Should I rest or push it?

I just started lifting two days ago. I'm a weakling so I'm only lifting 10 lbs but my whole body is sore. Between the lifting amd the squats, it hurts to even move most of the time. Should I keep pushing myself through the pain or should I rest? I dont want to injure myself but I also don't want to "take it easy" just because I'm new and can't handle it I guess. Also what are some ways to relieve the soreness beyond a hot bath? Food, stretches, anything? And any advice for a new lifter?

I'm 25, about 5'7", and trying to lose 80-85 lbs and lean up. I'm not trying to become a body builder, I just want to lean out and build my strength. Please and thank you!

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    By two days ago, do you mean that you lifted for two days in a row? If you are just starting out, it's probably best to give yourself 1-2 rest days in between training sessions. Rest days do not have to be spent idle. In fact, moving around will definitely help with the soreness. Try some stretching or an easy yoga video. Couple that with a walk or some light cardio and that should help with the soreness. It's also important to stay hydrated.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    First off, are you having actual pain or is it muscle soreness? It's entirely possible that you can't answer that but there is a difference. If you are having any sharp pains, see a doctor. If it's more like muscle soreness, take an extra day before you lift again but do a light activity like walking.

What program are you following with your lifting? I started off completely overweight and out of shape (super sedentary) and I was so completely miserably sore after my first bodyweight workout. I learned to really scale back what my program called for. You may need to do that and trust me, it is okay. It is far better to start out slow and increase intensity with baby steps than it is to go all out, hurt yourself, and risk falling off the exercise wagon all together.

Good job getting started!
  • rckeeper22
    rckeeper22 Posts: 103 Member
    Water and sufficient amount of protein will help with residual soreness, as well as stretching and foam rolling.

Also, what's the frequency of your workout plan (aka, how many days per week are you planning to lift?)

Do you have particular muscles you're trying to focus on each day, or are you going for more of a whole-body workout?

Taking adequate rest is important for everyone, regardless of how in shape they are, but "adequate" may depend on your experience level, how often/how hard you're going, etc.

Note: If you're literally in pain, as in something feels injured, and not just soreness, then I recommend stopping for sure, to evaluate what's causing the injury.

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Definitely stretch it out. Drink plenty of water. As far as whether or not you should take a rest day, that is up to you. For me, I usually still go (my gym schedule is 4 days a week). If it is just your legs that are sore, you could do an upper body day too. Rest days are important and beneficial to muscle repair.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    I lift when I am sore. unless I have a specific injury I lift regardless of how sore I am. I pay attention to my diet when dealing w DOMS but I do still lift.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    It's normal to feel a certain amount of discomfort when embarking on a new fitness regimen especially when starting from scratch.

It may sound counter-intuitive but one of the best ways to counteract DOMS is to keep moving (something low impact and not too strenous like a good walk, swimming, an easy bike ride). A warm bath with Epsom salts can help (in extreme cases and ice bath may be in order too......I've had a few of those after really hard runs, they're not pleasant but they can help) you may also want to take a NSAID such as advil to relieve some of the inflammation.

The best way to avoid soreness in the future is to not overdo it. It sounds like you may have bitten off more than you can chew with your first workout, I'm going to guess that you may have just winged it?

Find a program that fits your needs, I'm a big fan of stronglifts 5 x 5 as a beginning strength program. It's structured, progressive and doesn't take a huge time commitment. It's intended for barbells (you start with an empty Olympic bar which is 45 lbs) but you can do all of the exercises with lighter dumbbells if that's too heavy to start.

Feel better!
  • BossMomma16
    BossMomma16 Posts: 14 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    First off, are you having actual pain or is it muscle soreness? It's entirely possible that you can't answer that but there is a difference. If you are having any sharp pains, see a doctor. If it's more like muscle soreness, take an extra day before you lift again but do a light activity like walking.

