WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2019

Replies

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Heather thanks for letting me know your meal times and approx. calories allocated.

You have also given me a few ideas, now I have retired I'm going to try and ease off the ready meals and cook from scratch using frozen veggies etc. I must admit the ready meals are mainly for my son when he come home from work late at night, but I could leave him something in the instant pot instead. Healthier for both of us!

Love Viv UK <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    So glad you had a lovely time in London, Viv. The tube can be horrific at peak times, even for Londoners like me. I try to avoid rush hours. You had good weather for your day out. :D

With regard to all round exercise. It is very important to 'cross train' and not just do one thing all the time. Some cardiovascular, some strength training and some flexibility. I do all three every day, but I should think three times a week would be sufficient. My son 'overtrained' for his half marathon and strained his Achilles tendon. His sports therapist told him to vary his training, so he is now doing swimming and coming to our house to use the elliptical. He also has a PT for stretching etc. Just running three or four times a week wasn't working for his body.
    I do my machines for cardio, mat work for pilates/yoga flexibilty and body weight strength, plus weights for strength. The last two are done on my bedroom on a yoga mat, so you don't need much space to make a huge difference.
    Yesterday's dancing has made my calves a bit stiff and I can still feel my knee from Tuesday's Swing dancing, but I hope I am up to my first "run" (jog/shuffle) in three weeks this afternoon. The weather is glorious!
    This morning I am going to the dentist. :#:/

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Morning Lovelies~
    I am up and dressed watched Joyce and had my tea.. went to a valentines party here at my condo complex and had fun, there was a whole table full of sweets, and bless someones heart someone brought a veggie tray.. i just had like 3 slices of cucumber,,, brought my bottled water with pineapple coconut flavoring in it.. left before end of the party as I had to work this morning..
    It doesn't really phase me anymore about sweets..I do miss bread and a good baked potato..and when I get to my goal weight maybe once in a blue moon I will have a potato.. but not for right now...
    working 9-5 today, and doing my routine this morning.. here is hoping my DFIL eats today yesterday morning he was having none of it,.
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Oh Kelly! I can understand your frustration with Tim. I would agree that if someone isn't willing to try to make things better, then they need to stop complaining. Whatever the issue/problem is. Big HUGS to you. I hope he is able to make some changes to release some of the weight on your shoulders.

Unreal weather expected here in the Hill Country today. We are forecast to hit 88 today. Only mid 70's for the highs over the weekend though. I think I will sit on the back porch with my book and read for a while this afternoon to enjoy the weather. I might even put on some shorts and get my legs a little less white :smiley:

Happy Friday Ladies!

Okie in the TX Hill Country

• cityjaneLondon
    KJ - sooooo glad to hear from you. <3 I was beginning to worry.
    I do around 12 mins of the strength and stretch type exercises. I do around 5 minutes of strength. Then I do a short weights routine. I would think that anything is better than nothing. :D Give it a go.
    I totally understand your feelings about your husband. You are entitled to feel angry with him. Seeing a doctor would be a good first step. He is probably depressed.
    That is not an excuse.
    Love you my friend.
    Heather UK XXXXXX
  • cityjaneLondon
    KJ - sooooo glad to hear from you. <3 I was beginning to worry.
    I do around 12 mins of the strength and stretch type exercises. I do around 5 minutes of strength. Then I do a short weights routine. I would think that anything is better than nothing. :D Give it a go.
    I totally understand your feelings about your husband. You are entitled to feel angry with him. Seeing a doctor would be a good first step. He is probably depressed.
    That is not an excuse.
    Love you my friend.
    Heather UK XXXXXX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    Lll
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) My new Yaktrax made my gratitude list this morning. I could never have walked yesterday afternoon or before breakfast without them. The streets are mostly plowed but there is so much surprise ice and snow that I couldn't have walked in my regular shoes or boots.

<3Kelly, my husband went through a phase of complaining all the time. He'd get up every morning and walk into the dining room complaining about some ache or pain. One day he asked me if I thought he was a complainer and I told him what I'd observed. He's a lot better now. Good for you for speaking up.

<3 Barbie from gradually warming NW WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    NYKAREN - Oooooohhhh Florence! B) It was one of our first trips together. <3

I WENT FOR MY RUN!!!! o:) Fabulous sunshine, blue, blue sea. It could have been April. I ended up running in my T shirt. I went further than usual because we stopped for the world's second best chocolate ice cream, which we ate, and also for some feta and spinach rolls to put in the freezer. Other than that I ran all the way, so in all it was well over 6k.
    We passed a trio of women breastfeeding on a bench and a trio of mother's with two sets of triplets and one of twins in buggies. :o Lots of people strolling and sitting in the sunshine. People sitting at outside café tables. Felt like the South of France!

