Taking a fiber supplement and some other questions.

Let me preface by saying I have PCOS and have a hard time losing weight, despite staying within my calorie range and working out 3 to 4 times a week. I have been working with a trainer twice a week for about 6 to 7 weeks now and haven't lost a pound (the last time I weighed about 2 weeks ago). My legs are much firmer now and my clothes are fitting a bit looser so I guess it is making a difference body-wise. I would like to lose at least 2 pants sizes which I figure for me would be around 30 pounds. (I am only 5' tall and weighed 181 the last time I weighed myself. I'm not really flabby though. I have had a tummy tuck and breast reduction, if that makes a difference.)

I just started taking Metamucil yesterday. I know my body needs the extra fiber, for one. Its seems to have curbed my appetite today too. (However, I'm anxious to see if it curbs my appetite a week from now.) I just noticed today that it has aspartame in it and I'm not happy about that but otherwise, is there anything bad or wrong with taking a fiber supplement? What about a B12 supplement? I also started that yesterday too. (I always feel so tired even though I'm getting exercise on a regular basis.)

Also, I am a night-owl by nature, especially during the summer (stay-at-home-mom). So I tend to eat my first meal around 12 to 1pm but sometimes as late as 3pm because that is when I finally start to get hungry. But sometimes I'm not even hungry then. I just make myself eat. Then my meals throughout the day are spread a few hours apart. I'm trying to change my sleep schedule because school starts in a week for my son, but I have ALWAYS had a hard time sleeping at night and getting up early and not taking a nap throughout the day. I am just the kind of person who feels better and more active at night. In fact, I just got finished exercising at 11:30 tonight. Is this why I am not losing weight? How bad is this for me and how do I change it? (I would love to go back to work so I could have a normal schedule but it would be impossible at this time.)

Replies

• GoinToKickThis
    GoinToKickThis Posts: 19 Member
    I have PCOS also and take Metformin, fiber gummies (they are better than drinking it), womans one a day vitamins and am finally starting to feel some energy. Its hard I know but looking at your lack of schedule might just be the cause of not feeling well. I know that when I was a stay at home mom its hard. Maybe you need to make yourself a work schedule at home. Like you have to be at work at 8am. So make sure to eat breakfast before hand, work out or do your home chores, lunch break, back to work and try to make sure to get at least 8 hours sleep. Sleep is very important.
    I dunno, I'm not a doc but just a suggestion.. Hope this helps..
  • amanstewa3
    amanstewa3 Posts: 60 Member
    How does Metformin make you feel? The endocrinologist prescribed it for me and I could not take it. It made my heart pound out of my chest and made me overwhelmingly sleepy. I even tried cutting the dose in half and taking it with food but it was still the same effect. I have heard it works well for a lot of people though.

You are right, I do need to make a schedule. I lack one now in a major way. I quit work in February and haven't had any type of schedule since then other than going to work out in the evenings for the past couple months. I think not working or having something to do is really getting to me. My husband says I need a hobby. lol
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    I agree with Aimee on the sleep thing. I don't think your body cares if the sun is up or down, as long as it gets plenty of sleep time. I don't know if this is accurate, but I was told by my trainer that it's during sleep when our bodies grow, make repairs, and strengthen. His example was how kids get leg cramps at night when they are going through a growth spurt, and how you can go to bed at one weight, and wake up weighing 3 lbs. less. I'm a night owl, too, for the same reason. I got laid off at work and summertime came so the kids were home. All day long I was doing the mommy thing, so it wasn't until they went to bed that I finally had time to myself. I began intentionally staying up late, well into the early morning hours, and intentionally sleeping late so I didn't have to watch yet another rerun on The Disney Channel with singing, dancing teenagers. And I also enjoy my naps. I look at them as a time to recharge. I can tell you not once ever, ever have I GAINED weight while asleep. :)
  • GoinToKickThis
    GoinToKickThis Posts: 19 Member
    The only side effects I have from the metformin is a tummy ache once in a while. Nothing horrible. I take a pill before I go to bed so I sleep through the tummy ache and take one with my lunch so it isn't horrible. I can tell when I don't take it. It is to help regulate the sugars in your body to help prevent diabetes.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    I also have PCOS. Eat your fiber in your foods rather than taking metamucil or other products. The fiber will keep you full long-term if you are eating it. It does help you lose weight. Fiber also helps carry out fats and toxins so you get triple benefits from eating it (metamucil doesn't do that because it is already partially broken down when you swallow it).

Cutting calories, drinking water, eating fiber and protein will work to take the weight off even with the PCOS.
  • mbmarti2
    mbmarti2 Posts: 1 Member
    I also have PCOS. Eat your fiber in your foods rather than taking metamucil or other products. The fiber will keep you full long-term if you are eating it. It does help you lose weight. Fiber also helps carry out fats and toxins so you get triple benefits from eating it (metamucil doesn't do that because it is already partially broken down when you swallow it).

Cutting calories, drinking water, eating fiber and protein will work to take the weight off even with the PCOS.

This is not true for everyone. Doing those things does not help everyone with PCOS lose weight. It isn’t that simple.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited February 2019
    https://www.amazon.com/Konsyl-Supplement-All-Natural-Gluten-Free-Sugar-Free/dp/B079G2K943?th=1
    Plain old psyillium husk with no artificial sweeteners or sugar
    Taste is bland like a high fiber cereal but definitely do-able (just use enough water and stay upright for a good 30 minutes; chocking hazard for psyllium products). Those orange flavored products just taste disgusting IMO