WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2019

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    edited February 2019
    Tracey - Have a look at this video on YouTube.

Epley Manoeuvre: Performed on a real patient suffering from vertigo.

It's two doctors curing a woman patient of dizziness. I watched the video several times and performed the manoeuvre on my DH on the end of our bed. He was suffering from overwhelming dizziness. The first time I did it he was completely cured! :D He did find the initial lie down extremely scary and tried to get up as he was frightened, but I persevered and made him go through with it. It is a miracle.
    It can't do any harm. Watch the video together several times and copy it absolutely. I have heard of many people that this has worked for.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,041 Member
    DH and I went to a concert where the singer sang tunes from the 20's to the 70's . We both enjoyed it and the DS and I went to see Lego Movie II. We both enjoyed it. It does have some good jokes in it.

Overall a very nice Valentine's Day!

:heart: Margaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    Oooo
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Well, I am down offmy hill for the day. I'm not at all sure how I'm getting back up. My rhwumatologist renewed all my Rx for arthritis and fibromyalgia, and I got started with my physical therapist on a program to build strength and balance as I lose weight. I have very little cardiovascular energy right now, so we're working on that by increasing steps.

Rori, Machka, Heather, Sue, and all the rest of you who have spouses who are ill or recovering from illness, I wish you the best. It's difficult to care for a partner physically while retaining the are we have for them emotionally. Have a happy Valentine's Day in whatever way you can.

Sharon Near Seattle
  • pipcd34
    /:::://:/:/:::::
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Happy International Book Giving Day (and happy Valentine's Day)!

April - Way to go with taking the stairs! (I'm sure that's angels you're hearing!) Those small changes can add up fast.

Barbie - What a mess... I'll bet you're anxious to have those cabinets done!

Machka - I can identify with you on the paperwork. It's not any fun even when you're not dealing with grief and loss and uncertainty. I've been procrastinating, so I have to spend my day off tomorrow getting papers sorted out and ready for the tax accountant. Yuck.

Tracey - Crossing my fingers that dream call will happen for you!

Nicole - So glad to hear your chiropractor was able to fix your vertigo!

Okie - I'm only just now starting to see a difference in my clothes. It'll probably take another 5-10 pounds before I'm down a size, but I do have to use a belt now to keep my jeans up. I'll take it!

Kim - Good luck with your interview! Hope the company that is taking over turns out to be a good one. About personal finance... I think younger people really do need to have some kind of "side hustle," or at least get in the habit of continually evaluating their options, because companies don't value long-time employees anymore. When the company isn't loyal to its employees, there's no reason for the employees to trust their futures to just one job.

Barbara - No idea how the lizard got in, but we live in an old house and some of the doors don't fit as tightly as modern ones. We have a lot of anoles that hang out in the bushes around the house. It was probably looking for a warm spot!

Yesterday our local microbrewery had a release party for their limited edition Valentine's beer, a strawberry chocolate stout. It was delicious, and I walked there and back with Luna to make up for the pint I knew I'd have. Knowing I can make choices like that and still keep up with my goals makes me feel like what I'm doing is sustainable.

Philip and I didn't do anything for Valentine's Day. That's kind of boring, but maybe we'll do something this weekend instead.

-Yvonne in TX
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Took the Power Hour class. The plan for tomorrow is to do Jari Love’s Ripped to the Core DVD

Barbara – that is so sad (and a pain) for your friend. About my white legs getting tan….down here I am only in the sun for an hour. I know that I’m prone to burning, and that I DO NOT want. I’d rather take it slow. Also, that gives me the chance to do other things, too. Sorry about your sick Wii. I know that I don’t know what I’d do if mine gave out. Probably get a newer model. I have an older one and I won’t spend the $$ for a few extra games. Unfortunately, they aren’t compatible with the older Wii (what else is new?)

Happy Valentine’s Day! You all are such loves you deserve a big hug on Valentine’s Day (and every day)

Off to buy the newspaper then go to the gym before the class

Exercised – walked on the treadmill before taking the class, then we went to donate the old TV to the SPCA thrift store, bought gas, went to the ceramics place here but I need to go tomorrow when the owner is there, went bowling, then to WalMart. Canasta tonight. I tell you, I’m not a sweater (someone who sweats a lot) but this class has me sweating.

Tracey – we do go to the NASCAR race on Saturday. Well, Vince goes to the race. I go shopping in the mall across the street. But on Sunday the mall is usually closed so I do go to the race. It’s pretty cool today and breezy, the pool wasn’t opened until late in the day. So looks like I might have to deal with not-quite-tan legs. Well, hopefully, next week it’ll be nice.

Vicki – great new about your labs, but not so great news about the colonoscopy. Well, it’ll be over before you know it

Allie – great news from the MD

Played canasta. I prefer playing here than with the Newcomers. Some of the people at Newcomers are just so intense that it’s not fun to me. Here it’s more relaxed, or so it seems to me. I guess there are some people who are intense.

Michele now in FL where she had to wear pants
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)
  • pipcd34
    stats for the day:

ride hm to gym 8.31min, 1.5mi= 94c
    ride gym to dome-6.23min, 1.4mi= 60c
    walk sta 2 wk- 8.06min, .5mi= 70c
    slow jog wrk 2 sta- 6.22min, .4mi= 70c
    ride dome 2 hm- 21.44min, 2.5mi= 217c

total cal 511
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I had another physiotherapy appointment about my hip Wed afternoon, and she gave me a bunch of exercises to do. There appears to be several issues having to do with tendons, cartilage, and my back. She also referred me to a Sport Dr and told me that it would be a few weeks before I'd get in to see one.

