Motivation to workout at the gym.

Having challenges following through getting to the gym. Trying to come up with goal.
I do want to learn how to swim this year.

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    sign up for a class and pay the fee.. perhaps knowing you'll lose out on the money will motivate you to show up.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    edited January 2019
    Just started swimming lessons last week.
    2nd lesson in 90min. I’m procrastinating, and dreading it, but I’ll go. Already got my swimsuit on :)

Why am I doing the lessons, I want to be the fit little old woman, I don’t want to have to wear a life vest when snorkeling in Hawaii in March.

Health and fitness as you age is a good reason to start working out consistently, but a little fuzzy.

Think of something you would like to do, it doesn’t have to be formal exercise, that is more short term and build from there.
    Just like weight loss, baby steps.

My fitness goals change all the time as I base them in my next vacation as a short term goal. They are really long term, staying healthy and fit, goals well disguised.

Cheers, h.
  • TriRunnerGirl
    TriRunnerGirl Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks for the ideas! 🤗
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    i found i was most motivated when i signed up for a challenge, race or fundraiser. didn't want to be last to cross the finish line, although that did happen once. it gave me that little extra push. also, working out with a partner who expects you to be there helps. maybe a swim buddy?
  • TriRunnerGirl
    Thanks! I agree I need to get a work out buddy. I’m working on that. 😊
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    You'll probably meet other swimmers and find a buddy. I swim at the same time of day, and often share a lane with people who swim at that time. I only know about half of their names, but I recognize their suits and caps as they go by :). Learning to swim is a great goal because there is so much to work on that you show up and decide as you go what your goal from that day will be. Sometimes I focused on keeping my hips and legs up, other days, my breathing, sometimes, just pacing myself so that I wasn't going so fast that I had to stop all of the time. If you can swing it, a waterproof ipod helps loads!
  • TriRunnerGirl
    Thanks for the ideas! 😊
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    The only way I have gotten myself to stick to the gym the past few months is setting my alarm early, having my gym bag packed and my clothes laid out for the morning... The only thing I have to do in the mornings is pack my lunch and start the coffee... I have mornings where I want to sleep in and not go, but I feel like I would be cheating myself in a way.

I told myself for months that I would go after work... It never happened for me, I was "too tired" after work. I had to force myself to wake up early and get going.

Once you find some type of routine, it helps. For me, it's every day before work... for others, it is different. Just get your gym clothes, swimsuit, or whatever on and go. You'll start some pattern and it will get easier to just get there.

Also, I wish my gym had a pool! I would probably go in the evenings just to swim!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    I took adult learn-to-swim classes at about age 48, at my local YMCA. It was a really good experience, and my skills definitely improved as a result.

Keep in mind, too, that gym is only one option. There are online fitness videos you can do at home, clubs for all kinds of things (running, walking, hiking, cycling, rowing, martial arts . . . .), group classes of many sorts at many places, dancing (lots of kinds), various community tournament type things (pickleball, ping-pong, racketball, etc.), and more.

If you can find something that's so much fun you'd do it even if it weren't good for you, that's ideal. (For me, that's on-water rowing, but for others it can be . . . anything. ;) )

Best wishes!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    The only way I have gotten myself to stick to the gym the past few months is setting my alarm early, having my gym bag packed and my clothes laid out for the morning... The only thing I have to do in the mornings is pack my lunch and start the coffee... I have mornings where I want to sleep in and not go, but I feel like I would be cheating myself in a way.

I do this too. I've just made it a habit that I go to the gym before work. It requires some planning the night before so I can pretty much just roll out of bed and go, but I always am glad afterwards I did.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I took adult learn-to-swim classes at about age 48, at my local YMCA. It was a really good experience, and my skills definitely improved as a result.
    Just started swimming lessons last week.
    2nd lesson in 90min. I’m procrastinating, and dreading it, but I’ll go. Already got my swimsuit on :)

I started taking swimming lessons a couple months ago too. I'm just doing one a month so she can check out my form and help me with my breathing. That was my biggest issue. I was panicking when trying to freestyle. I don't enjoy the lessons, because....panic attacks. But I know they are necessary to get me over the fear. I would really like to be able to swim laps without thinking about it too much. I agree with what others have said...go ahead and just schedule lessons. That will commit you. And they aren't cheap, so I know you won't want to lose the money by no showing up.