Long Distance Fuels

Hey friends! Throwing a question or two out into the forum for those who train for long distances; whether it be running, cycling, etc... Endurance training more specifically.

Has anyone used the Honey Stinger energy gels? I love the chews, but I'm not coordinated enough to use them on my runs. :lol: Honestly, I probably just need more practice.

Anyways, with the Honey Stinger gels, I wanted to try them out this coming weekend. So, I'm looking to see how others have faired energy wise and performance level in general.

Also, if anyone has any other favorite gels they prefer - toss them out. I know Gu is very popular, but my digestive system, didn't seem to enjoy them too much. Same with Cliff gels.

I'd love to chomp on regular foods like bananas, dates, candies, etc...but I'm trying not to deal with smaller items and pieces, as I mentioned with the chews above. Sounds silly honestly after typing it though... LOL.

Thanks for taking the time! :smile:

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    I love all the Honey Stinger products but I am the opposite of you. I can pop two or three chews into my mouth (if the package is already open) but I can't for the life of me open a gel pack, slug it and not choke.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    edited February 2019
    I love all the Honey Stinger products but I am the opposite of you. I can pop two or three chews into my mouth (if the package is already open) but I can't for the life of me open a gel pack, slug it and not choke.

HA! I generally chock up my fueling #FAILS to being clumsy. I do pretty well with the gels surprisingly...
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i like the chews over the gels. easier for me to use.
    or there are sport beans.
    there are the stinger waffles which i usually use prerun or post run

i have tabs to put in my water...no handling involved
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited February 2019
    I use the chews because I can’t tolerate a huge influx of sugar at once (any gels). I put them in “snack-sized” ziplock bags. Honey stinger brand seems to agree with me the most. I found that I got kind of tired of chewing after 15 or so miles-so I supplement with tailwind for long distances.

I use then waffles post-run as well.
  • mbaker566
    oh some people use the individual peanut butter or almond butter packets
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member

I use the chews because I can’t tolerate a huge influx of sugar at once (any gels). I put them in “snack-sized” ziplock bags. Honey stinger brand seems to agree with me the most. I found that I got kind of tired of chewing after 15 or so miles-so I supplement with tailwind for long distances.

I use then waffles post-run as well.

I haven't tried the waffles yet. Might look into those as well for post runs.
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    oh some people use the individual peanut butter or almond butter packets

This is kind of genius, can't believe I hadn't thought of utilizing something like individual packets of PB for runs. Doh! :lol:

Will also keep this on the back-burner for potential things to try out.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Crystallized ginger chunks.
    Packed full o sugar, and the ginger keeps me from getting pukey mid run. Plus, they don’t melt in my camelback.
  • mbaker566
    you might check out what ultra runners use. there is more real food in those races. i discovered mash potato balls
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    A lot of it as is personal preference. I find the torq stuff quite good and plenty of flavours. There is also high carb drink like maurten which has 80g of carbs per 500ml serving. I've not tried so can't say what I think of it. Also things like jelly babies etc are a perfect fuel source. And for natural fuel ideas there is also a book called the feed zone portables with a load of recipes
  • bllaura10
    bllaura10 Posts: 42 Member
    Maybe way off here because I’m not experienced in this what so ever but I’ve heard of people using baby food pouches...
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I've never had an issue with their gels in terms of digestion. That said honey can sometimes make my mouth feel a bit weird which is why I never really tried more than one of their gels.

Have you tried the clif blocs? Their packaging makes them really easy to eat with just one hand (once the package is opened).