Yesterday, I got a phone call that I could come in this morning and see a Sports Dr. That was quick!! He did a whole bunch of tests and he has diagnosed me with greater trochanteric pain syndrome and right lumbar facet joint inflammation in my back. I'm on strong anti-inflammatories to settle the inflammation, plus a set of easier exercises than my physio prescribed. I'm not up to that level yet, which might have been why I struggled with them yesterday. I can also cycle lightly and walk with a short gait.

I'm to go back to my physio next week, and then see him (Sports Dr) again in about 5 weeks.

M in Oz

Oh, I can also work on very, very, very gently stretching my hamstrings ... and doing some upper body weights.

My hamstrings are incredibly tight. During so-called "toe touches" I can touch my knees. So that might be a contributing factor. But I can't leap into most hamstring stretches because I'll damage my hamstrings.

Of this list, I can do Numbers 5 and 6, just ... and I don't imagine for one minute that Number 1 will ever be possible.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323703.php

M in Oz
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Machka Of this list, I can do Numbers 5 and 6, just ... and I don't imagine for one minute that Number 1 will ever be possible. Number 1 could be quite easy, you don't need to get your leg straight right off the bat. I would actually recommend starting with a towel or something as is shown in the second stretch, and then just go gently til you can feel the stretch. I realize that because your hamstrings are so tight, that won't be very far, but as with anything else, you have to work up to it. Your first bike ride wasn't 100 k, right? :)
    Reading all posts, thinking good thoughts for all of you.
    Getting really tired of winter, I know it's only been a few days, but I'm done. Was very happy that I didn't have to work the past few days, so no urgency to get out. I did have a few appointments, but the roads were clear enough to get out for them. It also only took a few hours for the one on Wed, and today I think we were back home in about an hour! Did some grocery shopping on Wed too, so that was good. Picked up hubby's prescriptions today. That man is getting expensive! lol (good thing he's cute!)
    Got the bargain of the century, in my book anyway. Have been looking for bar stools for our kitchen, we have the eat at counter, or it would be if I got some of the stuff off it! But, as I said, I've been looking and couldn't find what I wanted. Apparently nobody makes them anymore. I wanted wooden ones, with backs, sort of like a captains chair, swivel of course. I was at work (I work at a storage facility) and there was a woman there who was doing some organizing and she had a couple of that type of chair outside her locker! I made a comment about just what I was looking for, she said they were her son's so she couldn't sell them. I kind of forgot about it, I was busy, but then when she was leaving, I happened to be out on the lot and she gave me her phone number and said if I really wanted them to give her a call and we could set something up. She only wanted $50 for 4 chairs! Came home, mentioned it to hubby, he says "so did you buy them?", well no, wanted to talk to him first. Well, I called and then got together with her on Saturday, the chairs are in pretty good shape, but we are going to sand them down and refinish them. They are a little scratched and need a good cleaning, well, if they get sanded, they won't need cleaning! lol Then we will stain them to match the cupboards. Makes me happy! On that note, off to shower and bed. Work tomorrow.
    Hugs to those who need them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island, where it is snowing yet again!
  • Machka9
    edited February 2019
    evie1958 wrote: »
    Machka Of this list, I can do Numbers 5 and 6, just ... and I don't imagine for one minute that Number 1 will ever be possible. Number 1 could be quite easy, you don't need to get your leg straight right off the bat. I would actually recommend starting with a towel or something as is shown in the second stretch, and then just go gently til you can feel the stretch. I realize that because your hamstrings are so tight, that won't be very far, but as with anything else, you have to work up to it. Your first bike ride wasn't 100 k, right? :)

I feel the stretch if I were to lie on my back and raise my leg about 6 inches off the ground. :lol:

lpia7zj3jfbx.png

But you're right ... small steps. And so I've started doing Number 5, and even with that one, I just have to sit on the edge of the chair and raise my toes, without leaning forward, to get a stretch.

c7krm5ih8xg2.png

Machka in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Machka - I know you are incredibly busy already, but it looks as if an easy yoga class would really help you. <3 I am sorry your body is so stiff. Is there any reason for that? I am nearly 70 and do that kind of exercise every day with ease. Years of easy yoga.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka - I know you are incredibly busy already, but it looks as if an easy yoga class would really help you. <3 I am sorry your body is so stiff. Is there any reason for that? I am nearly 70 and do that kind of exercise every day with ease. Years of easy yoga.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

I'm a long distance cyclist ... we're notorious for having shortened hamstrings. :smiley:

Also, I've never been able to touch my toes or anything like that ... not even when I was a small child. I remember trying to do it in Grade 1, and being one of the few in class who couldn't.

Quite a number of years ago, I took a yoga class each winter for two winters with an excellent instructor. She knew all about cycling and the shortened hamstring thing, and really helped me. With her, I came the closest I've ever come to being able to touch my toes and be a little bit flexible.

But then I moved and moved and moved ... and got busier ...

There was a time soon after we moved here that I thought about taking a class at lunch, but the class was held in a shop front with a big window looking out on a busy footpath. Those of us walking past could see everything ... and I was just too intimidated by that.

M in Oz