My dental experience was ok this morning. Three fillings to my broken teeth. Ugh. No drilling though. Because it is an NHS dentist (hard to find these days) it was ridiculously cheap. £37. A private dentist would have charged hundreds.

Tomorrow I have booked a vegetarian Indian restaurant I have been wanting to try. Highly recommended by my son. It's a bit quirky, but well reviewed. A family run place. Called Planet India (Hove) We are going for 7pm, but on Friday and Saturday you can have a 'Pre - Telly Thali' from 5 pm. (Their take on a pre-theatre supper) :p If it's a nice evening we can easily walk there along the seafront.

Viv - Have you been watching 'The Best House in Town'? It was about York this week. Today is the final. I hate myself for watching it in the afternoon but I find it very addictive and a compulsive watch. Five locals go round to other people's (volunteers) houses and comment on the decor etc. Because it was York, where my friend lives, I was especially interested.
    BBC 1.

Love from Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,687 Member
    edited February 2019
    Michele - Sorry your weather is not well, that dampens a trip easily. Friends of ours just went on their dream vacation to Hawaii and it was too windy and rainy to be outside much for one whole week. I’ve been watching race stuff all week, being in Daytona would be my Hubby’s dream vacation after Europe.

Evelyn - What a great buy! So happy you found them.

Viv- sounds like a great trip, hope you get to go again some day. Hopefully your Mom’s mood lightens after s day out.

Kelly - I don’t think that you are asking too much of Tim at all. Hugs to you. Just let me know I would be happy to do it for you, no rush.

Machka - I wouldn’t have been kind or sympathetic in that situation either. My husband struggled keeping a job for 6 years and I was working full time. He was looking for work each time he was laid off, but I don’t feel he looked hard enough. I became very resentful.

Karen - have an amazing trip!

I watched a talk show a week or two ago and the subject was all about heart health for women. A physical trainer that was speaking said that you need to do all 3, cardio, strength and stretching but the most important was stretching as without that you get injured in the other two. I need to take heed. I have only been walking.

Yesterday I got the main body of Kaitlyn’s invitations printed and cut. I still need to stain 100 wooden hearts and print and cut the cards with information for the back pocket to be ready to assemble on Sunday. I will stain the hearts today after I go find 16 more rolls of lace.

Thankfully our car is working as I feel I’ll be driving a lot today!

Have s great day everyone.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    <3:)<3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Karen: I am happy to see your post.

Shannon in Rural Ontario, CAN: Some names are used again and again. Often pioneers have named their new home after their old one and it appears Ontario is one of those names. Two of my cousins live in Ontario, Oregon. :star:

Sharon near Seattle: Building strength is good and increasing steps is a good way to get there. I’m happy that you are working on it. :flowerforyou:

Yvonne: We didn’t do anything for Valentine’s Day either. We are not fond of crowds. We may go out to lunch today as a Valentines treat. :heart:

M in OZ: I am delighted that you were able to get into a sports doctor. His tests and diagnosis will undoubtedly help you to do the things needed to heal. I looked at the stretches online. I use a strap in yoga that allows me to stretch my tendon and gives good support. Mine is a woven material and I let my hands slide to a point where I’m stretching comfortably. The sports center also has stretchy rubber “straps” that aid with stretching legs and tendons. Both of the photos you posted look like good practices. I agree with Heather that a good yoga class could be beneficial if one is available to you. :bigsmile: Your flowers are gorgeous.

Michele: I hope you and Vince both enjoy your time in Florida. We occasionally watch the race on TV and have the wonderful opportunity to set the sound levels to our personal comfort level. Shopping at a nearby mall would be more fun than enduring the racing noise. :flowerforyou:

I’m off to yoga. I’ll get some calories burned and enjoy the company of the class. 90+ percent of us are 50+. I like the class and the social aspect of working out with friendy acquaintances & friends, too.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Good afternoon Ladies - Hubs did good for Valentines Day. He sent me two dozen roses last week (from Costco where the price is great when you pre-order and are OK with delivery before Valentines Day). They are still beautiful today. We chose not to go out to dinner, but he surprised me with smoked turkey and smoked brisket that I ate on the side of a big green salad. He put his on the salad, I wanted to enjoy the bbq on its own. Since I am as he calls it, in the zone on getting my holiday weight off, he let me decide if we went out or not. I'm not a fan of fighting the crowded restaurants on the actual day.

Scale moved in my favor again today! Yeah for eating as I should!

Okie in the TX Hill Country