then it's a situation when I simply don't have time to get a second slice if I'm tempted. If I am with a lot of people, which is more typical, I'm too engaged to think "oh wow that tasted really good! I'm going to get another slice!". I also am not really into drinking socially and the people I spend time with are more than ok with not trying to pressure me into another cider.

When I do order a whole pizza then all bets are off. That said, then it's from a really good pizzeria and that happens no more than twice a year (out of convenience and cost).
  • 2Dozen
    2Dozen Posts: 66 Member
    Every once in a while is perfectly fine.
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    I am much more able to stop at one or two slices now I know the calories involved. Regarding the chips - I just don't go there. Like you said, 5 tortilla chips is just not enough. Although if I combine those with Hummus and some black beans, then I can. Having popcorn on standby for when you still have the chips craving is also something I'll do. But basically I'll avoid chips now because as they marketing jingle goes "once you pop, you can't stop".
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    How big is a "slice"? I suspect a US slice and a UK slice are significantly different.

I made a pizza from scratch last week, as I had some leftover yeast to use up. I was shocked how caloric the base was on its own - even weighing and logging the flour made me twitch a bit. The toppings were nothing in comparison. Still, I managed to make it fit, if you plan for it you can have it.
  • Phirrgus
    How big is a "slice"? I suspect a US slice and a UK slice are significantly different.

I made a pizza from scratch last week, as I had some leftover yeast to use up. I was shocked how caloric the base was on its own - even weighing and logging the flour made me twitch a bit. The toppings were nothing in comparison. Still, I managed to make it fit, if you plan for it you can have it.
    Slice size can be radically different just between different shops here in the US as well. Most store bought that we get usually say 6 servings or close, so 1/6 of a pizza - quite a small piece given that it's usually over 300 calories. Yet a local family owned shop I used to go to sold single slices that would cover a dinner plate. Anyones guess on the calories in that monster.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Definitely NOT unless I had a big salad on the side.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Yes, but with caveats. I would need 3-4 slices of my typical pizza to be satisfied, and sometimes I eat that. Other times I don't have the calories for that, so I do one or two slices plus something very low in calories but high in volume like a salad, a brothy soup, roasted vegetables...etc. I don't have a "serving budget", I have a calorie budget.

I don't stick to suggested serving sizes of things unless the suggested serving size is satisfying. In the case of pizza, I'm mentally satisfied with two slices, but not physically satisfied. That's why filler foods work for me.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    I’m really struggling with portion sizes. I have a really hard time just eating two pieces of pizza, 5 tortilla chips, 1/2 cup of ice cream, etc.. Granted this is all “junk” food but I am not ready to eliminate foods I like completely so I’m trying to fit them into my calorie allowance. Sometimes I’ll have enough calories to double a serving but for things like pizza, if I ate 4 slices it would wipe out my day.

So far I’m doing pretty good and staying within my calories but it’s becoming physically and emotionally painful to not eat more. It’s not that I’m hungry, I just want it. And no, I don’t want to make healthier versions of these foods.

I feel like the part that I bolded is the real heart of the matter. For myself and I suspect for many many other people, eating when not actually hungry is a major contributor to why I'm on this site.

I cannot eat a single Slice of Cheesecake. Certain types of potato chips I can eat the whole bag and maybe feel like starting on another. While not exactly the same but working along the same neural Pathways I cannot drink a single beer. As a result these things are no longer part of my way of eating. It's just easier to not have them. Then to try and Portion them out.

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member

Doesn't the green stuff on top cancel out the crust? Isn't it in a rule book somewhere??? :#
  • dsboohead wrote: »

Doesn't the green stuff on top cancel out the crust? Isn't it in a rule book somewhere??? :#

Ha ha, I wish!
  • Phirrgus
    dsboohead wrote: »

It better not. The crust is my favorite part >:)
  • jackisott
    jackisott Posts: 2 Member
    Markies do a "ultra-thin" pizza that is absolutely delicious. Perhaps something to look into. The Coop Extra-Special ones are also really good calorie wise.