PROTEIN ALERT - Crawfish Season Is Here!!

austinwb8
austinwb8 Posts: 149 Member
edited February 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Crawfish season is here!!!! I LOVE crawfish and it was a pleasant surprise to learn how much protein is in crawfish. I got 157 grams from my 3 lb order. WOW!

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    austinwb8 wrote: »
    Crawfish season is here!!!! I LOVE crawfish and it was a pleasant surprise to learn how much protein is in crawfish. I got 157 grams from my 3 lb order. WOW!

Mmmmm... crawfish. Thanks for the heads up. I absolutely love them... wish I still lived in Louisiana though. We have them here but they are half the size and twice the cost. The trend is also towards a "fusion" style where they are smothered in a spicy oil/butter. The calories count for that has to be astronomical. I miss the tried and true southern "boil" and spices.
  • austinwb8
    No doubt....Louisiana style is the best!!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    austinwb8 wrote: »

Mmmmm... crawfish. Thanks for the heads up. I absolutely love them... wish I still lived in Louisiana though. We have them here but they are half the size and twice the cost. The trend is also towards a "fusion" style where they are smothered in a spicy oil/butter. The calories count for that has to be astronomical. I miss the tried and true southern "boil" and spices.

Ugh. They do that with crab here and it kills me. Who wants to splash sauce all over the place when trying to crack your crab? The seasoning is supposed to go in the boil!
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member

Ugh. They do that with crab here and it kills me. Who wants to splash sauce all over the place when trying to crack your crab? The seasoning is supposed to go in the boil!

Marylander here (home of blue crabs) we don't boil.. we steam them.. seasoning springler on top of crabs then steamed.. pick the meat.. Rob it on the seasoning on the steamed crab..

Crawdads.. love them also.. LA style boil of course.. 😎

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    If someone would crack them for me so I couldn't see their beady eyes...stringy legs and hair like antennaes.....I would be less grossed out :s
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    If it didn't look up at me I would feel better.
  • lx1x
    dsboohead wrote: »
    If it didn't look up at me I would feel better.

Put your finger on it's eyes.. crack head off.. no staring eyes . 😆
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Not a crawfish to be found in NJ. Never had one.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    The fact that this doesn't exist in PA makes me SO dang jealous. It is hard to even find crawdads in market without driving 45 minutes.
  • austinwb8
    alywei3773 wrote: »
    The fact that this doesn't exist in PA makes me SO dang jealous. It is hard to even find crawdads in market without driving 45 minutes.

Yes, you're missing out Aly....they are delicious!! I'm sure there are some great things in PA that we southerners don't have access to, but it would be real difficult to give up "mud bugs"!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    alywei3773 wrote: »

I thought we had crayfish (just Googled & it's supposedly the same thing)?
  • lx1x

I thought we had crayfish (just Googled & it's supposedly the same thing)?

Same thing.. just different names depending who you ask.. 😁

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crayfish
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    They call them "yabbies" in Australia to even further confuse everybody.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    If someone would crack them for me so I couldn't see their beady eyes...stringy legs and hair like antennaes.....I would be less grossed out :s

I agree. Just no..... lol
  • austinwb8
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

I agree. Just no..... lol

I am guessing that you don’t suck their heads....LOL
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    But we can catch our own as soon as it's warm enough..

Ditto here in MN. Currently under a good foot of snow and thick ice that’s not going anywhere anytime soon.
    Got a craving now 😉
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Crayfish in the UK where, like lobster, they are a very expensive delicacy......I wish I could afford them but have to make do with prawns, crab [love it] mussels and scallops........trouble with crustaceans is that as well as being full of protein they're full of cholesterol. I love them though.....very jealous not to be in Louisiana for the crawfish season.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Crawfish is the ONLY good thing about Louisiana.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    edited February 2019
    Ahem. “Mudbugs” ☺️

@austinwb8 @Crafty_camper123

Love crawfish!!!! 🦞 especially steamed or in an old fashioned boil with just spice!
    Love Louisiana too! 💕

Could go for a pretty bayou drive right now for some Cajun food. 👍🏻 waving from the northeast!
    @njitaliana
    They actually do sell crawfish in supermarkets up here in NY and NJ ...esp fish markets. They are soo worth the try!
    I might have to add them to my list now since you guys have me thinking of them!!