What program are you following with your lifting? I started off completely overweight and out of shape (super sedentary) and I was so completely miserably sore after my first bodyweight workout. I learned to really scale back what my program called for. You may need to do that and trust me, it is okay. It is far better to start out slow and increase intensity with baby steps than it is to go all out, hurt yourself, and risk falling off the exercise wagon all together.

I don't necessarily have a program right now. I'm just using a bar and doing lifts I can think of off the top of my head. Then I do them as many times as possible. And it's just soreness but it's very sore. I didn't do very much the first day so yesterday I really tried to push myself, but I wasnt sure if that was the right way to do it.
  • BossMomma16
    BossMomma16 Posts: 14 Member
    rckeeper22 wrote: »
    Water and sufficient amount of protein will help with residual soreness, as well as stretching and foam rolling.

Also, what's the frequency of your workout plan (aka, how many days per week are you planning to lift?)

Do you have particular muscles you're trying to focus on each day, or are you going for more of a whole-body workout?

Taking adequate rest is important for everyone, regardless of how in shape they are, but "adequate" may depend on your experience level, how often/how hard you're going, etc.

Note: If you're literally in pain, as in something feels injured, and not just soreness, then I recommend stopping for sure, to evaluate what's causing the injury.

I think more of a whole body workout. I'm just trying to lean out and build strength. I am a serious weakling and I'm ready to get over that. Lol. And I am an extreme beginner. I have never lifted weights before two days ago.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    jemhh wrote: »

I don't necessarily have a program right now. I'm just using a bar and doing lifts I can think of off the top of my head. Then I do them as many times as possible. And it's just soreness but it's very sore. I didn't do very much the first day so yesterday I really tried to push myself, but I wasnt sure if that was the right way to do it.

Run a structured program. Also, you shouldn't be working the same muscles/groups of muscles on consecutive days. Full body programs are best for beginners and really, outside of body building and other competitive lifting, a full body program is probably good for most people. Full body programs are usually run 2-3 times per week on non consecutive days to allow the body to rest and recover. Recovery is where the magic actually happens.
  • StephSuter2508
    StephSuter2508 Posts: 31 Member
    I found when I started with weights I hurt so bad I could barely walk, but I found that gentle exercise on the day after a weights session helps to loosen me up. I would also ensure if I am doing leg exercises I dont do it the day before I am due a run, I plan a swim to help my legs recover. I will do a run the day after I do arms to allow them to recover etc

If you are new I would say aim for 3 times a week to do weights, and rest, so maybe Mon, Weds and Fri do weights at the gym and then on your other days do something like cycling, swimming or running and ensure you have one or two days a week when you have rest from exercise, rest days are equally as important as working out as its during rest that you build muscle
  • keithlongpre
    keithlongpre Posts: 17 Member
    Bcaa's definitely help with recovery for Dom's.. also I want to note when I first started lifting I didn't feel like I pushed myself excessively over the top but the next day I woke up sooooo sore the pain lasted for about 1.5 weeks. After I got through the pain (rested the entire 1.5 weeks) I continued the same routine and then started increasing the intensity and now I barely ever get Dom's (delayed onset muscle soreness)
  • vetklep88
    vetklep88 Posts: 7 Member
    My advice would be full body workouts and rest until you are no longer sore. As a beginner this will mean 2-3 workouts per week max.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Have a read through this thread (below) and choose a programme that suits you, ability, time, equipment, etc.

Take it slow, use lighter weight and concentrate on good form before upping the weights.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Cheers, h.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Pretty much just chiming in with everyone else. If you are sure it's just "sore" rather than an injury, maybe break for a day or two tops, and just go a bit lighter until you are more comfortable. But if it's an actual injury, stop working that area and let ot heal, to avoid permanent damage.
    If you aren't 100% positive on which it is, take a day off to rest ice and heat, and see if it feels better, centralizes to a more specific spot (usually a good indication of injury) or just fades a bit.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Follow a program. You should*almost* never just do as many as you can of any exercise. When super sore, stretch, walk , basically take an "active rest day". Yoga could also be helpful.