New ways to use protein powder

yode1
yode1 Posts: 6 Member
edited February 2019 in Food and Nutrition
What are some creative ways that you use protein powder? I usually just mix with almond milk in a shaker cup or make a smoothie but I'm getting tired of both. I have a hard time hitting my protein goal without using protein powder. I've tried making hot chocolate with it and the protein seemed to separate out and make weird little clumps (even though the powder was mixed completely into the milk)

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    I sometimes whisk a scoop of vanilla, chocolate or caramel flavor into a tablespoon of cream and add it to my coffee. It tastes like a latte.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Some people add it to their oatmeal or yogurt. I've even heard folks saying they mix it into their milk for cereal. Personally, I'm a shaker bottle and slug it back kind of person.
  • yode1
    edited February 2019
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Some people add it to their oatmeal or yogurt. I've even heard folks saying they mix it into their milk for cereal. Personally, I'm a shaker bottle and slug it back kind of person.

Yeah me too. I'm generally lazy with food prep. Just looking to change it up a little
  • Amwa77
    Amwa77 Posts: 71 Member
    I like to make protein pancakes and top it with SF syrup, sometimes fruit. I use 4 ingredient pancakes, recipe from jenniferbanz.com. The flavor of the protein powder you use will dominate the flavor of your pancakes so use a flavor you like. I've also made waffles using the same batter.
  • yode1
    I sometimes whisk a scoop of vanilla, chocolate or caramel flavor into a tablespoon of cream and add it to my coffee. It tastes like a latte.

That sounds yummy. No clumping when it hits the hot coffee?
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    I make my "hot chocolate" using cold almond milk with chocolate protein powder in my blender, and then heat it in the microwave. I never get a lump. I also add vanilla protein to my pancake recipes, and they are super-delicious!
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    I mix mine with water - I don’t want the extra liquid calories.

Whenever this household makes pancakes or waffles - usually every weekend, a scoop of powder goes in the batter.

I add a partial scoop to oatmeal when I have that for breakfast.

I drink one scoop a day - two on days that I lift. I try not to think about whether it’s boring - it gets me to my protein goals and that’s all I care about. I also eat protein bars pretty regularly, And cottage cheese almost every day (which I don’t really like). And a few times a week I eat a can of fish at lunch. It’s hard for me to meet my protein goals too - it takes conscious effort.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Yeah, and I tried the hot chocolate once - it was gross.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    edited February 2019
    yode1 wrote: »
    That sounds yummy. No clumping when it hits the hot coffee?

Whisking it into the cream first keeps it from lumping up in the coffee. If I forget to whisk it first, I just use a fork and quickly break up the clumps. Be sure you choose a protein powder you like - if it is crappy tasting to begin with you'll just have a crappy tasting protein latte :wink:
  • combsshan
    combsshan Posts: 47 Member
    If you want to make hot chocolate with it you have to "temper" it like egg yolks when you make a pudding. Here's how. Mix your protein powder, cocoa and sweetener with a little cold milk of your choice, mix until smooth. Then, in a separate cup, heat your milk to just hot, but not boiling ( I usually do this in the microwave, but you can do it on the stove in a pot if you want). Then take a fork and very, very slowly mix the hot milk into the cup with your protein/cold milk mixture. It won't be hot, hot cocoa, more like just warm, but it still fills the bill on a cold morning when you don't want something cold.

I also mix mine into yogurt or make overnight oats with it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I add it to things like biscuits, muffins, scones, and veggie burgers to up the protein content. For the baked goods, I replace 1/4-1/2 cup of the flour with the (unflavored) protein powder. For veggie burgers, you can stir it into the mixture and just make sure to add some water/broth to account for the extra dryness.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I have been adding a scoop to a cup of coffee lately. Tastes like I added creamer. I haven't really had any issues with lumps. I always add the scoop in to an already poured cup of coffee then stir.
  • Aimznmase
    Aimznmase Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2019
    I have a couple different flavors to mix things up .. I usually have a shake in the morning with unsweetened almond milk berries and oats.. or sometime maybe a banana with chocolate protein and wowbutter .. I just change it uo so I dont get bored lol I also make oatmeal with a scoop in it and some fruit .. protein pancakes.. I weight train everyday except Sundays and my daily protein goal is pretty high so I use the powder quite a bit. Except lunch and supper I eat actual meat :D Oh yeah putting a scoop in some 0% greek yogurt or cottage cheese is a great snack too!
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    Putting it in chia pudding. I've also wondered if it's possible to mix it into nut butter and put it on a sandwich.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    edited February 2019
    I make pancakes with mine. I'll use equal parts by weight of regular pancake mix or a higher protein pancake mix with protein powder. Then I add vanilla extract, an egg and water until I get the consistency I want. Depending on the pancake mix I use comes out pretty good imo, just slightly more fragile (so I make smaller pancakes).
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Baked beans and in soups.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Milk of any kind, 1/2 to full scoop protein powder, tbs cocoa powder and THIS IS important, a dash of xantham gum and then blend til smooth. BOOM something that tastes exactly a Wendy's frosty and it's whipped like a frosty would be. Hits that ice cream craving almost every time
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited February 2019
    "Sludge" method - using very sparing amounts of water or EVOO (if you're into high fat) to make a pudding like consistency. Add what you like based on your macros/goals (berries, nuts, legumes, flaxseed, cereal, oats, various nut butters, etc.). Looks disgusting but tastes awesome (isn't that what really matters?)

Arguably is more satisfying being less liquid-y but more of a PIA to wash/clean

Other option is to make "fluff"; requires a casein based protein & kitchen aid blending device to create a very high volume/airy/whipped pudding like concoction.
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Anyone have good single serve desserts made with protein powder? Like mug cakes or cookies?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    simmoner4 wrote: »
    Anyone have good single serve desserts made with protein powder? Like mug cakes or cookies?

The cookie recipe on the back of the flapJacked protein pancake mix is actually really good. The donut recipe on the apple cinnamon one is good too.